Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Brad H Advice on building my home theatre - 02/25/12 06:19 AM
I've been ogling the M80's for a long time now and will be moving next month into a nice new spot, so I think it's time to build my dream home theatre...

Because the move will be a bit pricey (and I will likely be listening to music more often than watching movies), I am planning on getting the M80's and the EP500 to start, then upgrading in 6-12 months with a center and surrounds.

My question is what receiver I should get keeping in mind I plan on upgrading later. I was looking at some Yamahas and H/K receivers, but I figured I'd see if anyone had some advice. The Sherwood Newcastle for sale here is also a possibility.

I like the networking features and mobile apps for the Yamaha receivers, but like the price on the H/K's better. I'd like to spend $1000 or less, preferably, but I may spend more if something is really attractive (features, etc).

I also imagine getting an amplifier down the road as well, but won't be getting that for a while.

So what's your advice?

Thanks smile
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Advice on building my home theatre - 02/25/12 06:37 AM
I recently bought a Pioneer SC-55 for $1100. I run a pair of 80s with it. I really like it. Some of the guys like Denons and the other brands.
Posted By: CV Re: Advice on building my home theatre - 02/25/12 06:46 AM
For a receiver I planned on upgrading, I'd probably go with an Onkyo TX-NR709. It seems to hit the sweet spot for me. I'm using the previous year's equivalent model and I still haven't upgraded, though I still plan on getting one that can do both heights and wides simultaneously. One of these days... but probably after I buy some new speakers since Axiom has me saving for those now. Then I really need to work on saving for a new display. You know how these things go.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Advice on building my home theatre - 02/25/12 06:53 AM
Brad, welcome. My first suggestion is that since the budget for audio equipment won't allow for a full setup immediately, that besides the M80s you go with the QS8 surrounds at this time. The reason for this is that the M80s have quite good bass on their own and although the excellent EP500(which I use)should certainly be added later for movies especially, you can do quite well for nearly all music with the M80 bass. On the other hand, there's no substitute for the added realism which the QS8s bring to 2-channel music sources, using a mode such as DPLII. This extracts the surround ambience mixed into the front channels(there was no place else to put it)and sends it to the surrounds where it belongs, very significantly increasing the enjoyment of the music. I never listen to 2-channel source material on front speakers alone if surrounds are available.

As to the receiver, I'd suggest one of the full-featured Onkyo or Denon models with Audyssey MultEQ XT auto-calibration and room equalization. An outstanding buy at this time is the Onkyo 709 factory refurb(which should, from my study and personal experience, be at least as reliable as a brand-new unit)available for about $480 from A4L here .
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Advice on building my home theatre - 02/25/12 01:26 PM
Damn, Charles, you're using a 708 and you still haven't upgraded? Cheapass.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Advice on building my home theatre - 02/25/12 01:33 PM
I've been using a Pioneer Elite and I know they are good units. I'd stick with those starting around $900 though.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Advice on building my home theatre - 02/25/12 02:42 PM
I just wish Pioneer would allow their Elite models to be sold online.
Posted By: markdar98 Re: Advice on building my home theatre - 02/25/12 08:43 PM
I have an Integra 50.1 I really like.
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Advice on building my home theatre - 02/25/12 09:15 PM
Club,
I am not sure exactly what you mean....authorized sellers maybe. I bought mine at Best Buy and they priced matched off the internet. I saved $500.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Advice on building my home theatre - 02/26/12 03:50 AM
Yeah, if you do find a place selling an Elite on the Internet, you get no warranty from Pioneer. There's no place within a 100 miles of me that sells Elite models.

It's funny (but nice) that Best Buy price matched that. The whole reason Pioneer doesn't let them be sold on the Internet is to keep direct competition down, and prices up.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Advice on building my home theatre - 02/26/12 05:06 AM
I'm curious why would Pioneer care about keeping the competition down amongst its retailers? I would think they sell their products to the retailers for more or less the same prices, what the retailers do after that should be up to them.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Advice on building my home theatre - 02/26/12 06:00 AM
It gives the product range an air of exclusivity too. Denon does it with their Marantz line, and in the car world Toyota with Lexus.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Advice on building my home theatre - 02/26/12 01:51 PM
Onkyo also does it with Integra, I believe.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Advice on building my home theatre - 02/28/12 01:46 AM
Never thought of it that way as they are still Pioneer just with the Elite badge on it so I never really thought of them as a separate entity like a Lexus or Integra/Marantz.
Posted By: dakkon Re: Advice on building my home theatre - 02/28/12 04:04 AM
Originally Posted By: Brad H
I've been ogling the M80's for a long time now and will be moving next month into a nice new spot, so I think it's time to build my dream home theatre...

Because the move will be a bit pricey (and I will likely be listening to music more often than watching movies), I am planning on getting the M80's and the EP500 to start, then upgrading in 6-12 months with a center and surrounds.

I would tell you to wait until March 23rd, see what the new speakers are going to be like. The new speakers may be a better option than M80's... They will most likely be more expensive than the M80's but i am sure that they will be WELL worth the extra cash.

Just a thought.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Advice on building my home theatre - 02/28/12 03:41 PM
Originally Posted By: jakewash
Never thought of it that way as they are still Pioneer just with the Elite badge on it so I never really thought of them as a separate entity like a Lexus or Integra/Marantz.

That's where those other companies fooled you. They're not separate entities either.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Advice on building my home theatre - 03/03/12 08:18 PM
I know they are not separate entities but by using a different name they convey a different perception of quality, good or bad, over the original.
© Axiom Message Boards