Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Steaktooth Upgrading from a HK AV-630 - 04/16/12 03:28 AM
Hello, I currently have a Harmon Kardon AV-630 receiver and Axiom home theater speakers.

M60 floor R/L
VP 150 ctr
Qs8 surrounds
HSU Sub STF2

I was thinking of upgrading my receiver to have some of the features new receivers offer but I don't want the sound quality to suffer. Can you recommend any receivers that would be comparable sound quality wise. I would only be using 5.1 as it seems to do the job quite well in the 12x24 room. Any suggestions would be helpful. I have not paid much attention to the audio world since I bought this setup seven years ago or so. Many of the new receivers seem much cheaper and quite a bit lighter. That HK weighs over 40lbs I think! Am i wrong to associate weight with a more powerful power supply and likely better quality?
Posted By: dakkon Re: Upgrading from a HK AV-630 - 04/16/12 04:23 AM
Originally Posted By: Steaktooth
Am i wrong to associate weight with a more powerful power supply and likely better quality?

To a certain extent no, your not.. The main power source of an amp is the transformer/capacitors... A transformer is basically a coil of copper wire, the larger the transformer the stronger the amp can be.... better quality, well that can be another story...

What features are you wanting? I do not have any HDMI in my current system. In a way i am in the same position you are.. I am thinking that will get a HDMI switcher to take advantage of the new video stuff when i had a display that can take advantage of it...

I may get this HDMI switcher, when the time comes.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/produc...=1&format=2

I have talked to some people that have said that the monoprice hdmi switchers are actually of pretty good quality.

Others know a considerable amont more about receivers than myself.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Upgrading from a HK AV-630 - 04/16/12 08:30 AM
Steak, welcome. As to basic sound quality viewed strictly as an amplifier(no processing features taken into account), there's no need for concern about any well-designed modern HT receiver. They amplify transparently within their designed maximum power limits without adding an audible sonic coloration. Any amplifier that has a "sound" is either incompetently designed or defective.

Amplification should not be bought by the pound; if the desired power capacity is supplied, the weight of the units doing so can vary widely, depending on design, without significant effect.

For more up-to-date features, including most significantly Audyssey MultEQ XT auto-calibration and room correction, I'd suggest that you consider(especially if you still want to consider the weight factor)the factory refurbished(which should be, if anything, even more reliable than a brand-new unit)Onkyo 809 from Accessories4less here , a great bargain at about $600. The 709, with a slightly lower maximum power capacity, is an even better bargain there at around $430.
Posted By: INANE Re: Upgrading from a HK AV-630 - 04/17/12 03:52 AM
Just wanted to shout out to a fellow 630 owner! Love mine but alas, for the same reasons I too will be looking to replace it in the not too distant future.
© Axiom Message Boards