Axiom Home Page
Posted By: sotwell Audyssey Set my m60s to full band, leave it? - 01/04/12 09:10 PM
So I ran audyssey xt, and my m60s and vp150 were all set to Full Band. I have read to move this to 80mhz. Is this correct or should I leave them? My QS8 came in at 100mhz.
If it were me, and I didn't have a sub woofer, I'd probably leave them at full (no crossover setting). If I had a sub, I'd set the crossover to 80hz.

You can always try each setting and see what sounds the best for you. I wish receivers had a variable crossover setting from say, 40hz to 100hz in 5 or 10hz increments.

M22's would sound strained a bit at the full setting without a sub-woofer at higher volume, but I doubt that the M60 or M80 would.
Thanks. I do have a sub : svs pc13
Depending upon the capabilities of your processor, you may wish to try the M60s at something lower than 80Hz. I have mine set at 40Hz, as I have bass issues in my room and find that I like to have the M60s contributing some bass as well to give my three sources instead of the single sub.

It's a little more taxing on my amp, and the Dolby recommendation is 80Hz, so it's not magic bullet... but might not hurt to try.

Also, my receiver has the capability to send the bass signal to BOTH the sub and the main speakers, but other receivers allow only one or the other. If yours is like this, I would just go ahead and move it to 80Hz.

Don't forget to set the "crossover" on your sub as high as it can go (assuming your sub has a crossover adjustment), since you're already telling the receiver to handle that switchover from "Mains" to "Sub".
You do want to set those speakers to small. Audyssey has a lot more filters for the sub channel, so bumping up the crossover to 60 and most likely 80hz would be recommended.

Also, Audyssey does not set a speaker to small or large, it just reports back to the receiver the -3dB point of each speaker in your room.
Sot, the receiver used the data from the Audyssey measurements to set the speakers "Full Range" because apparently in your room there was good response as low as 40Hz. This doesn't mean that it's best to leave it that way, however. Setting a higher crossover manually(typically 80Hz)allows your fine sub to handle more of the frequencies it does best and take part of the load off your speakers so that they can play the higher frequencies a bit more cleanly. Also, as Randy pointed out, Audyssey XT has higher resolution filters in the sub channel than the speaker channels. As a result, the correction in the lowest bass frequencies can be more accurate when the sub rather than the speakers is handling them.
Just wondering that if certain speakers played certain frequency ranges better and cleaner than others, would there be a sonic advantage to having more than 3 sized speakers in a cabinet. Maybe 6 different sizes that each played their own set of frequencies, crossed over properly.
Brian, theoretically that degree of driver specialization would be an advantage, but each crossover is a problem. Some go to the extent of saying that the best crossover is no crossover and attempt to employ a single full-range driver, with generally just moderately successful results. Two and three way speakers can give better results, but much more than that is doubtful.
SVS has an online database that gives recommendations to various speakers crossover. Their recommendation for the M80, which is what i have, is to have the crossover at 60Hz. I set the QS8 are 80Hz. This works well in my room.

Check with SVS and Axiom, they will give you solid recommendation.
I would try the M60s at 40hz and 60hz and set them to which ever setting you prefer after some listening at each crossover point.

Wow, a VP150 set to full range, must have quite a bit of room gain going on there. I would bump that VP150 up to 80hz and set them all(M60s too) to small to keep all but the lowest frequencies from going through them, this lets the sub handle everything below those crossover points.
I've got my sub blended with M60s around 55Hz. The 60Hz point is probably fairly reasonable.
Chess, did you try 54Hz and 56Hz just to make sure?
Personally, I'd be worried about 53.7 Hz, myself.
I'd be worried about Marks suggestion, just because it Mark.
I have an audyseey question for you guys. I have an Onkyo RC260 and it has audyssey 2EQ on it. I ran the program last night and it set my M22's crossover at 120HZ. I know that the M22s dont have a lot of low end power, but I was thinking to set them to around 100HZ or 90Hz to overlap a bit with the powered sub. I was just surprised to see that so high, it set the VP150 crossover at 90Hz which I thought was more reasonable. Any thoughts?
A lot depends on your room characteristics, speaker position, proper mic location when running setup, other noises in the house (needs to be dead quiet even after the chirps). Audyssey reports the -3dB point of each speaker in your room and reports that back to the receiver, which then sets all the settings (small/large, freq response, etc. ) If you have saved all the settings you never want to lower the crossover freq, ok to raise it, but lowering it will create a gap that won't get corrected.

You could try rerunning setup, look at your speaker positions in regards to toe-in, how close to wall, etc... Also make sure the mic is at close to ear level, and not on top of a couch/chair but use a stand or tripod. It can pick up reflections if to close to furniture.

Here is a nice video descibing some important things to think about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okyNlhJ3Hvo
Dan, something doesn't appear to be in order. As I've commented several times, my M22s(when used without a sub)have strong in-room response to below 60Hz. If you're not hearing something similar are you certain that all the mid-woofers are actually operating? Audyssey measurements resulted in the receiver setting my M22s to 60Hz, which I manually changed to 80Hz, so that the EP500 would carry more of the load.

As Randy pointed out, the receiver takes the Audyssey result for the frequency which was 3dB down and then sets the crossover to the nearest available setting above that. Although room reinforcement is an important factor in the bass extension, almost any M22 positioning should give a result way below 120Hz. Try different speaker positioning and run the calibration more times to see if you get a more reasonable result.
the audyssey set my M60 at 40hz and VP150 at 120Hz, I've change the VP150 to 100Hz and keep the M60's 40Hz.

I set my Onkyo to output the LFE to both L/R and the sub. I like the weight and dynamic with this setting but make sure your amp got enough juice to push the front at lower crossover at loud volume.

am using XPA3 to power my M60,so there's no power drain from my Onky.
Hmm, Im going to check some things out. The room is about 18' by 12' but it does open up to the dining room. The M22s are toed intowards the left and righ positions on the couch, not all the way towards center position. They are about 18" off the back wall and around 2' on either side of the TV. They are on FMS16 stands so the tweet is close to ear level, and the woofers(is that what they are called) have no obstructions as the are higher than the coffee table. I did place the mic on top of the sofa, but with my old speakers, the audyssey set the crossover at full band. Would have the polarity mixed up do this, I did just recently do a in wall speaker wire set up, and I will check that tongiht and redo the audessey.
Before thinking about trying out any room correction system, I would strongly suggest setting up the system yourself using your ears and possibly a sound level meter. Then live with the system for a while and ask yourself what you are trying to "improve" by engaging an algorithm like Audyssey.
With Audyssey, you can turn it off/on with the push of a button, which I do often. This way you can hear the difference with no room correction, compared to just correct delay, and matching dB levels. Audyssey always sounds better in my opinion.

mpyw, you never want to lower the crossover to below the setting found by the Audyssey/Receiver setup. When doing this, you are creating a hole or gap that is not getting corrected. Either adjust and rerun the setting to see if you get different results, or don't use Audyssey. It is ok to bump up the crossover from the findings, however.
Well I checked all the wiring and it seems to be ok, I'm going to rerun the audessey this weekend using a stand to see if that was the problem. I kind of just want to see if my speakers are working well. I turned the equalizer off, and they sound pretty good. I kind of just want to see what audessey comes up with. Isnt the maximum crossover at 120Hz? i guess that just kind of scares me, like why the vp150 and my surrounds had crossover settings at around 80Hz... but the M22s had the maximum crossover setting... oh well. Thanks for the input guys.
© Axiom Message Boards