Axiom Home Page
Posted By: steve11sim Advice on amplification - 12/17/11 05:20 AM
Hello... I'm working on a new theatre consisting of the m80v3, vp180, qs8's, and either the ep800 or svs pc13 ultra sub. I have the option of amplifying these speakers with either a theta dreadnaught gen ii or else an anthem statement p5 and I am wondering which amp would most likely sound better. They seem to review pretty similarly and I can get both for around the same money. I will be running it with the prmc5508 onkyo processor. So I suppose I have 2 questions... Which amp and which sub and if there are possibly better options That I am not aware of. Thanks for any advice!
Posted By: JohnK Re: Advice on amplification - 12/17/11 05:34 AM
Steve, the same answer which has been true in the past is still true and is unlikely to ever change: within their designed power limits all competently designed receivers and separate amplifiers(certainly including both units you mention)amplify transparently and add no audible sonic coloration. They simply increase the incoming voltage, typically about 30 times, so that it's high enough to drive speakers at audible levels required.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Advice on amplification - 12/17/11 08:04 AM
Either way, you are going to have one heck of a nice system.
Posted By: F16Thud Re: Advice on amplification - 12/19/11 04:28 PM
I would save your money, and get Emotiva gear! Well, if you are getting the amps you mentioned above for a REALLY good price, go for it!

I would suggest an Emotiva XPA-5! On sale for $769!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Advice on amplification - 12/20/11 03:49 PM
I would recommend Outlaw Audio amps.
Posted By: legivens Re: Advice on amplification - 12/20/11 09:26 PM
I agree with SirQuack. Just upgraded my Outlaw 750 to the 7900 last Friday at the same time I installed my M80v3's, VP180, QS8's and M2's. I am also running Outlaw LFM1-EX and Plus subs. The 7900 is a beast!
Posted By: Wid Re: Advice on amplification - 12/20/11 09:34 PM

Sounds to me the OP already has these amps. Either one listed would work great.
Posted By: bwallen77 Re: Advice on amplification - 12/20/11 09:38 PM

what pre pro are you running with the 7900? I plan on using it as well and have been waiting for the 978, but it just doesn't look like that guy is ever coming out.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Advice on amplification - 12/21/11 12:00 AM
I think it should be out pretty soon, but I'm currently using my Denon as a pre, but would like the 97 for advanced Audyssey 32.
Posted By: legivens Re: Advice on amplification - 12/21/11 03:51 PM
I'm running the Outlaw 950 currently. I agree with SirQuack that I believe the 978 will be out pretty soon also.
Posted By: bwallen77 Re: Advice on amplification - 12/21/11 11:53 PM
I certainly hope so. I don't want to be staring at a blank screen at the end of January because I don't have a prepro to run my shiny new home theater. I currently have a 990/7125 system in the family room, but I ran everything in the home theater with HDMI. I really hadn't planned on having to wait too much longer on the 978, but it looks like a fantastic product though. I have a feeling if I go with something else, I would regret it when the 978 come out.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Advice on amplification - 12/22/11 12:05 AM
I don't think you would regret it, the 978 isn't offering anything new that other avr's are not already offering, except maybe for a better price. I bet you could find a comparable avr on sale for the same price the 978 will be going for.
Posted By: legivens Re: Advice on amplification - 12/22/11 01:20 AM
bwallen77, I ended up running two HDMI cables to get me by for now when I installed my projector about 4 months ago. It's getting me by for now, but I'd like a pre/pro with HDMI switching and the hi def audio. I'm running hi def audio via the Oppo BDP93 analog outs, but still doesn't give me 7.1. I looked at the Marantz 7005 since I had a receiver by them quite some time ago I was very happy with, but like you, I'm trying to hold out for the 978. jakewash, the main reason I'm trying to hold out for the 978 is I've been very pleased with every Outlaw product I've owned including the 950 and it will use ESS Sabre DAC's. They've gotten high praise from the BDP93 community and I trust Outlaw to implement them well. Just my two cents.
Posted By: bwallen77 Re: Advice on amplification - 12/22/11 02:05 AM
Agreed. I have been a happy outlaw customer for years and the feature list on the 978 including the Sabre's sounds too enticing. I just don't know how long after the build is complete I'll be able to just look at a blank screen...
Posted By: jakewash Re: Advice on amplification - 12/22/11 03:39 AM
Nothing wrong with waiting for what you really want.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Advice on amplification - 12/22/11 05:31 AM
Yes, I have to agree with Jason; although the 978 will undoubtedly be fine when it arrives, and waiting for it won't likely be any cause for regret, excellent receivers from Denon and Onkyo are presently available with similar processing features and an amplifier included "for free".
Posted By: legivens Re: Advice on amplification - 12/24/11 02:46 PM
bwallen, I went ahead and pulled the plug on the Marantz SR5005 to serve as my pre/pro till the Outlaw 978 is released. It was 499 and I can always move things around later. It will end up in my bedroom.
Posted By: Jc Re: Advice on amplification - 12/24/11 06:35 PM
Originally Posted By: legivens
. . . I went ahead and pulled the plug on the Marantz SR5005 to serve as my pre/pro

Hi, I have installed two of them (bought from Outlaw) at friends and for both applications it performs beyond my expectations. I'm sure that you will be pleased with the results.
Posted By: legivens Re: Advice on amplification - 12/27/11 02:39 PM
Thanks Jc. I had a Marantz receiver years ago (lost in a divorce) that I was very pleased with. I figure the SR5005 will take care of anything I need until the 978 is released. This way I won't be in such a hurry. Then I can move the SR5005 to my bedroom.
© Axiom Message Boards