Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Murph 2nd sub or Mid-bass Unit - 02/20/12 08:07 PM
Situation:
My only complaint is the discrepancy in bass response in both my previous and newer HT rooms. Too loud in the corners, too mild in the seated positions. I blame the Mark Ratio. Old room was 12x12x8 New room is 12ish x 24 x 8.

I've always craved a 2nd sub to see how much it would help this situation. I'm also intrigued by mid-bass units. You don't hear much about them but promise to add some punchiness from concentrating on the 50 to 150 Hz range.

Our team share bonus has been exceptionally good this year so I want to splurge a bit of it on a new toy. The 2nd sub is the obvious choice but I'll put it out there for fun.

Current Setup M60s, VP150, EP500, QS8s, HK rears
Posted By: dakkon Re: 2nd sub or Mid-bass Unit - 02/20/12 08:18 PM
would the second sub be another 500? or would you be looking for a 600 or 800?
Posted By: Wid Re: 2nd sub or Mid-bass Unit - 02/20/12 08:30 PM

A second sub got my vote.
Posted By: Kruncher Re: 2nd sub or Mid-bass Unit - 02/20/12 09:02 PM
Given your gear, if it were me I'd be tempted more to invest in room treatments than the above choices. But if that's not an option, go for a second identical sub.
Posted By: michael_d Re: 2nd sub or Mid-bass Unit - 02/20/12 09:24 PM
Build some corner base traps first.......
Posted By: SBrown Re: 2nd sub or Mid-bass Unit - 02/20/12 11:45 PM
I have two subs under my m80's and bass traps(4) in the corners and it is the best tunes and movies around.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: 2nd sub or Mid-bass Unit - 02/20/12 11:47 PM
bass accumulates in corners, hence bass traps.
Posted By: grunt Re: 2nd sub or Mid-bass Unit - 02/21/12 01:30 AM
I’m the one (first?) selfish vote for a mid-bass module since I want someone who’s opinion I can count on to try one out before I can’t stand it anymore and pull the trigger one or two. wink
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: 2nd sub or Mid-bass Unit - 02/21/12 01:48 AM
I'll be the second selfish vote. Two plane tickets to Peterborough...
Posted By: nickbuol Re: 2nd sub or Mid-bass Unit - 02/21/12 03:46 AM
I was about to vote 2nd sub, but bass traps would probably be more effective. Don't be fooled though, just because you are "trapping" bass in the corners, doesn't mean that you will have even less bass in the room. From my experience (with other people's theaters) and from what I've read, by "trapping" the bass in the corners, you are reducing some nulls in other areas (your listening area) and the bass can actually seem louder and cleaner...
Posted By: Murph Re: 2nd sub or Mid-bass Unit - 02/21/12 12:43 PM
Thanks all.

Corner bass traps were in the original design. Rear ones are now not possible after adding the bar to the raised couch platform. This and comfortable room for bar stools pretty much takes you to wall.

They were scribbled out in the front when my wife couldn't get her head around how they might look. They are still a possibility and remain good advice. I believe they can be built to blend in pretty well.

I admit, the mid-bass unit is really only there due to overwhelming curiosity. I wish there was some way to rent/try one before I buy it but not all companies are as easy to do that with as Axiom. The M60s play pretty deep and I'm not really convinced they need a lot of help in this dept. But just like last weekend, I wasn't convinced that the ice below my house was thick enough to walk on but I still ventured out on it for some inexplicable reason that i will chalk up to curiosity.

If a 2'nd sub, the brand is undecided. I'm drawn to another EP500 to match aesthetically, I know it's awesome and because Axiom has been good to us all for sure. Being in Canada makes some alternative brands a trick to source as well. However, (how do I put this politely) I could pretty much get two similarly respected subs for the same price.

Two tickets to Peterborough? Isn't that an Eddie Money song?
Also good advice. If I can ever manage the time (always my biggest challenge), I could maybe hop on a puddlejumper during one of my, 4 times a year, Ottawa ventures.

Thanks for all the ideas. Even with simple stuff, it helps to talk out loud, err in print.

Posted By: Ya_basta Re: 2nd sub or Mid-bass Unit - 02/21/12 12:59 PM
Originally Posted By: Murph
Two tickets to Peterborough? Isn't that an Eddie Money song?

laugh

If it isn't, it should be smile.

I want to see pictures of that room!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 2nd sub or Mid-bass Unit - 02/21/12 01:01 PM
Cam, you just want to see the bar.....
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: 2nd sub or Mid-bass Unit - 02/21/12 01:04 PM
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Cam, you just want to see the bar.....

You know me well, friend smile.
Posted By: Murph Re: 2nd sub or Mid-bass Unit - 02/21/12 01:10 PM
Yes, I know. Pictures.
A camera is top on my list of items to replace with my bonus money and oddly, neither of us have one on our phones. One of the good things about my job is that I'm given a Blackberry. One of the bad things is that it's old enough it has no camera and I can't justify buying a cooler phone for myself when I have one for free already.

It's nothing overly post worthy in any case. Very budget and very basic.
Posted By: michael_d Re: 2nd sub or Mid-bass Unit - 02/21/12 03:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Murph
Thanks all.

Corner bass traps were in the original design. Rear ones are now not possible after adding the bar to the raised couch platform. This and comfortable room for bar stools pretty much takes you to wall.

They were scribbled out in the front when my wife couldn't get her head around how they might look. They are still a possibility and remain good advice. I believe they can be built to blend in pretty well.

Show her this picture.......when the lights are dim, they can not be seen. I have a thread around here somewhere detailing how to make them, step by step. My thoughts are to eliminate problems first, before buying stuff to cover a problem like a band aid.

Posted By: pmbuko Re: 2nd sub or Mid-bass Unit - 02/21/12 04:07 PM
I can't figure out what the City of Peterborough's Coat of Arms is supposed to signify.

Stab the river, or always wash your sword after slaying a beast?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: 2nd sub or Mid-bass Unit - 02/21/12 04:37 PM
Beavers hold the key to conquering and slaying all of the forest critters, who's crowns have fallen.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: 2nd sub or Mid-bass Unit - 02/21/12 05:11 PM
I was thinking "room treatments" even before reading posts from Mike and Kruncher. But I went ahead and voted 2nd sub.

I REALLY think you should get a freaking camera, though. And fly us all in for a party.
Posted By: fredk Re: 2nd sub or Mid-bass Unit - 02/25/12 02:01 AM
Originally Posted By: pmbuko
I can't figure out what the City of Peterborough's Coat of Arms is supposed to signify.

That's simple. While the stag and the lion are fighting over the crest, the beaver is bringing the keys to the liqueur cabinet to Cam.
Posted By: fredk Re: 2nd sub or Mid-bass Unit - 02/25/12 02:04 AM
Murph. Have you considered setting up and running REW to see what is going on before doing anything?

Bass traps only become effective over 100Hz unless they are really, really big.

It could be that something as simple as bass EQ could really clean things up for you. Or, it could be you need a second sub to fill in some nulls AND EQ to cut any peaks.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: 2nd sub or Mid-bass Unit - 02/25/12 03:29 PM
Originally Posted By: fredk
Originally Posted By: pmbuko

That's simple. While the stag and the lion are fighting over the crest, the beaver is bringing the keys to the liqueur cabinet to Cam.

I like that version smile!

Beaver and liquor....There's a correlation there but I can't finger it...
Posted By: whippersnapper Re: 2nd sub or Mid-bass Unit - 02/25/12 05:43 PM
Another thought is that a mid-base unit would be much more directional and thus more "locatable" than a true sub. It could be tough to put one in a spot that would blend appropriately with the rest of your set up.
Posted By: jakewash Re: 2nd sub or Mid-bass Unit - 02/25/12 06:57 PM
I would place a mid bass unit up front near the mains.
Posted By: Murph Re: 2nd sub or Mid-bass Unit - 02/27/12 02:09 PM
Excellent discussion. So many good ideas.
© Axiom Message Boards