Axiom Home Page
Posted By: warriorwolf69 May have a problem with my V1 VP150 - 01/03/14 02:08 AM
Hello Folks,

I have a first gen VP150, I have just graduated to HD audio with the Denon X4000. My problem is distorting vocals, and then it seems only specific ones, and only in HD audio.

I watched Zoro at high volumes (65) in DVD Dolby Digital and heard no distortion.

I watched Whitehouse Down in DTS HD and many voices were distorted volume at (60)

I watched GI Joe Retaliation at high volume (65) and the only voice that was distorted was Cobra Commanders. This was in Dolby True HD.

I tried bringing down the center via the Dialog emphasis menu option (-1.5) and still had Some vocals distort

Suggestion (besides the obvious of lowering the volume) would be welcome

tks
Posted By: CV Re: May have a problem with my V1 VP150 - 01/03/14 05:39 AM
Just to start with the basics, are your speaker levels calibrated either by the receiver's auto-setup or with an SPL meter? It's less common than before, but some people still calibrate by ear rather than with those tools. If you've calibrated, then that eliminates one possibility. Also, where is the crossover set in the receiver for the center channel? Hopefully it's set to small, not running full-range.

So you only notice voices distorting, not other sounds?

Also, can you describe the distortion? Someone else with more knowledge, like JohnK, will have a more complete response than me, but that should give them some more information to go off of.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: May have a problem with my V1 VP150 - 01/03/14 03:24 PM
Originally Posted By: warriorwolf69
Hello Folks,

I have a first gen VP150, I have just graduated to HD audio with the Denon X4000. My problem is distorting vocals, and then it seems only specific ones, and only in HD audio.

I watched Zoro at high volumes (65) in DVD Dolby Digital and heard no distortion.

I watched Whitehouse Down in DTS HD and many voices were distorted volume at (60)

I watched GI Joe Retaliation at high volume (65) and the only voice that was distorted was Cobra Commanders. This was in Dolby True HD.

I tried bringing down the center via the Dialog emphasis menu option (-1.5) and still had Some vocals distort

Suggestion (besides the obvious of lowering the volume) would be welcome

tks

I doubt that receiver would be hard clipping like that but I do wonder is if you ran auddysey and whether it set the center channel to LARGE. Perhaps you are overloading the midrange drivers in the VP150 when those dynamic scenes hit on those lossless tracks?
Thanks for the responces folks,

I did run Audessy I used four mic positions (I have two primary theater seats)
1-2 head hight in seat
3-4 head hight just in front of the seat

Audessy set the center as small and with a crossover of 100hz

Yes it seems to me to be only voices. The sound is like a vibration noise like the speaker is being pushed to hard.
Posted By: dakkon Re: May have a problem with my V1 VP150 - 01/03/14 06:59 PM
I use to play movies semi loud, around 90bd when I had a 150...

Do you have a app meter? If not, if you have a smart phone or tablet, there are apps that will measure the volume.

Without knowing the volume your listening at, it is hard to say (the numbers on the receiver don't give very much information unfortunately..)
would measureing during the movie while the distortion is happening with all the speakers going give an accurate measurement? If so, i will download the app this evening.
Posted By: dakkon Re: May have a problem with my V1 VP150 - 01/03/14 08:33 PM
Yes. A volume measurement is actually a pressure measurement. I would take 3 measurements.

One at your normal listening while everything is fine

One when your audibly hearing the distortion.

One with the volume turned down such that you don't hear the distortion.

That is the approach I would take.
I would get up close and see which driver is the offender. Alternatively disconnect them one at a time. My M2's had a strange noise when I first got them, it was the tinsel lead rubbing the back of the driver. If it was a paper based driver I would probly not heard it but with the aluminum driver it was obvious.

richard
I found the Reason for my distortion.....GRANDCHILDREN

[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/113450066@N05/11762626864/[/img] [img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/113450066@N05/11762460443/in/photostream/[/img] [img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/113450066@N05/11762460843/in/photostream/[/img]
That'll do it lol. Kids will be kids. That's like 40 bux from axiom and all will be well. Glad you figured it out.

Richard
© Axiom Message Boards