Axiom Home Page
I just read the article and it refers to a coaxial cable between the SW and AV from what I understand. In my system and the ones I have built there never has been, it's just one cable with a canare connector. I have noticed a hum from my SW but only when playing Blu-rays on the PS3. The hum will go away if I turn the receiver to (Pure Audio) that's what Onkyo calls it anyway. From what I understand it turns off unnecessary "things" in the receiver. It's weird though I don't hear it through the Tivo or Apple TV only the PS3....Any ideas???
Chances are good that the hum is a ground loop. You can test this by using a "cheater plug" that bypasses the ground pin on the plug.

Chances are pretty good that it's being caused by your cable input to the system, further evidenced by the "Pure Audio" mode on your Onkyo bypassing the video circuitry.
The cable you're using is, in fact, a coaxial cable. It's just of fancier sort. It refers to what's in the cable, not really what it does. RCA cables of any kind also qualify as coaxial, as do most interconnects.

As for the hum, these other fellows will have a better chance than I of clearing that up for you.
The Ground Isolator that is referred to looks like it has threads on it meaning it was for use with coaxial cable. Is there one without threads that you are aware of?
That ground isolator does not connect to the subwoofer, it connects to the cable TV cable.

The easiest way to install the Axiom ground loop isolator is to install it beetwen the cable service wall plate outlet and the cable box.

It works to solve the issue when your tv/internet service provider is delivered via ground tansportation;it will not work with a satellite provider.

If your PS3 is connected to the internet it might the origin of your ground loop problem. To verify if it is the case simply remove the internet connection from your PS3. If the hum goes away you have identified the source of your hum problem.
Hello funcshun,

Just an FYI: in domestic audio/video systems, canare connectors are mostly used for RF connections. I've never heard of a subwoofer-to-AV receiver connection using canare connectors. It doesn't mean you can't use one (you obviously have); it's just that all AV receivers and subwoofers normally use the RCA-style connector with shielded cable between the line-level sub output and the subwoofer line input.

In balanced systems, XLR cables are used between the preamp or AV receiver and the subwoofer.

All other comments about ground loops and eliminating the latter apply.

Regards,
Alan
Alan, I believe he has Canare brand RCA connectors. See the BlueJeans subwoofer cable page: http://bluejeanscable.com/store/subwoofer/index.htm
Yep Ken, that is what I use for my subwoofer cables.
How bizarre. I just Googled "canare connectors" and various links popped up, like this one, to the usual RF-type connector:

http://www.fullcompass.com/search.php?tx...CFYMRNAodeDfU-Q

So "Canare" is a brand name of RCA-style connectors?

Rather confusing.

Cheers,
Alan
Yup.

Try googling RCA. You'll be even more confused. wink
Ok thanks for the info, I will try a couple of different things....And yes it is the blue-jean cable/RCA type connector that I am using. I don't think it is the internet connection because it is wireless and the Apple TV & Tivo are wireless as well. So I think it is b/t the PS3-AV-SW so the grounding might be the issue as the Tivo plugs into the AV.
Hey. Another Iowan! I guess you've been around for a while, just haven't posted in a few years. I just moved last summer from the Des Moines area (sort of close to where SirQuack lives) to Marion.
I maintain that "RCA jacks and plugs" have been the usual nomenclature for what, in the vinyl era of hi-fi, began as the "RCA phono jack", by far the most common audio-video connector in domestic (not pro) hi-fi and video for decades until the advent of DVI and HDMI connectors.

"Canare", apart from the brand name, has never been part of common usage. Even with RF 75-ohm connectors, "F-connector" or "BNC" connector is the common term for an RF connector, which is used by virtually all cable-TV company installers.

Alan
Originally Posted By: alan
How bizarre. I just Googled "canare connectors" and various links popped up, like this one, to the usual RF-type connector:

http://www.fullcompass.com/search.php?tx...CFYMRNAodeDfU-Q

So "Canare" is a brand name of RCA-style connectors?

Rather confusing.

Cheers,
Alan

On page six in the link you provided they list the Canare RCA plug.

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/232498.html

http://bluejeanscable.com/pages/technicaldocs/canarercap.pdf

These are incredible RCA connectors.

Originally Posted By: Funcshun
I just read the article and it refers to a coaxial cable between the SW and AV from what I understand. In my system and the ones I have built there never has been, it's just one cable with a canare connector. I have noticed a hum from my SW but only when playing Blu-rays on the PS3. The hum will go away if I turn the receiver to (Pure Audio) that's what Onkyo calls it anyway. From what I understand it turns off unnecessary "things" in the receiver. It's weird though I don't hear it through the Tivo or Apple TV only the PS3....Any ideas???

You have a ground loop. If you have an Axiom subwoofer, there is a ground screw you can remove on the back of the amp. There are chances that might be enough to stop the hum.

If not follow this guide to eliminating ground loops in your system. Here is a quick snippet from the article.

Start simple. Troubleshooting ground loops involves taking things in order and checking a few basic, common elements to see if the problem is simple, or complex. For example, if adjusting the volume on your processor/receiver does not alter the hum level, then the problem must be occurring after that point. It if occurred prior, then the receiver/processor would typically raise the overall level of noise. Make sense?

Work in the following methodical manner:

Start with the processor receiver to determine if the hum/buzz is source-related or due to a ground loop occurring after the amplification stage
Note any recent changes to the system that brought on this problem. Chances are, you can more easily isolate a problem if it just starting with the addition of a new piece of equipment.
What can you do quickly and easily to isolate or identify the problem and point to the proper solution (i.e. unplugging the cable from the wall to see if the Cable TV is the source of a ground loop.)

One other test to eliminate your receiver or processor is to see if the hum changes based on what input you have selected (DVD player, Cable TV, etc.) Does the hum change or go away when selecting a different input? No? Then your problem is occurring at a later stage in the system (most likely a ground loop caused by the addition of an amplifier or powered subwoofer with a 3-prong power cable.)

The final test is to unplug your Cable TV cable from the wall. Does the hum go away? It did in the case of Reference System 3. Eureka ! There must be a ground loop in the system involving the Cable TV line.

http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/connec...em-hum-and-buzz
© Axiom Message Boards