Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Dip QS-8 placement question using Onkyo TX-NR 809 - 04/02/12 04:51 PM
Hi all,
I recently bought 4 QS-8s and Onkyo TX-NR809, to go with my M80s and VP180.
I am having some difficulty in placing my two surround speakers. I was able to put two QS8s on both sides of the seating area (Surround Left and Right), but have no way of placing remaining two, Surround Back Right and Surround Back Left one.
Is it o.k. to place them as Front high speakers, or will I loose anything by doing that? I mainly use the home theatre for watching movies via Netflix or Blu rays.
I have Audessey equalizer to calibrate the speakers. Any suggestion will be extremely helpful and appreciated.
A link to hook diagram as recommended by Onkyo:
http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/Quic...f446811636a7148
Thanks,
Dip Kushari
Interesting proposal. I haven't tried that, but I would like to hear what others have to say about it too.
I haven't tried it myself, but I think the whole idea of surround back didn't really take off. So newer boxes idea of 7.1 probably will default to height/wide as the extra 2 (5.1 + 2 = 7.1) instead of surround backs.
While it's certainly not the majority of discs out there, I find many good movies are encoded in discrete 7.1. E.g. Transformers3, Sound of Music on BRD (yeah, I'll take flak for that!), Pan's Labyrinth, Toy Story 3, Cars 2, Hugo, Super 8 and some awesome concert discs as well (Chris Botti in Boston as an example).

It may not have taken off, but I sure am hopeful that it is not going to die either.
Dip, if placement of back surrounds is nearly impossible(it might help if you specifically describe the problem), then using them as front heights is certainly feasible. Yet another possibility would be using them as front widths with the Audyssey DSX width processing.
I hope that surround backs don't die off either since I bought 2 more QS8s to be installed in my yet to be finished theater. Then again, I will need them anyway to fill the surround sound field anyway due to room size and layout.

Still wondering about the QS8s up front. Maybe I should have wired for that. LOL
Nick, there's no "die off" possibility. Using processing such as DPLIIx, all 2-channel and 5-channel source material can be used to extract content which images well in back.
i too have 4 QS8v3 surround speakers. two are for side and two are for back; all of them work incredibly well.

the sides are amazing but the backs, they serve 2 purposes. they act as true back channels for 6 & 7 channel movies but they matrix for 5 channel movies. i have big groups over up to 12 at a time for movie nights and when watching a movie that's 5 channels everyone gets the same surround effects because for the folks sitting in the back, the sound is matrixed from the side to the rear so everyone gets their surround effects and nobody misses out!

it even works out really well for 7 channel movies. remember, the QS series projects a hugh surround field, they don't blast sound directed at you, they make you look around and try to figure out where the speaker is that made the sound!

my rears are about 13' back from the sides and it really sounds great. best of luck with whatever you decide to do.
It seems to me if you have a big open space behind the seating area rear surrounds have more value then if you don't.
SirQuack (Randy) has his hanging from the ceiling... Might be an option.
not anymore, since I redid the whole room and enclosed the room off, my rear speakers are on the back wall behind the 2nd row, and the sides are on the side walls now.
OK. But you DID... Of course, I haven't seen any pictures of the new room, so I didn't know. grin
Hi Dip;

Dale Rasco from Home Theater Shack did some height speakers if you'd like to see his installation:

Height Speakers http://www.axiomaudio.com/blog/home-theater-pictures/?album=1&gallery=137
i know, been busy Nick, will try to get pics some day, I know I"ve said that before. smile
Originally Posted By: SirQuack
i know, been busy Nick, will try to get pics some day, I know I"ve said that before. smile

At least you weren't foolish enough to start your own build thread. Then every time you got on the forums, you would have seen your build thread....sitting there....staring you in the face...waiting for an update, or a picture......taunting you...
This is why after a year of a super slow build, I still haven't posted pics and still won't until it's done. One must be very strategic when it comes to advanced procrastination.
Top ten reasons to procrastinate:
Best app on the Android, "Do it tomorrow"
Originally Posted By: Amie
Hi Dip;

Dale Rasco from Home Theater Shack did some height speakers if you'd like to see his installation:

Height Speakers http://www.axiomaudio.com/blog/home-theater-pictures/?album=1&gallery=137

nice theater! i do have a question, i notice that his heights were pointed straight ahead and appeared to be the on/in wall type. most of the reading for installing heights recommend that they be pointed down at 45 degree angle. do any of you guys have heights installed and if so, are they straight ahead or pointed down at a 45 and do you get a good effect from whichever way you have them installed?

did you try both straight ahead and 45 and if so, which did you ultimately stay with and why?

i know it's a bit off track but you all can blame Amie for starting it! blush
© Axiom Message Boards