Axiom Home Page
Posted By: MarkSJohnson HDMI question - 04/12/12 05:59 PM
Just a quick HDMI question. I have a Denon 3808 for reference.

If I'm listening to audio through HDMI, it will "mute" if another HDMI component is turned off or on.

For instance, I'm just now listening to the Rush - Moving Pictures B-D disc that came in a few minutes ago. I had my TV on since the beginning of the disc, but I just turned it off mid-disc. So, my B-D player's audio was muted for 3-4 seconds...which irritates me. The same thing happens with any of my other HDMI-connected devices.

Is this an inherent HDMI handshaking issue? I assume so, because my editing computer has two 24" monitors connected via HDMI, and one momentarily turns itself off/on when the other is turned off/on.

It's annoying enough to me that I'm considering doubling up on some HDMI-connected equipment with analog audio when I re-do my system this weekend...assuming my receiver has enough available inputs!
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: HDMI question - 04/12/12 06:45 PM
It's that the receiver functions as an HDMI repeater. Since it isn't a display, it has to pass on the resolution information of the display connected to it. So when the display turns off, it becomes an end device, and re-handshakes with the source with the updated information.

I've seen devices that go between the receiver and display that are always on, and lock to the display's information. These are mostly to keep the receiver advertising at least 1080i so you can get multi-channel audio at over 48 kHz (8 channels of 24/94 audio is too much to multiplex with 480p video, which most receivers default to). I just usually tell my Pioneer plasma to turn off the display, while keeping the rest active so I don't get the audio drop-out, and can maintain full quality.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: HDMI question - 04/12/12 07:27 PM
Program some macros.

There, I fixed it.

grin

Honestly, I don't have this problem with my Onkyo, and I wonder if it has something to do with how you've got stuff wired. Are you sending output from the TV to the Receiver or vice-versa?
Posted By: cb919 Re: HDMI question - 04/12/12 07:39 PM
I don't think anything is wired wrong. I have the exact same issue, it's just that I so rarely turn off the TV when audio is playing that this has never bothered me like it does Mark.

Chris - how do you tell you your Pio plasma to turn off the display without turning off the TV? I have a Pio plasma as well so am very curious.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: HDMI question - 04/12/12 08:01 PM
I'm not in front of it now, but in the tool menu (I think), there's an option: "Display: Off", then any button turns it back on (I think, again).
Posted By: jakewash Re: HDMI question - 04/13/12 09:37 PM
Mark, you don't happen to have HDMI control turned on in the 3808? If you do I would try turning this feature off and see if it helps.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: HDMI question - 04/13/12 09:54 PM
Guys, I'm sorry....I got busy with other things and forgot I had even posted this question.

Tom, everything routes into my receiver, with an HDMI output to the monitor.

I'm planning on adding to that when I reroute the system shortly. Because my LG monitor is not simply an end display now, but also a source (Amazon, YouTube....a full browser), I want to bring an audio feed from the LG back to the receiver so I get better audio with these sources.

Jason, I don't believe that the 3808 has that option, I'll have to check.

I don't want to spend the money, but I sometimes wonder if a new receiver wouldn't make nice with everything. More (and newer) 3D-capable HDMI ports. And maybe a new Oppo.

Damn. I've already entered V2.0 of my HT with a new, bigger TV, the 160, and an outboard amp. Where does it end??? grin
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: HDMI question - 04/13/12 11:02 PM
Newer HDMI chips do re-handshake much more quickly, but there will still likely be a blip in the audio.
Posted By: SBrown Re: HDMI question - 04/13/12 11:19 PM
Speaking of HDMI...I buy this new Gateway system they have from Shaw Cable and I have been having fallouts in the sound and then last night I went to turn the TV on and NO sound.

So..I went to go online and get the number, no cable? I phone them, and we finally get my cable going. The next day(today) I wake up and no sound on the TV.

After all of this, I went and unplugged my cable box ,and now it`s GOLDEN.

I just had to reset it.

Life is good!
Posted By: jakewash Re: HDMI question - 04/14/12 04:15 PM
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson

Jason, I don't believe that the 3808 has that option, I'll have to check.

I don't want to spend the money, but I sometimes wonder if a new receiver wouldn't make nice with everything. More (and newer) 3D-capable HDMI ports. And maybe a new Oppo.

You're right the 3808 doesn't enable HDMI control (It was a shot in the dark, I had to look it up too) it just passes the signal thru from the other components, maybe double check those items and turn the feature off and see if it helps at all.

To enable the ARC(Audio Return Channel - HDMI 1.4 spec) from your TV you will need to buy a new AVR with HDMI 1.4 specs or you could use the digital output, usually optical from what I have seen on most of the TV's I have looked at, back to the 3808.
Posted By: jakewash Re: HDMI question - 04/14/12 04:18 PM
Originally Posted By: SBrown
Speaking of HDMI...I buy this new Gateway system they have from Shaw Cable and I have been having fallouts in the sound and then last night I went to turn the TV on and NO sound.

So..I went to go online and get the number, no cable? I phone them, and we finally get my cable going. The next day(today) I wake up and no sound on the TV.

I just had to reset it.

Life is good!
My parents are using Shaw's new gateway/portal system and they are having freeze ups, audio drop outs etc. I have tried using 3 different HDMI cables just in case it was a cable and have bypassed the avr as well, never thought about shutting the dang thing down and resetting it, D'oh!!
Posted By: casey01 Re: HDMI question - 04/14/12 05:32 PM
Originally Posted By: jakewash
Originally Posted By: SBrown

I just had to reset it.

Life is good!
My parents are using Shaw's new gateway/portal system and they are having freeze ups, audio drop outs etc. I have tried using 3 different HDMI cables just in case it was a cable and have bypassed the avr as well, never thought about shutting the dang thing down and resetting it, D'oh!!

Realistically and even to date, HDMI connections out of cable/Sat STBs have always been problematic. Watch for any potential audio/video dropouts down the road since I have found in the past it won't do it right away but usually within a few days of the initial hookup. Why, who knows? Since HD television is 1080i anyway with Dolby Digital sound in one form or another, I have always ended up gravitating back to component connections through my AVR along with coax/optical audio and HDMI out from there to the monitor. Although it is more cables, the connections are much more stable and the video and sound quality are equivalent to HDMI anyway.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: HDMI question - 04/14/12 06:01 PM
One thing I don't like with my 3808 is when streaming network audio it places a similar gap between tracks on a CD.

I also have the same issue as you Mark but I guess I've just learned to ignore it.
Posted By: jakewash Re: HDMI question - 04/14/12 11:24 PM
Casey, Shaw Cable has moved up to 1080P for their HD, I am not sure if this 1080P is just for movies with their on demand stuff as I suspect or if they are in fact upscaling their signal of HDTV to 1080P as well, haven't spent much time investigating the situation. I know the networks are broadcasting in 720P or 1080i depending on the network.

I don't think I have ever noticed an extra gap when listening to music streamed through the 3808, but I seldom listen to entire cd's, I usually just play all tracks and let them come as they may.
Posted By: casey01 Re: HDMI question - 04/15/12 06:37 PM
Originally Posted By: jakewash
Casey, Shaw Cable has moved up to 1080P for their HD, I am not sure if this 1080P is just for movies with their on demand stuff as I suspect or if they are in fact upscaling their signal of HDTV to 1080P as well, haven't spent much time investigating the situation. I know the networks are broadcasting in 720P or 1080i depending on the network.

I don't think I have ever noticed an extra gap when listening to music streamed through the 3808, but I seldom listen to entire cd's, I usually just play all tracks and let them come as they may.

I checked out Shaw's service, their advertising this "EXO" stuff quite a bit, their regional HO is just across the highway from my house. Rogers has got the equivalent on cable with their new service and STB. I suppose Shaw can advertise 1080p capability all they want but I have yet to see any programming ever or for the foreseeable that is transmitting in 1080p. Just takes too much more bandwidth and these service providers would rather add extra channels than add that extra resolution.

I have got the latest Cisco(formerly Scientific Atlanta) STB and still have intermittent problems on programming when connected via HDMI so, as I mentioned, as of now and with no real difference in picture and sound quality connected via component and coax for audio, I have dispensed with using the HDMI connection out of the STB only. Every other source through my AVR connected via HDMI is fine.
Posted By: SBrown Re: HDMI question - 04/15/12 09:06 PM
Thanks Casey, I might go that route. But I mentioned it to Shaw and they said they are "working on it". So I think alot of customers are complaining to solve this issue.

edit: forgot to say I haven't anymore trouble here.
© Axiom Message Boards