Axiom Home Page
Posted By: terzaghi Wire management - 01/21/12 05:11 AM
I finally got around to doing most of my wire management. Wasn't exactly easy as I have tons on cables and with the av rack, plasma mount, and fms180 stand there isn't exactly anything to really hide the wires behind. I used the cable raceways that mark has referenced in the past to bring the cable down the wall ( I screwed them in instead of gluing them- thanks for the tip!). I used right angle adapters for my HDMI cable from the tv (otherwise it stuck out the side), and on my sub cable and coax cable coming off the wall. My tv mount has dual wire management (one on each arm of the mount) that worked pretty good. I ran all new HDMI cable and used the optical audio out to get sound from my tv apps to my denon as I dont have the latest HDMI capable receiver with ARC. I ran a new optical cable from my ps3 to my denon, and i made sure the HDMI cable going from my tv to my Receievrr was easy to access for when I need to switch things around to watch 3d. When I want to watch 3d I will need to plug the ps3 directly to the tv and send the sound to my denon via optical out. I still would like to get a white wire wrap of some sort to go around my cable bundle that is running along the floor.

Lots of writing about Boring cables I know... It's Friday and my wife is sleeping and I'm bored!

Posted By: CV Re: Wire management - 01/21/12 05:16 AM
Great job! I swear I'll make mine look nice one of these years.
Posted By: GTZ Re: Wire management - 01/21/12 02:42 PM
Nice clean look!
Posted By: fredk Re: Wire management - 01/21/12 03:56 PM
Nice job. Wanna come do my server room at work next. grin
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Wire management - 01/21/12 04:40 PM
Does it come with a free round trip to the land up north? wink
Posted By: jakewash Re: Wire management - 01/21/12 06:15 PM
Originally Posted By: terzaghi
Lots of writing about Boring cables I know... It's Friday and my wife is sleeping and I'm bored!
Honeymoons over.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Wire management - 01/21/12 07:04 PM
Ha! Never!
Posted By: Hansang Re: Wire management - 01/21/12 10:55 PM
Booo! Two remotes on the table? Come on, now! smile
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Wire management - 01/22/12 12:25 AM
I've actually got 4. I need a harmony 1 and the pa3 adapter...
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: Wire management - 01/22/12 02:47 AM
Nice job on the wiring. I too have spent countless hours trying to keep things neat only to buy something new and have to start over. Definetly go for the Harmony ps3 adapter,i had one and it worked absolutely perfect.Since gone to xbox all through the house for the media center. I personally did not like the harmony one, it seemed to always get left off the cradle and was dead when you needed it most. I like the idea of good old alkalines. Rechargeable batteries still haven't reached the point of being equivelant to alkaline imho. May try rechargeable alkaline.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Wire management - 01/22/12 03:13 AM
That looks great, David!

Originally Posted By: CV
Great job! I swear I'll make mine look nice one of these years.

Just remember, CV. Nobody ever said "I just wish I'd tidied up those cables" on their death bed. laugh
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Wire management - 01/22/12 03:27 AM
Yeah, but you or I might.
Posted By: CV Re: Wire management - 01/22/12 03:45 AM
Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Just remember, CV. Nobody ever said "I just wish I'd tidied up those cables" on their death bed. laugh

I'll have to die in my mess of cables to justify it.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Wire management - 01/22/12 03:46 AM
I have to point out that the guy saying this has been rather peeved over me using the wrong color or length of cable in a server rack.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Wire management - 01/22/12 07:34 AM
I always wondered why there were different colors.

I love my Harmony One because of the cradle and no alkalines. I hate having to have spare batteries around. I place the remote in its cradle at least once a week if not twice and it never runs out.
Posted By: fredk Re: Wire management - 01/22/12 04:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Ken.C
I have to point out that the guy saying this has been rather peeved over me using the wrong color or length of cable in a server rack.

If you ever need to 'get him' for something, send him my way. Wrong length, mis-labeled, no labels, WTF does that go cables. It will take him years to recover.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Wire management - 01/22/12 05:05 PM
Eh, between the two of us we could probably get it cleaned up nice and neat in a day. At least, if you have redundancy in the network and/or don't care about things going down. And who really cares about that?
Posted By: fredk Re: Wire management - 01/22/12 05:10 PM
Networks need reduncancy? We do have a second core switch after the one-and-only failed during a planned power outage. Maybe in another year (or when the core goes down during production) someone will actually configure it. ::rollyeyes::
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Wire management - 01/22/12 05:22 PM
I do not want to work where you work.
Posted By: fredk Re: Wire management - 01/22/12 06:48 PM
I win. Feel free to send Peter any time. smile
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Wire management - 01/22/12 10:20 PM

David, what are those L-type wallplate connectors called? Can you plug a subwoofer cable into them? If so, I'd like to get one.

Thanks.
Posted By: SBrown Re: Wire management - 01/22/12 11:20 PM
http://www.takefiveaudio.com/mall/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=83&cat=Signal+Adapters
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Wire management - 01/23/12 12:28 AM
It's just a regular rca wall plate. I then used a 90 degree RCA adapter from radio shack, and plugged my sub cable into it from there. See Sbrown's link for the Right angle RCA adapter.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Wire management - 01/23/12 12:38 AM
Thanks, guys!
Posted By: INANE Re: Wire management - 01/23/12 05:04 AM
Originally Posted By: jakewash
I always wondered why there were different colors.

I love my Harmony One because of the cradle and no alkalines. I hate having to have spare batteries around. I place the remote in its cradle at least once a week if not twice and it never runs out.

I actually built a box in the wall to hold my Harmony remote/cradle.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Wire management - 01/23/12 10:56 AM
Originally Posted By: INANE

You'll have to post a photo to prove it!
Posted By: INANE Re: Wire management - 01/24/12 04:30 AM
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Originally Posted By: INANE

You'll have to post a photo to prove it!

OK I will!

The box and the room aren't done yet but you can see that I have constructed a "box in the wall" with power for my Harmony cradle.

Close Up

View of the wall
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Wire management - 01/24/12 11:30 AM
OK. But you have to post a detail shot when it's all done, too! smile
Posted By: INANE Re: Wire management - 01/25/12 05:51 AM
Sure thing. I'll probably be posting tons more pics in my own thread... sorry to hijack yours David!
Posted By: Murph Re: Wire management - 01/25/12 05:13 PM
Coincidentally, or perhaps ironically, I'm just coming back from a two day structured cabling course to read this thread. It's not something I do but it's nice to now know more about the limits and standards when you are designing the voice and data network sides of things.

For the project on day two we had to completely spec out a new R&D facility from blueprints. It was more interesting than I thought it would be.
© Axiom Message Boards