Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Dduval Finally Got The QS8's - 01/20/12 04:25 PM
Well, been using old Boston Acoustic bookshelves as surrounds and been wanting QS8's for well over a year now.

After reading all the positives everyone has to say about the QS8's. I finally got a pair thru the auction in Boston Cherry. Funny thing was with my luck I just prepared myself for something to go wrong...

I was not mistaken, they should up at the door and behold! One was was cherry, one was black! LOL smile

As always, one phone call to Brent and the issue was fixed fast, very fast. Many thanks to Brent for the excellent customer service!

I have to say once I got them hooked up, the difference is absolutely astonishing. I see why now, all the rave reviews on the QS8's. Thanks to all for giving their positive feedback on the Q's. Movies, TV, multichannel music, all are amazing and I haven't even ran MultiXT32 yet... smile

Dana
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Finally Got The QS8's - 01/20/12 04:41 PM
They are nice, aren't they. laugh
Posted By: Olderbutwiser Re: Finally Got The QS8's - 01/20/12 04:50 PM
Congrats on the QS8s. I love listening to music in mutlichannel.
Posted By: GTZ Re: Finally Got The QS8's - 01/20/12 05:54 PM
It's a good thing you talked to Brent and got the color issue resolved, now they'll sound the same wink. Seriously, congrats on your purchase. They do sound fantastic.
Posted By: RickF Re: Finally Got The QS8's - 01/20/12 06:17 PM
I'm glad to hear you are digging the QS8s Dana, quite amazing little speakers they are.
Posted By: Dduval Re: Finally Got The QS8's - 01/20/12 07:14 PM
Yes, thanks guys.

I see some are using the QS8's as Heights. I am thinking of replacing my old height speakers with QS8's as well. I was originally planning on getting "M2's on wall" for the Heights.

But now I'm second guessing my self after hearing these QS8's as surrounds. Any recommendations for the heights? M2's or QS8's?

Dana
Posted By: jakewash Re: Finally Got The QS8's - 01/21/12 06:11 PM
The few that have heights recommend QS8's
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Finally Got The QS8's - 01/21/12 07:06 PM
I would think they would work nicely has heights
Posted By: Jc Re: Finally Got The QS8's - 01/21/12 07:33 PM
Hi Dana,
The QS8 as height speaker is the way to go !
Posted By: Dduval Re: Finally Got The QS8's - 01/21/12 08:39 PM
Well then...I guess the decision is made!

QS8 it is.

or maybe upgrade my center VP150 to the VP160/VP180 first smile

Hmmm, what to do, what to do, so much fun. Thanks all!

Dana
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Finally Got The QS8's - 01/21/12 09:44 PM
All this "height" talk is telling me my Denon is obsolete already, argggg.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Finally Got The QS8's - 01/21/12 10:20 PM
Yup... I have the same feeling.
Posted By: CV Re: Finally Got The QS8's - 01/21/12 10:46 PM
Didn't they used to talk about having a speaker directly overhead the listening area called the God channel or something? Brief searching is yielding no results. I'm just surprised that a speaker directly above you wouldn't be of more value for all of the planes passing overhead and what not. Maybe the effect is accomplished well enough with the existing channels. In any case, I like the idea of a full-range speaker mounted directly above me which could fall at any time. In the event it falls, JohnK might take it as a sign it's time to upgrade my body.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Finally Got The QS8's - 01/22/12 02:27 AM
Dana, good to hear how you're enjoying the surround sounds from your QS8s. Incidentally, don't limit them to "multi-channel music"; the surround effect is excellent with 2-channel source material in ambience extraction modes such as DPLII.

Yes, for the type of sounds sent to height speakers, very wide dispersion, as provided by the QS4/QS8, is an advantage.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Finally Got The QS8's - 01/22/12 07:29 AM
I do not have that same feeling of my 3808 being obsolete, ignorance is bliss I guess; I am however still wanting an amp.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Finally Got The QS8's - 01/22/12 01:56 PM
Well, geez, if any of y'all are sick of your 3808s, just send one to me and one to Peter. We've got crazy old receivers. His doesn't even do DTS!
Posted By: Dduval Re: Finally Got The QS8's - 01/22/12 02:12 PM
Originally Posted By: JohnK
Dana, good to hear how you're enjoying the surround sounds from your QS8s. Incidentally, don't limit them to "multi-channel music"; the surround effect is excellent with 2-channel source material in ambience extraction modes such as DPLII.

Yes, for the type of sounds sent to height speakers, very wide dispersion, as provided by the QS4/QS8, is an advantage.

Absolutely John!

I have my Onkyo set automatically to convert all 2 channel material (TV/Netflix, etc) to PLII DSX, all 9 speakers serving audio bliss.

5.1 material is auto converted to DSX to all 9 speakers. My only exception is when listening to my flac music collection, it's set to "all channels".

But you are 100% correct, PLII DSX is magic for sure. Sometimes, I can't tell the difference when listening to 2 channel cable movie from a 5.1 channel cable movie...

Dana
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Finally Got The QS8's - 01/23/12 05:40 AM
Originally Posted By: Ken.C
Well, geez, if any of y'all are sick of your 3808s, just send one to me and one to Peter. We've got crazy old receivers. His doesn't even do DTS!

It does do DTS. Just not Neo.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Finally Got The QS8's - 01/23/12 02:11 PM
Oh, my bad.
© Axiom Message Boards