Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ken.C Finally bought something! - 12/27/11 04:09 AM
Got me a new Tivo Premiere XL a few weeks back. Haven't really started using it (been wasting all my free time playing video games), but it's busily pulling down many, many shows. Found one problem: the old H/K issue of pausing when switching decoding in the audio rears its ugly head--even flipping back 8 seconds, you lose audio for 5 seconds or so.

Guess I need a new receiver soon. Shucks.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Finally bought something! - 12/27/11 04:47 AM
Congrats, Ken! It's a slippery slope in this hobby--buy one piece of new equipment, then you find you need to upgrade another. . .
Posted By: jakewash Re: Finally bought something! - 12/27/11 05:49 AM
Sure sounds like you need a new receiver, how can you stand to listen to it any longer?
Posted By: RickF Re: Finally bought something! - 12/27/11 08:12 AM
I'm somewhat dissapoiunted Ken, I thought you were going to tell us that you bought yourself a....

Taylor Made Ghost TM-110 Tour Standard Putter Golf Club.

From you good friends at Cindygolf.

grin
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Finally bought something! - 12/27/11 11:24 AM
::Like::
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Finally bought something! - 12/27/11 01:38 PM
Oh, yeah, I got that too. Lots of them. I keep buying them every time that dude posts about it. They sound so cool.

Found an answer to my sound problem--I switched the Dolby Digital decoding to the TiVo instead of the receiver, so the TiVo's outputting PCM. I suspect it's only outputting stereo (not sure what actually comes over FiOS in 5.1), but it's better than having to switch to RCA cables, which is a pain.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Finally bought something! - 12/27/11 02:45 PM
I really shouldn't be looking right now (TiVos are expensive!), but I'm thinking either an Onk 609 or a Denon 2112, although the second is a little light on inputs.
I want:
*Airplay built in
*Audyssey Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume
*>100 WPC
*4 ohm compatible-ish (I don't tend to push the volume, but shutdowns would be a bummer)
*Excellent video scaling. I still watch a lot of stuff in SD and my TV's scaler is pretty crummy.
*Minimum 4 HDMI inputs
*$500 or less, refurbs are fine.

Any feelings one way or another? I've been looking at the Pio 1121-Ks that keep coming up for sale, but I don't think they have anything equivalent to Dynamic EQ or Volume.
Posted By: RickF Re: Finally bought something! - 12/27/11 07:59 PM
'Dissapoiunted', 'You' ...

I think next time I awaken at 3 a.m. it will probably be best if I don't post.

That's all I have to say about that.

laugh
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Finally bought something! - 12/27/11 08:07 PM
But it's so much fun!
Posted By: JohnK Re: Finally bought something! - 12/28/11 03:01 AM
Ken, all competently designed modern receivers are "4 ohm compatible-ish". As always, the question is how loud and how long they're played, but except at extremely loud and prolonged levels relatively easy to drive speakers such as Axiom M80s should cause no problem.

The 2112 is rated at 90 watts and the 609 at 100 watts, and there's a trivial difference of less than 1dB in maximum sound level between them or one rated at say 110 watts. Either should be okay power-wise, but for overall features within your budget you should instead be looking at the 709 rather than the 609. It has the significant advantage of Audyssey MultEQ XT rather than 2EQ. Besides more measurement positions and higher resolution filters, the all important difference is that it equalizes the sub channel, which usually needs it most, while 2EQ doesn't(odd that Onkyo continues to put it on a model two steps up from base).

Yes, you should be looking right now, among other reasons being that ShopOnkyo's Christmas sale with an additional 25% off certain refurbs runs until December 29. Here's the page, and that refurb price is reduced 25% for "Club Onkyo" members the next couple days. Registering for the Club you get a $10 purchase credit, so the overall shipped price would be about $477. There's also a 5% credit given which could be used on a future purchase. Taking shipping into account, this is about $35 better than the current A4L deal.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Finally bought something! - 12/28/11 03:06 AM
Ah, I think I meant the 709. However, the 709 is lacking Airplay, so that's kind of a downside. I really don't have the funds to swing a receiver purchase this month, maybe in the next 2 or so.

I know the 100 WPC is purely psychological, but hey, I want it. The 2112 has a rating of 125 WPC at 6 ohms, at a rather iffy .7% THD (I know, 1% is the cutoff, but that's pretty high for advertising something, innit!).

I'm also putting this inside a not-particularly-well-ventilated cabinet, so it's going to need to run at least as cool as my H/K, which is an inferno.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Finally bought something! - 12/29/11 07:11 AM
I am starting to think Denon has been cutting some corners as of late; my parent's just purchased a 1312 albeit this is the very bottom of the line up, but it runs at -18 - -15 to get decent SPL on the M22/VP100 I gave them. I know these numbers really don't mean much bit it is an identifier as to the power available from this unit and it is getting dangerously close to '0' for normal listening let alone trying to achieve reference levels for a movie. I am thinking they should take it back and spend an extra $100 on an H/K or Pioneer.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Finally bought something! - 12/29/11 01:53 PM
We are getting Direct TV this coming week, and will have to figure out what to do with our two Tivo units, hmmm.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Finally bought something! - 12/29/11 03:00 PM
Originally Posted By: SirQuack
We are getting Direct TV this coming week, and will have to figure out what to do with our two Tivo units, hmmm.

Randy, for reasons not invloving TV, we just dumped Direct for Comcast. You will like it. We miss it. Be prepared. Sat services are loathe to make deals with non-profits. In many markets, including the birthhome of PBS, sat companies do not broadcast PBS (and some other stations) in HD.

Their graphics and functionality, are IMO, superior to cable.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Finally bought something! - 12/30/11 02:15 AM
Naw, Jason; amplifier power ratings are the one thing in audio where "cutting corners" isn't permitted by law(FTC regs). You were right the first time: the volume control numbers really don't mean much. At least the rated 75 watts are available and would be enough for peaks of maybe 103-104dB on those Axioms. Tell your folks to kick it up a notch when they want more volume.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Finally bought something! - 12/31/11 02:08 AM
I finally had a more thorough listen and it seems fine for their purpose, I think I was expecting the way my M80s sound at first.
© Axiom Message Boards