Axiom Home Page
Posted By: mpyw Triple sub-woofer setup - 04/12/12 03:42 AM
Went to my friend's place to check out his 3 sub-woofer setup, 2 x SVS PC12 NSD and 1 Rythmik FV12.

It's a ported + sealed combo. 2 SVS in front at the back of his towers and the FV12 at the left back of the seating area.

Tested the star wars's pod race scene, WOTW pod imerge scene and other LFE scene in AVS demo disc.

What I can say is the tacticle feel and SPL are awesome but I do felt some boominess somewhere, some low frequency stays too long and sounded more to noise than details to me. Maybe it's a setup or room proble.

But i do like to test the setup in my room sometime.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Triple sub-woofer setup - 04/12/12 01:07 PM
I have my EP600 in the back of the room/left corner, and my twin EP350's up front in my new enclosed room and it is awesome.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Triple sub-woofer setup - 04/12/12 02:03 PM
Originally Posted By: SirQuack
I have my EP600 in the back of the room/left corner, and my twin EP350's up front in my new enclosed room and it is awesome.

I don't believe it since there are no pictures...

As for boominess, what are the acoustical treatments in the room? For example, if there aren't bass traps, there are probably all sorts of problems.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Triple sub-woofer setup - 04/12/12 02:09 PM
wink ok ok, I will try to take a few pics this weekend. The rest of the rec room is still a mess, but won't show that, lol
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Triple sub-woofer setup - 04/12/12 03:46 PM
I think Nick is right on. The room makes a huge difference.

AND as a longtime SVS owner and someone who has heard many other subs, my belief is that SVS sometimes sacrifices lower distortion in order to get lower frequency response and/or higher SPL. I think my (older) PB12-NSD is very powerful, but I sometimes perceive it as inarticulate.

Despite what some companies and hobbyist forums purport, I think that subwoofer design and engineering remain relatively complex, and that the performance/satisfaction of subwoofers isn't so easily quantified.

But, you know, I'm just a guy who enjoys music and movies in his living room.
Posted By: dakkon Re: Triple sub-woofer setup - 04/12/12 03:53 PM
Originally Posted By: nickbuol
if there aren't bass traps

Can someone please tell me why Bass traps are SO darn expensive??? They seem like they can be DIYed pretty easily..... am i missing something?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Triple sub-woofer setup - 04/12/12 03:59 PM
that is why I made mine, as long as you have the right material, not to hard.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Triple sub-woofer setup - 04/12/12 04:29 PM
Small market. Supply and demand, baby.
Posted By: dakkon Re: Triple sub-woofer setup - 04/12/12 04:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Ken.C
Small market. Supply and demand, baby.

Yeah, i get that. but the price seems exorbitant as compared to the cost of production... i mean 400$ for some cloth, foam, and wood..... seems like about 50$ of materials or so....... If the materials cost 50$, then even with a small demand, i would expect the price to "maybe" be 150-200$.... but 400?!?!?!?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Triple sub-woofer setup - 04/12/12 04:52 PM
Are you familiar with boutique cables?
Posted By: dakkon Re: Triple sub-woofer setup - 04/12/12 09:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Ken.C
Are you familiar with boutique cables?

YEah... But, that is NOT supply and demand... that is more psychology than true economic theory....

That is what i think anyhow......
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Triple sub-woofer setup - 04/12/12 10:16 PM
Originally Posted By: dakkon
i mean 400$ for some cloth, foam, and wood..... seems like about 50$ of materials or so....... If the materials cost 50$, then even with a small demand, i would expect the price to "maybe" be 150-200$.... but 400?!?!?!?

Actually foam = bad...
The "best" stuff is generally considered to be Owens Corning OC703 and OC705 rigid insulation. There are other products with similar acoustical ratings. Some people go with mineral wool which isn't as stiff and needs more bracing. Either of these options will put you into the couple $100 bill range pretty quick.

You can save a little more with some superchunk traps like Randy (Mr Quack) did, but use the denim insulation. It will obviously need quite a bit of support.

To save even more, there are a couple of guys in the Acoustical Treatments thread at AVS that say that the cheap ol' pink fluffy insulation works well too, if the trap is designed right.

But foam is crap. The places that sell the foam pieces in different colors and such have been ripped apart with their own technical data and independent testing over at AVS.

I better figure out what I want to do in my theater pretty quick. Carpet just got installed today...
Posted By: dakkon Re: Triple sub-woofer setup - 04/12/12 10:21 PM
Originally Posted By: nickbuol

I better figure out what I want to do in my theater pretty quick. Carpet just got installed today...

Are you going to be taking pictures of what you do? Are you going to DIY? I would like to see what you go with... I would like to take advantage of your research. grin
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Triple sub-woofer setup - 04/12/12 10:52 PM
I'm too lazy to look for it, but Randy posted a really great DIY thread when he made his.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Triple sub-woofer setup - 04/13/12 12:00 AM
I am going DIY for sure. I've been researching the denim cotton insulation stuff quite a bit and I am going to be covering my whole front wall with it to reduce reflections, and I am really thinking that the material could make some good bass traps, but I would have to build a frame that fit into the corner with "shelves"
every foot so that the weight of the insulation isn't crushing the stuff on the bottom. The stuff I bought for the whole front wall was like $50 tops. It would take probably 2 more bundles like that for two front traps. A little pine 1x2s and some 1/4" plywood cut into triangles for the corners. Then I would stretch black acoustical fabric over it. For me it will end up behind my screen wall, so it doesn't need to look like much.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Triple sub-woofer setup - 04/13/12 12:45 AM
I spent about $100 for 12 pieces of 2x4 Owens Corning 703, found some black stretchy material and muslin cloth at Walmart cheap, wood at local home improvement store. Doesn't cost much to make them, pictures below.

Posted By: whippersnapper Re: Triple sub-woofer setup - 04/13/12 08:08 PM
I've read a good bit about designing a home studio, an application in which controlling reflections and standing waves is really critical. The articles I've seen on DIY projects to correct these issues have generally made it sound as though building a simple screen to reduce unwanted reflections in the mid-treble range is pretty easy and inexpensive.

OTOH, coming up with a trap to tame serious standing waves in the bass frequencies is another ballgame. A lot of it has to do with room dimensions. It also has to do with the density of the trap material. Simple pink insulation won't cut it, I believe.

However, I've never made a serious attempt at it myself, so this is all theoretical. smile
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Triple sub-woofer setup - 04/13/12 09:06 PM
Yep, those above are just FRZ's (first reflection zone) panels. For corners you want bass traps, which is where bass likes to collect. After adding mine the before/after graph I did improved a lot. First graph no treatments, 2nd graph with FRZ's and bass traps. Keep in mind this was when my room was 30ft x 31ft. Also, this was back in the M60 and ep 300 days, before my current 3 sub setup. First the graphs.

Posted By: Dduval Re: Triple sub-woofer setup - 04/13/12 09:21 PM
First time I've seen that Randy, nice work. That bass trap is awesome!
© Axiom Message Boards