Axiom Home Page
If you were starting over again and were deciding between 60's or 80's and their matching center channels, which would you choose?

Posted By: CV Re: How will the new centers alter buying habits? - 12/18/11 12:13 AM
I'd still go with the M80s. Still interested in trying a VP180 or two, but it would be nice to see comparisons to the VP160 just for the sake of conversation. I think my plan is still to go with two VP180s: one above the screen, one below. JC is an inspiration.
2 180's? You,sir, are an embarrassment of riches! But I guess I'll let you vote twice then.
Posted By: CV Re: How will the new centers alter buying habits? - 12/18/11 12:23 AM
Ha ha. I don't have the money for them at this point. I keep sidetracking myself with other stuff, and the holidays haven't helped. After the new year, though, I need to be stingy and get the funds together for new Axiom gear and then for a new display!
you don't have the M60/vp180 option. This is what i have, and would probably do it again. I might upgrade to M80's, not sure though i am pretty happy with my m60's.
Dakkon,
I was trying to keep it simple, but I should have included it.
Originally Posted By: dakkon
you don't have the M60/vp180 option. This is what i have, and would probably do it again. I might upgrade to M80's, not sure though i am pretty happy with my m60's.

+1
Should we blow up the poll and start over?
I think if you want a accurate poll, the m60/180 option should be there.. Only because quite a few of us upgraded from the 150->180 when they came out, and are quite happy with the 180/60 combo.

Changing your poll is up to you, i am not putting your poll down please don't take it as such. However, your primary question was what center will go with the 60's and 80's. So all of the available combos should be present in your poll. I don't think anyone has a VP160 at the moment, so no one would be able to comment on that combination.

BTW writing a poll/survey is a real pain in the butt, because there is ALWAYS something wrong with what ever you do... I deal with fixing polls/surveys every semester, so again please don't take it personal.
I have M60 Tis and am wanting to upgrade my VP150 to either a VP160 or VP180.

As tempting as the VP160 might be, I'm leaning towards the VP180 because of it's "lower profile" design. I think I can incorporate it's width better than the height of the VP160.

Plus it'll "future-proof a bit if I ever upgrade to M80 V3s.
I plan on having the M50/M22 for mains and VP160 for center, because this is what would fit my living room the best for best sound. That is sometime after the VP160 comes out in an in-cabinet design. And I get 3 QS8's first.

Then my receiver will probably be crying out in pain. (Maybe I should just work on my other theater instead with 3 in-cabinet M80's. Decisions, decisions.
Well, interesting results so far. I think the most important thing is that the new center might attract a customer who may have looked to other brands for the VP160 driver configuration style.
I've been satisfied so far with the M60/VP100 combination. I liked using (2) M22 centers a little better, but they don't work aesthetically. My upgrade plan has always been a VP150, but it may be time to rethink that.

I hate you guys for making me spend more money!
i love you guys for making me spend money at the right place... ;-)

in a couple of weeks i will be buying new QS8's in order to get better surround sound.
what i have now is good for localization but not so much for ambiance.
It no longer pains me to say I agree with Mark. I'm in the same situation as he is, except that I'm only running a VP100 (which I like, but, well, "upgrade"...). Love the M60's and really like the idea of the VP160, but - in my current situation - it's going to be easier for me to integrate a deeper and lower profile form-factor rather than a "taller" one.

I think the VP160 will dramatically reduce demand for the VP150.
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
It no longer pains me to say I agree with Mark.

But it did? For a long time?

Originally Posted By: tomtuttle

I think the VP160 will dramatically reduce demand for the VP150.

I dunno. There's a comparison photo in this thread, and the VP160 is substantially bigger than the 150. Though I applaud Axiom for creating two big-azz centers as customers requested, there certainly will be many people who may not be able to accommodate either of the two new centers.
I think for most people the speaker choice comes down to largest speaker they can fit into the positions they can live with and price they can afford.
I am extremely impressed with my vp180 and couldn't imagine using anything else now.
Posted By: CV Re: How will the new centers alter buying habits? - 12/18/11 10:39 PM
Your imagination dried up upon graduating?
I'm going to get a 160 to go with my 150 and M80's, that should almost sound as good as a 180 and look pretty cool too!
Here I sit with my brand new VP180 still in plastic wrap about 10 feet away from my computer waiting for my basement to get finished... If the VP160 was out sooner, I *might* have waited on the VP180 to see how things go.
If I was starting from scratch (and had the room) I would simply go with 3 M80's across the front. Why get a horizontal center if you don't have to?

However, since that was not an option in the poll I would do the M80's and VP180.
Where is the option for "IDK" ?

laugh
I currently have a VP150, M22's for the front speakers and qs8's for the surround speakers. I have very happy with the speaker package overall and my room is not very big where I need tower speakers or a larger center. But, I have never been very happy with the VP150. I have tried several different placement options and dialog still sounds, very slightly, muffled and not as natural as the m22's. I plan to upgrade to the vp160 or vp180 sometime in the near future. The vp160 would be nice since it should be great for off-axis viewing. In the end I just want my center channel to blend well with the front speakers, to have the dialog sound more natural and life-like.

Some of the comments from folks who upgraded from the VP150 to the VP180, were that the VP180 was a nice fix to the issues that they had with the VP150. I hope that the VP160 will also be a fix, but give more even response off-axis. If that is the case then I'd probably go with the VP160, even though I may upgrade to m80's down the line if I end up having a larger room.
We need to convince someone to buy both and compare them for us!

Charles? grin
Wow. I could have saved almost $300 if I waited and went with the VP160...
Posted By: CV Re: How will the new centers alter buying habits? - 12/20/11 05:19 AM
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
We need to convince someone to buy both and compare them for us!

Charles? grin

Ha ha. It could happen, but not for a while.
for now, my biggest consern about my system is the sub ( i don't have one)
I don't planify to change my actual VP 15O.
but my actual JBL L&R channel will be upgraded probably with m60 or m80 ... but there is so many goods comments about
the combo M22+vp150 i am confused.

But in a far future, if i built a dedicated room
my first plan was to get a vp100 and move de vp150 in a dedicated room, but now i hesitate between VP160 OR VP180 for my future dedicated room.

180 all the way brotha... like i said earlier i ahve 60's+the 180, the 180 has NO problem keeping up with the 60, heck it's a large speaker.. The 150 could Never keep up with the 60's... I had the 150 for about 5 years, i knew i wanted something bigger. When i read about the 180, there was absolutely no hesitation i knew that i wanted one.
When I wrote this silly poll I was curious to know if the new center was going to take sales of the M80 away. Looks like: no.
© Axiom Message Boards