Axiom Home Page
Posted By: dakkon Processor upgrade opinions.. - 07/12/13 02:11 AM
So, i am seriously thinking about getting a new processor..

Right now, my two choices are

1) Integra DHC80.3
2)Marantz 8801 Accessories4less has this unit for 2,300$..

I am strongly thinking about getting the Marantz unit.
Posted By: casey01 Re: Processor upgrade opinions.. - 07/12/13 02:41 AM
Originally Posted By: dakkon
So, i am seriously thinking about getting a new processor..

Right now, my two choices are

1) Integra DHC80.3
2)Marantz 8801 Accessories4less has this unit for 2,300$..

I am strongly thinking about getting the Marantz unit.

A little more money, but the new Pre-Pro Yamaha recently announced (CX5000), "11.2 channels", looks pretty interesting and I am strongly considering it when it is available in the next couple of months. I always had a preference for the Yamaha's especially because of their movie soundfields. Also, their upper end Aventage series AVR's along with this new unit from what I have observed generally have better warranties(4 years) than most others which are 2 or 3 years.
Posted By: dakkon Re: Processor upgrade opinions.. - 07/12/13 01:03 PM
Casey, i'm not even gonna sweat the 600$. i can wait until there are some reviews and comparisons between the yamaha unit and the two above.

Thanks for pointing that unit out.

On a side note, accessories4less is also an authorized yamaha dealer... So, i may be able to grab it for below retail from them.
Posted By: casey01 Re: Processor upgrade opinions.. - 07/12/13 02:34 PM
Originally Posted By: dakkon
Casey, i'm not even gonna sweat the 600$. i can wait until there are some reviews and comparisons between the yamaha unit and the two above.

Thanks for pointing that unit out.

On a side note, accessories4less is also an authorized yamaha dealer... So, i may be able to grab it for below retail from them.

Yep, that is interesting, from what I always remember and I may be wrong about this, "A4L" wasn't always a Yamaha dealer, concentrating mostly on Onkyo, Denon and later Marantz. With this new Pre-Pro from Yamaha under discussion, I would expect if they ever do get it, you may have to wait awhile.

I am assuming you are in the US otherwise, there hasn't been much to choose from lately for someone like myself, because, for some reason, it seems more and more of the A4L suppliers are banning sales of a lot of their stuff outside of the U.S. Of course, this was always the case with Onkyo for pretty much every U.S. based reseller that I have seen even including Amazon.
Posted By: dakkon Re: Processor upgrade opinions.. - 07/12/13 03:12 PM
yep, US...

i've bought from them before, and i'm fairly certain johnk has as well. they currently have yamaha products listed. The interesting thing is A4L already has the marantz av8801. However, this doesn't mean they will get the new yamaha eight away....

btw, John.,, where are you, your ok right?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Processor upgrade opinions.. - 07/12/13 03:43 PM
I have as well. They're good folks.
Posted By: dakkon Re: Processor upgrade opinions.. - 07/12/13 04:45 PM
so, i just bought the marantz unit...
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Processor upgrade opinions.. - 07/12/13 06:21 PM
Well, THAT didn't take long.

Weren't you using an Anthem before? What are you going to do with that?
Posted By: dakkon Re: Processor upgrade opinions.. - 07/12/13 06:57 PM
i've got a Krell HTS. 7.1 right now.. i didnt want to go with another Krell unit because other manufacturers have exponentially more features, and i so t think i will notice a difference in sound quality....

I'll most likely put my Krell on audiogon, they are going for 1,300-1,900$ or so... So, the marantz should be nearly free... laugh
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Processor upgrade opinions.. - 07/12/13 07:42 PM
Nice!
Posted By: JohnK Re: Processor upgrade opinions.. - 07/13/13 01:28 AM
Alex, all's well; it was just one day that I didn't post. Yes, I've dealt with A4L and highly recommend them. On occasion ShopOnkyo has a special deal(e.g., 20% off)which gives them the edge over A4L on the Onkyo models included in the sale, but generally A4L has better buys.

As to your two named units, both of course are excellent, so go with price(which is what you apparently did).
Posted By: dakkon Re: Processor upgrade opinions.. - 07/13/13 02:04 AM
John, actually my rational was to go with the newer unit... The newer one just happened to be less expensive from A4L.. This is actually my third Marantz unit that i have bought from A4L... Last time it was a receiver and an amp.. Which are both still in use.
© Axiom Message Boards