Axiom Home Page
Posted By: sonicfox HDMI switches - 10/19/12 08:59 PM
Anyone get these to work properly? I bought one because I had no idea when I decided on a new receiver a couple years ago that I'd actually NEED one. Figures! Well, I got one from Monoprice and it's supposed to do automatic switching. Well, it doesn't in my case. I wouldn't mind it so much if it would pass the signal like it should. The picture and sound disappear as fast as it shows up. It's frustrating.
Posted By: grunt Re: HDMI switches - 10/19/12 10:40 PM
In my limited experience they are hit-or-miss. I bought one locally but it wouldn’t play nice with my Xbox360 so I returned it and got one from Monprice which has worked fine for the last 5 years. However, the one I bought is manual switching, but was programmable into my remote.
Posted By: Murph Re: HDMI switches - 10/22/12 11:54 AM
Agreed. They are hit and miss. My current one is a NexXTech from the local "The Source" and it wasn't built to auto-switch but it works seamlessly from my universal remote. It actually replaced a Monoprice switch that did not work well at all with my equipment. It it's defense, it works fine for a friend's gear whom I gave it to.

It seems that HDMI standards are not very standard. What might work for you might have trouble with another person's combination.
Posted By: casey01 Re: HDMI switches - 10/22/12 02:25 PM
Originally Posted By: sonicfox
Anyone get these to work properly? I bought one because I had no idea when I decided on a new receiver a couple years ago that I'd actually NEED one. Figures! Well, I got one from Monoprice and it's supposed to do automatic switching. Well, it doesn't in my case. I wouldn't mind it so much if it would pass the signal like it should. The picture and sound disappear as fast as it shows up. It's frustrating.

You might also want to check out the units from "Atlona", more expensive but a big well known company in to commercial as well as residential. They do sell on line directly, however, I would recommend "B&H Photo" in NYC, generally they are quite a bit less costly than Atlona direct and carry most of their line(which is substantial).
Posted By: Ken.C Re: HDMI switches - 10/22/12 03:04 PM
I have had success with a monoprice switch without auto-switch. I'm not using it any more, though. If you'd like it, send me a PM.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: HDMI switches - 10/22/12 03:53 PM
Mary, he might demand a cookie for sending it. Evidently, it's his weak spot!
Posted By: sonicfox Re: HDMI switches - 10/22/12 08:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Ken.C
I have had success with a monoprice switch without auto-switch. I'm not using it any more, though. If you'd like it, send me a PM.

Ken, thanks for the offer, and I might take you up on that! This is the one I bought. It's supposed to do automatic switching and manual as well. My problem is not all devices work on it no matter what. The light on the switch shows the device is connected, but when I choose that device, the picture & sound go away as fast as it shows up. Do you think it might be a problem with the cables? The website recommends 24AWG cables, but I don't know what mine are.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: HDMI switches - 10/22/12 08:19 PM
This is pretty much what I have, without the extra graphics on the top.

It proabably wouldn't hurt to try one of their cables. I bought some with the switch (using them now without it), but I had some bundled-in cables with various pieces of equipment I also used that worked just fine.
© Axiom Message Boards