Axiom Home Page
Posted By: dakkon Getting internet to your receiver..? - 12/25/13 03:55 AM
I have a Marantz AV8801, and am trying to get an internet connection to it. I don't have any Cat 5 cable run to the Marantz’s location (i wish i did).. I bought an Airport Express thinking I could use it to get a network signal to my Marantz.. However, I am having an impossibly hard time getting the Marantz to have an internet connection..

I thought that the Airport Express would be a super simple way to get internet, does anyone have any thoughts?

I may give Marantz a call later this week, see if they are open.

Thanks.
Posted By: dakkon Re: Getting internet to your receiver..? - 12/25/13 04:41 AM
So, i just plugged my laptop into the airport express with the wireless turned off, and the laptop grabbed an IP and had internet.. So, there is something going on with the Configuration within the Marantz... Guess, i will look through that manual....
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Getting internet to your receiver..? - 12/25/13 04:42 AM
Need more data on your network. I use an AE to get an ethernet connection to my gear, ultimately, but I'll need to know more about your setup before I can assist.
Posted By: dakkon Re: Getting internet to your receiver..? - 12/25/13 05:33 AM
I've got time warner as an ISP, and am using an Airport Extreme base station as a wireless router (the newest version, the AC one). Also, the AirPort express is also the newest version, the N version. If it was semi convenient to run some cat 5 cable through the attic, i would... But, unfortunately it's not practical.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Getting internet to your receiver..? - 12/25/13 11:10 AM
OK, so that's pretty easy. I assume either your Extreme or your cable modem is handing out IP addresses via DHCP?

If so, then you just need to set the Express to either "Join a Wireless Network" or "Extend a Wireless Network," put in your creds for the Extreme network, and you should be good to go. I would recommend setting a static address outside your DHCP range on the Express if you're doing the Join option.

As for the Marantz, I can't really help you there.
Posted By: casey01 Re: Getting internet to your receiver..? - 12/25/13 06:54 PM
Originally Posted By: dakkon
I have a Marantz AV8801, and am trying to get an internet connection to it. I don't have any Cat 5 cable run to the Marantz’s location (i wish i did).. I bought an Airport Express thinking I could use it to get a network signal to my Marantz.. However, I am having an impossibly hard time getting the Marantz to have an internet connection..

I thought that the Airport Express would be a super simple way to get internet, does anyone have any thoughts?

I may give Marantz a call later this week, see if they are open.

Thanks.

Not sure if this would apply in your case, however, I am running a WiFi set-up throughout the house(LT, PC, Internet radio etc.)and since my router is on another floor away from my A/V system and it seems these AVR/Pre-Pros only do online functions via Ethernet connections, back awhile ago I bought a wireless bridge which I connect both my Yamaha Pre-Pro(CX-A5000) and Oppo BDP105 player which gives me full access to the online features and any downloads that are required. Saves trying to run any cable through the house and there is four Ethernet connections to the bridge. It just has to be configured through the co's website and your ready to go.
Posted By: dakkon Re: Getting internet to your receiver..? - 12/25/13 07:52 PM
Right now i have the airport express configured as a wireless bridge.. under the "join network" option. I've also set a static IP.. The Marantz has a cat 5 cable connecting it to the airport express..

However, even after assigning the airport express a static ip i STILL can not get the Marantz an internet connection. I Also tried setting a static ip on the Marantz on the same subnet as the airport express.

I think i'll look at the Marantz thread over at AVS, see if there are any other people with a similar issue as myself.
Posted By: casey01 Re: Getting internet to your receiver..? - 12/25/13 08:36 PM
Right now i have the airport express configured as a wireless bridge.. under the "join network" option. I've also set a static IP.. The Marantz has a cat 5 cable connecting it to the airport express..

However, even after assigning the airport express a static ip i STILL can not get the Marantz an internet connection. I Also tried setting a static ip on the Marantz on the same subnet as the airport express.

I think i'll look at the Marantz thread over at AVS, see if there are any other people with a similar issue as myself.

It would seem pretty much to be a compatibility issue here which is rather strange especially with the Marantz unit that you have which is "top of the line". It should be pretty much plug and play out of your Pre-Pro with any configuration to be done at the router end, unless, because of the FOUR connections on the 8801, is there, however unlikely, anything that has to or can be configured at the Pre-pros end?

Unfortunately, the manuals don't give you much if any information as to how to deal with issues like this.
Posted By: dakkon Re: Getting internet to your receiver..? - 12/25/13 10:57 PM
I've got no idea....

The Marantz actually has a considerable amount of controls for networking. I can set a static IP within the Marantz (which i've tried), there is also DHCP as a networking option (which i've also tried... ) I should note that there is also a Diagnostic option; which confirms that the physical connection is good. ect.. It also reports if the unit has an internet connection... This test has always failed.

I should note, there is also a Maintenance option, which is suppose to be reserved for customer service, or a pro installer.

This situation is somewhat perplexing, like you Casey i thought it would be straightforward and super easy.. All of the other settings on this unit has been completely painless to configure.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Getting internet to your receiver..? - 12/26/13 12:37 AM
Do you have DNS set up on the receiver? If you've tried DHCP, I would expect that to come over with it, but if you're doing static, you'll need to set at least one DNS address.
There is a way to reset just the network card on the Marantz which is pretty much a Denon , check you manual. If your laptop is getting an internet connection then your Marantz should too. Denon 3310 and 3311 had a similar network card issue so it may be something related. My 3311 worked fine when I got it then quit working , turned out to be my router was the problem. I did a restored on the router then the denon worked again.

BTW its -30 to -40 here and I run my network cable on the outside of my house,been like that for 4 yrs now.
Posted By: dakkon Re: Getting internet to your receiver..? - 12/26/13 02:11 AM
Originally Posted By: Ken.C
Do you have DNS set up on the receiver? If you've tried DHCP, I would expect that to come over with it, but if you're doing static, you'll need to set at least one DNS address.

Ken, when I was putting a static address in, I was also entering 2 DNS addresses as well... I ggrabbed them from the express, when it was in DHCP mode...
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Getting internet to your receiver..? - 12/26/13 02:13 AM
Hmm. I'm guessing the issue is on the receiver side, in that case.
Posted By: casey01 Re: Getting internet to your receiver..? - 12/26/13 02:28 AM
I've got no idea....

The Marantz actually has a considerable amount of controls for networking. I can set a static IP within the Marantz (which i've tried), there is also DHCP as a networking option (which i've also tried... ) I should note that there is also a Diagnostic option; which confirms that the physical connection is good. ect.. It also reports if the unit has an internet connection... This test has always faile

I should note, there is also a Maintenance option, which is suppose to be reserved for customer service, or a pro installer.

This situation is somewhat perplexing, like you Casey i thought it would be straightforward and super easy.. All of the other settings on this unit has been completely painless to configure.

Hmm, very strange, with DHCP engaged, the connection between the Pre-Pro and the router, in my case and as I mentioned earlier my wireless bridge was automatic with no other configuration required. The moment I plugged in the cable within seconds it just automatically read the IP address and connected. I am assuming that once you were starting to have issues you did one or more reboots of the system to see if that made any difference and since you bought the 8801 has Marantz had any firmware updates? Also, night want to check with tech at Apple about the router as well.

Otherwise, at this stage, I guess a call to Marantz tech is your only option.
If you've tried DHCP, I would anticipate that to come over with it, but if you're doing fixed, you'll need to set at least one DNS deal with.
Posted By: Hansang Re: Getting internet to your receiver..? - 12/31/13 08:04 PM
Dakkon,
Let me make sure I got this straight. If you unplug the cable from the Marantz, your laptop will grab an IP? Are you *sure* that you're not confusing the IP from the wireless of the laptop? I would turn off the wireless in your laptop and try again.

But make sure you use the cable that's connected to the Marantz. Might as well as kill two birds with one stone.

If your laptop grabs and IP via the Ethernet cable (with wirelss turned off), then plug it back into the Marantz, reboot the AE/Marantz to clear out the ARP table, and see if you can ping the IP address that you assigned to the AVR from your computer.

Then we can take it from there. I think you already mentioned that you see a link light on your AVR, correct?
Posted By: dakkon Re: Getting internet to your receiver..? - 01/02/14 01:38 AM
Originally Posted By: Hansang
Dakkon,
Let me make sure I got this straight. If you unplug the cable from the Marantz, your laptop will grab an IP? Are you *sure* that you're not confusing the IP from the wireless of the laptop? I would turn off the wireless in your laptop and try again.

But make sure you use the cable that's connected to the Marantz. Might as well as kill two birds with one stone.

If your laptop grabs and IP via the Ethernet cable (with wirelss turned off), then plug it back into the Marantz, reboot the AE/Marantz to clear out the ARP table, and see if you can ping the IP address that you assigned to the AVR from your computer.

That is what I did; used the cat 5 cable from the airport express to the laptop, with wireless turned off (to ensure I was connected to the network via ethernet through the airport) just like the marantz would be.

I did not think to ping the static address I assigned the marantz at the time. I could try that.

The link light for the applicable port does light up on the marantz
Need more information on your system. I use an AE to get an Ethernet relationship to my equipment, eventually, but I'll need to know more about your installation before I may help.
Posted By: dakkon Re: Getting internet to your receiver..? - 01/25/14 08:50 PM
So, evidently at some point, the Marantz grabbed an ip address from the router and downloaded a firmware update.

For all of the fighting i did (about 5 hours of messing with this thing) it seems to have worked a bit slower than i was expecting..
So are you now saying everything is working as expected? Good to hear.
Posted By: dakkon Re: Getting internet to your receiver..? - 01/25/14 09:44 PM
i changed the airport express from join network, to bridge mode... even thought, that mode shouldn't work like this; per the instruction.. it seems that is what the correct setting would be... So much for following the instructions.
Before I ran cat5 , I used my squeezebox as a wireless bridge to feed a switch which gave my equipment network access. I just connected the squeeze to the wireless network then plugged into the Ethernet port in back. I haven't worked with any apple stuff so I cant comment on why bridged mode worked but the main point is that its working.
© Axiom Message Boards