Axiom Home Page
Posted By: huskydave just bought some m80's - 12/16/12 11:18 PM
I just picked up a used set of m80's for $560. I had 3 pairs of huge 12" three way speakers just on the front two channels plus surunds etc.. and my wife told me to get something smaller lol. I have a pioneer 9140 amp and a sansui au317. I am using the sansui to power the fronts via pre outs. I love the tubelike sansui sound but now I may need a bigger amp for the m80's. I was thinking about getting a large center channel speaker and some small b and w surrounds. I should mention I blew every other speaker I had. I like to listen to music at fairly high volumes but I like to have large speakers on the fronts to get directional bass instead of using a sub. I listen to music in stereo and movies in 7.0.
Posted By: fredk Re: just bought some m80's - 12/17/12 12:13 AM
Great score! Consider the M80 center as it would be a perfect match. Paying as much for the center as you did for the mains might be painful though. smile

For surrounds look at the qs8. Its one of the best surrounds out there.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: just bought some m80's - 12/17/12 12:50 AM
I'm not familiar with your amp, but it's generally turning up an underpowered amp into distortion levels, or clipping, that will blow your speakers. I wouldn't trust this amp at anything but lower volume levels.
Posted By: colson79 Re: just bought some m80's - 12/17/12 04:01 PM
The M80's are 4 ohm speakers so you definitely want a good amp to get the most out of them. I'm not familiar with the sansui au317 you are using so I did a quick google search and it looks like that amp was made back in 1975? If true it might be time for an upgrade.
Posted By: huskydave Re: just bought some m80's - 12/20/12 01:13 AM
my Pioneer vsx9140thx is being repaired as we speak. I am looking at buying a 2 or 3 channel poweramp. I am considering the Emotiva XPA-2 or XPA-3 and the Van Alstine Insight+ 240 or a bryston 4b. I would them have the pioneer for the rest of the surround speakers.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: just bought some m80's - 12/20/12 01:49 AM
you might be suprised on how the Pioneer does alone.
Posted By: aaaaaaaaaaaaa Re: just bought some m80's - 12/20/12 07:30 PM
I have a Pioneer vsx9130txh and cant wait to replace it. You should try yours first, of course, but mine sounds like it's strained when I bump the volume up even a little bit over modest levels. Thin like popeyes wife.

I am driving 4ish ohm towers set to full range and there is not enough grunt to get the wow I know the speakers are capable of....

I would drive your center and mains with an external amp like you are thinking.... my 0.02. wink
© Axiom Message Boards