Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Jordan Help me choose an AVR - 03/25/15 11:33 PM
Greetings,

I'm getting to the end of my basement home theatre renovation and could use a little advice on AVRs. I've installed in-wall and in ceiling M3's, an in-wall VP100, and paired that with an SVS PB-2000 (12" / 500 watt rms) for a 5.1 set up. The room is roughly 14 feet by 15 feet with a small alcove at the back. The primary seating area will be along the back wall with a tv mounted on the opposite wall.

While I understand AVR basics I thought I would check with you fine folk to see if there are any stand out AVRs that I should be aware of. Looking to keep the cost to around $400 and would like to future proof as much as I can (4K, etc). I also need it to have an ARC and discrete cross-over adjustments but other than that, I'm pretty open (don't need a lot of streaming options since the system has a dedicated HTPC).

Many thanks in advance,

Jordan
Posted By: FireGuy Re: Help me choose an AVR - 03/25/15 11:59 PM
Jordan - Accessories4less is a great place for refirb gear. I've used them for a couple of Denon amps plus a Boston & Canton sub with good success. The refirb option gives you an opportunity for an upper level AVR at a mid level price and they have some decent choices to fit your criteria.

http://www.accessories4less.com/
Posted By: craigsub Re: Help me choose an AVR - 03/26/15 12:39 AM
Jordan - In addition to Fireguy's excellent suggestion to look at Accessories4less, One Call has a terrific deal on a Marantz 5009 ... It has Audyssey Silver (Which means XT processing, among other things), solid performing amps (measured at 68 WPC with 5 channels driven).

It has Bluetooth, airplay and pre outs for the 7 channels, and is about as future proof as you will find.

It's $570 delivered for a refurb unit, and considering this is the latest 2015 model, a soild deal:

http://onecall.com/marantz-sr5009-7-2-network-a-v-receiver-certified-refurbished
Posted By: MMM Re: Help me choose an AVR - 03/26/15 01:08 AM
Another option that you can get great deals on but it's sort of a waiting game.

Big box stores like Futureshop generally carry two years worth of inventory. So as new stuff comes out, the old stuff gets cleared out at a reasonable price.

I picked up the SC1227k last year for around $499. The next year model was selling for $1400.

Another source is http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/
Posted By: Jordan Re: Help me choose an AVR - 03/26/15 11:34 AM
Excellent suggestions guys. I'm assuming that the accessories for less route means a trip south of the border, correct?
Posted By: casey01 Re: Help me choose an AVR - 03/26/15 12:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Jordan
Excellent suggestions guys. I'm assuming that the accessories for less route means a trip south of the border, correct?

Well, since they are an online only reseller, you would require a U.S. address to which to ship, if you don't you could be out of luck. I bought a piece from them 2 or 3 years ago, however, in recent years, when you scan down the face page, you will notice that with with more and more of their electronics they will no longer ship outside of the lower 48 states. Also, given the dollar differential nowadays along with the added shipping and duty, probably not worth it and better to buy locally.
Posted By: AAAA Re: Help me choose an AVR - 03/26/15 12:21 PM
Hdcp 2.2 and atmos arent doable for $400 quite yet. I'd get something from Canuckaudiomart with that budget. I would stay clear of onkyo.
Posted By: Jordan Re: Help me choose an AVR - 03/29/15 09:17 PM
Had a bad experience with Onkyo or just don't feel that they offer good value for dollar?
Posted By: AAAA Re: Help me choose an AVR - 03/29/15 11:05 PM
I'll be honest, I really just dont like the brand for several reasons. The huge HDMI board issue warranty recall that happened, poor reliability as experienced by members here, and a terrible marketing campaign about a year ago with the slogan "make your friends jealous." I also dont like that now they have absorbed pioneer and its brands future path is unknown. But for a while pioneer has been a poorly supported brand according to my old dealer anyway. They both are quickly becoming a throwaway commodity brand. Sold alongside vaccums at big box stores. My opinion FWIW.

That said, they do offer a great feature set at good prices, and there are members here that have had great experiences with their upper tier models.
Posted By: CV Re: Help me choose an AVR - 03/29/15 11:32 PM
I stuck with Onkyo even after my previous Onkyo failed, mainly because of the feature set, and I knew I would be getting a new receiver in a couple of years, anyway, after the new surround formats and Ultra HD are worked out in the consumer test bed. I bought a previous-generation model, however, since the current generation seems to really makes you pay if you want the option of decent EQ. Not that I'm married to Audyssey, since I haven't even turned it on since getting the LFR1100s. I did need pre outs, however, and the model I ended up with seemed like the sweet spot.

In any case, original poster, I think you're going to be hard-pressed to do any future-proofing at $400. The timing simply isn't ideal right now. I'd just try to find something that performs well with established formats.
Posted By: Jordan Re: Help me choose an AVR - 03/30/15 01:05 AM
I finally got a chance to research some AVR specs this evening and I hear ya, no future proofing to be had for $400. My timing sems to be a bit off given the advent of 4K and HDCP 2.2. Then again, I'm not sure that I'll be buying a 4K tv anytime soon anyhow. I wish companies wouldn't make their 5.1 receivers so second tier to their 7.1, 9.1, etc models though.

Having said that, there's an Onkyo NR636 on for $530 locally (DHCP 2.2, reasonably powerful, etc). So, I'm torn between picking this up now while it's on sale or waiting things out a bit to see if anything else comes onto the market over the next month or two. Thoughts?

Also, is there a time of year when companies tend to release their new year's AVRs?

Thanks for helping me sort all this out,

Jordan
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Help me choose an AVR - 03/30/15 01:19 AM
Have a look at accessories4less.com. They typically have very good deals and excellent customer service. I've bought several receivers from them.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Help me choose an AVR - 03/30/15 03:20 PM
I never liked Onkyo, but love Pioneer. I didn't know they bought Pioneer. That's gotta be a bad deal.
Posted By: Jordan Re: Help me choose an AVR - 04/02/15 11:46 PM
Hey all,

So I ended up pulling the trigger on a Marantz SR5009. A little over my budget but not too bad. I'm less fussed about video than I am with audio and have no intention to go with 4k anytime in the foreseeable future, so, the lack of HDCP2.2 is less of an issue for me (not to mention that I've got everything wired in wall with hdmi1.4 cable).

Looking forward to trying it out and seeing how far AVRs have come. Last AVR I bought was an HK 8 years ago - which is still going strong.

Thanks again all,

Jordan
Posted By: FireGuy Re: Help me choose an AVR - 04/03/15 12:33 AM
I think you made a good choice. My brother got an upper end Marantz (Model close out thru Accessories4less) and loves it. I'll be traveling to New Jersey this Sat. and will hear it for the first time with a pair of M22's V3 and a pair of Hoyt Bedford Type 1's. Looking forward to the trip and the audio road test.
Posted By: brendo Re: Help me choose an AVR - 04/03/15 12:46 AM
Dear Jordan congrats, those receivers have great specs.
Have to been browsing Marantz this year.
You may have jumped the gun a little though, because now is actually when all the company's will be releasing all the new products.
It always seems about June they release something HOT AND FANTASTIC so as to get us hyped up for Christmas technologies.
Posted By: Jordan Re: Help me choose an AVR - 04/03/15 12:58 AM
I noticed that companies seem to release new models in and around June or so but to be honest, I'm not sure that I have the budget available for anything new and shiny, so the 5009 via accessoriesforless is what I could manage.

I was also reading a bit about hdmi 2.0 and realize that I mis-spoke (posted) regarding the cables. If I understand correctly, the 2.0 version essentially allows for 18gbps transmission over HDMI 1.4 10gbps cables. Do I have this right? If so, that's great news to me.
Posted By: brendo Re: Help me choose an AVR - 04/03/15 04:40 AM
I think so over on the home theater shack forum they seem to say that most current H.D.M.I. will be good enough already. So possibly no need for major upgrades. as most are already so fast.
Posted By: J. B. Re: Help me choose an AVR - 04/03/15 01:23 PM
Jordan, i got a Marantz SR5005 a couple of years ago, which i use as a preamp/decoder.

the sound is excellent and very detailed and i am very satisfied with this piece of equipment. you should not regret it.
Posted By: Jordan Re: Help me choose an AVR - 04/03/15 11:18 PM
Excellent. Seems everyone with a Marantz absolutely loves the sound. I'm looking forward to getting it hooked up in my new basement.

One more question - low frequency cut off settings, should I just set it at the bottom of the +/-3d range? I.e.:
In-wall / in-ceiling M3s: 70Hz
In-wall VP100: 95Hz

I'm thinking that the 95Hz setting seems high given that it's largely designed to anchor dialogue to the screen.

Thoughts?
Posted By: JohnK Re: Help me choose an AVR - 04/04/15 02:28 AM
Jordan, the crossover settings should probably be those which the Audyssey calibration step in your 5009 will set. This takes into account variations in bass extension caused by your particular room setup, rather than just relying on the general specs.

As far as dialogue goes though, there's very little except the deepest bass voice which extends below 95Hz.
Posted By: exlabdriver Re: Help me choose an AVR - 04/04/15 04:50 AM
Common wisdom says that it should be set no lower than what Audyssey 'hears' it.

My Denon AVR 'hears' both my M22s & VP160 at 40 Hz & I set them at 60 Hz.

TAM
Posted By: brendo Re: Help me choose an AVR - 04/04/15 07:09 PM
I have the same experience s Exlabdriver, Audessey with my Tascam it hears My M22,Vp160,M3's All at 40 to 45Hz. But THX recommends 80Hz, so I just go 80.
Posted By: MMM Re: Help me choose an AVR - 04/04/15 08:05 PM
I wonder with all the digital codec's out there.. for exmple, Dobly Digital 5.1. They have an actual LFE channel that is mixed into the actual sound track. That channel is dedicated to the SUB if you have one inside your system.

You then have your other 5 channels (or more for Bluray) that contains the sound that was originally mixed for those channel speakers. Now if the mix for the movie at hand has sounds going down below that crossover point for those 5 channels, then that sound is then forced to go to the sub.

But your speakers can very efficiently produce those sounds easily down to the 50hz, and most likely 45hz inside the +/- 3db zone that the rest of the upper frequencies are working to.

If the speakers can very efficiently produce those sounds why would you not? The only reason that I can think of is that your receiver (amp) is underpowered and the lower frequencies use more current that your unit might be staved for at the volume you are trying to get.

But on the flip side... I have an Energy sub, and they post that it goes down to 39Hz. But if you dig more, I think it's 39 @ - 9db, that is no better than what I am getting off my Axiom speakers anyways. So in truth, the sub is doing little more than my speakers are.

But the LFE channel will always go to the Sub and not to the front speakers, so setting the cross over higher is rather moot anyways.
Posted By: AAAA Re: Help me choose an AVR - 04/05/15 12:04 AM
There is a theory that crossing the speakers higher benefits the overall room response, as you can place the sub where bass frequencies behave as desired. Not as flexible with the other channels I guess.
© Axiom Message Boards