Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Jac looking for local owners. - 08/04/15 02:48 AM
Hi Everyone, new to this and looking for someone local to me that would let me audition there speakers. I am looking at the 80-500-180 HT system in 7.2.4. I am in the Langley area of Vancouver BC. Thx
Posted By: JohnK Re: looking for local owners. - 08/04/15 03:54 AM
Hi, Jac; welcome to Axiom. First, in the "Hearing Things" forum check the beginning of the Audition post for a list of owners in BC who've indicated a willingness to host an audition(some may no longer be active). You might try making contact by email or PM. Another possibility would be to contact Axiom directly to see if they could lend any assistance.
Posted By: Jac Re: looking for local owners. - 08/05/15 02:17 AM
Hi John, and thanks for the advice I will check. Jac.
Posted By: Jac Re: looking for local owners. - 08/05/15 06:18 PM
Hi Everyone, I have a bit of a dilemma, I am building a 7.2 system 80-500-180 or 350 not sure which yet and was originally looking at adding 4 Dolby Atmos ceiling speakers. I have since decided to change things up and go Auro 3D in my speaker placement. Auro uses up high fronts, L,R center and up high above the side surrounds to give that third layer of sound as well as one speaker directly over the sitting position (VOG).Here is where my dilemma comes in. Would you in the know recommend going with M22's for side and back surrounds and QS8's for above or the other way around? I am 50/50 on music/movies and like my 2 ch stereo as well as multi-channel music. My thought is that if I used the QS8's up high I might get additional effect by tilting because of the top firing speaker as well directing more sound to the listening area. Now my brain hurts....lol
Posted By: Jac Re: Decisions, decisions. - 08/05/15 06:50 PM
Hi Again , another thought has come to mind, if I were to switch to the M100.s from the M80's as part of the HT 80-500-180 pkg, would I still need the subs????? So many questions! lol. Have a good day everyone!!!
Posted By: BobKay Re: Decisions, decisions. - 08/05/15 07:08 PM
For music, I never use my ep-500, just the 100's. For HT, ya, you want the sub, or two.
Posted By: exlabdriver Re: Decisions, decisions. - 08/05/15 07:14 PM
I have a traditional 5.1 (.2?) setup & I use a pair of M22V4s (L&R) & a pair of EP-800s for my HT for both movies & music. Very impressive.

A couple of EP500s would certainly work for you as well.

TAM
Vancouver Island
Posted By: Jac Re: Decisions, decisions. - 08/06/15 02:57 PM
Thanks for the advice cheers!
Posted By: Jac Re: Decisions, decisions. - 08/06/15 02:58 PM
Thanks Tam! Would you know the difference between the M80HP and the M100's?
Posted By: exlabdriver Re: Decisions, decisions. - 08/06/15 04:54 PM
I went with Sats & Subs systems a couple of decades ago so I have no experience with Axiom floor standers. For me, there is no reason to use floor standers as the M22s are so stalwart for mids/highs & they blend seamlessly with the powerful EP800s.

On our BC Day long weekend, I got into the sauce a bit & fired up Eric Clapton - 'Live in Hyde Park' DVD on my HT system & tortured my wife & daughter with it til the wee hours, ha!. I hadn't previously heard it with the EP-800s in the mix. They added a whole new sense of smoothness & low end to this live concert that I hadn't heard before.

For Clapton fans, 'Live in Hyde Park', despite its age, is still the best IMO - same concert that I saw in Vancouver several months later...

TAM
Posted By: BobKay Re: Decisions, decisions. - 08/06/15 08:37 PM
Originally Posted By Jac
Thanks Tam! Would you know the difference between the M80HP and the M100's?

Yes, one causes your friends to make jokes that you live on Easter Island and the other doesn't. (It's 50% more woofer surface area, it's gotta go somewhere.)
Posted By: Jac Re: Decisions, decisions. - 08/07/15 02:44 AM
I agree! Live in Hyde park is fantastic. By the way you are allowed occasionally to let loose and enjoy the music.....lol I love watching the concert DVD's sooo many good ones.
M22's look like they could deliver the goods. Again not being familiar with all the different speakers in the Axiom family as far as sound and matching goes I am trying to put together the best match up.

Jac.
Posted By: brendo Re: Decisions, decisions. - 08/07/15 02:45 AM
According to these forums the diff. between the M80 and 100s is very minimal aside from bass. The M100 has more as it is Axioms Full range design. Have read that the 100 is also a bit deeper than the M80 HP.
I recently picked up M80s and love them.
Maybe you could stop by I'll P.M. you
Posted By: Jac Re: Decisions, decisions. - 08/07/15 02:46 AM
Maybe I should have rephrased the question....lol
Posted By: MMM Re: Decisions, decisions. - 08/09/15 12:44 PM
I wonder how many titles are out there that really take advantage of the newest Atmos/Aura3D?

I ask as it I think it makes more sense to build up to the standard in line with availability than jump in leading edge. The QS8's give a remarkable non directional sound for the surround speakers that will make the regular 5.1 and older dolby surround movies sound great.

I understand the idea of putting in a height speaker as it gives another vector for direction of sound to get to you that your hearing can perceive. Now does that need to be a directional on non directional source? I don't know.

In building a room, I put in the wires for what I will eventually get to, just don't have the money yet to implement to the finished standard. I have some older Energy Take speakers that are not being used that I will give a try and see how they work. I am sure that we all have those spare speakers laying around that never got around to throwing out (selling) that could stand in with a push.

I would suggest that you put your money into getting the best sound out of the established 5.1 .. or is that 5.2. Those are the core speakers for movies and the rest add gravy to the sound meal you are getting.
Posted By: MMM Re: Decisions, decisions. - 08/09/15 01:38 PM
saw and article on CNet that you might want to read too

http://www.cnet.com/news/you-already-have-great-speakers-do-you-really-need-a-subwoofer/
© Axiom Message Boards