Axiom Home Page
Posted By: dakkon universal remote -need a new one- - 02/16/16 01:16 PM
I've been using MX-350's for years... ever since 05... last night i tried to reprogram one of them and it appears that it isn't learning new codes (even though it says it is). i really like the mx-350 and would buy a replacement in a second. however, it appears thst is no longer a current product.. i really like the ease of programing and some of the advanced features like their punch through volume control; also the fact that i could get 6 months out of cheap batteries from this remote.

does anyone have something they could reccomend me looking at? i did a quick google search, and looked on amazon... but, wasn't really happy with what i found.

Thanks.
Posted By: michael_d Re: universal remote -need a new one- - 02/16/16 05:43 PM
It's expensive, but the MX1200 is by far the best remote I've bought. I've gone from the 350, to an 850, to the 980, and a Harmony One. The 1200 is a rock star. If you have the software already, you can get the remote for a lot less than a dealer, on Amazon or Ebay. If you don't already have the software, you're stuck getting one from a dealer at close to double the costs.
Posted By: JBG Re: universal remote -need a new one- - 02/19/16 10:34 PM
this is a little old but just love my harmony 1100

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGnxvwTur98
Posted By: MMM Re: universal remote -need a new one- - 02/20/16 05:48 PM
I really loved my Philips Pronto remote. I would consider getting another one but with the colour screen this time. They were rather expensive, but as it was all a graphic touch screen you could really customize them for just about anything. No buttons that didn't do anything, and you could define all the macro's in the world that you'd like.
Posted By: MMM Re: universal remote -need a new one- - 02/20/16 05:56 PM
I don't know if the newer TSU models allow for full graphic editing or if they went like the newer units that you have a library of pre-defined imaged and followed a grid pattern.

What made the first pronto's so great is that you could define the size and shape of the button. So you could make your menu really logical to pick things and make small buttons for some items and really big buttons for others
Posted By: Ray3 Re: universal remote -need a new one- - 02/20/16 10:30 PM
The trusty MX-900 is a nice sweet spot for capability, performance and value.

And Mike at surfremotecontrol.com usually has the best prices (plus, he will send you a link to the programming software).
Posted By: Hansang Re: universal remote -need a new one- - 02/20/16 10:57 PM
+1 on the MX900. Love it! I've never been a fan of touch screens because (in my experience) they tend to go bad sooner than hard buttons.
Posted By: mapatton Re: universal remote -need a new one- - 02/23/16 01:39 PM
I loved my Pronto. Had a couple hard buttons go bad after years of service. Got another one used recently and still need to fully program it. Downside is it requires XP. I have been told you can use a higher Win 7 with an XP virtual machine but I haven't been able to get that working.
Posted By: MMM Re: universal remote -need a new one- - 02/23/16 11:08 PM
sadly the pronto i have uses a serial connector. none of my computers have one left so I am left to decide if i can't stand using 2-3 remotes or just live without a programmable one
Posted By: Cohesion Re: universal remote -need a new one- - 02/24/16 04:15 PM
You can get a USB to Serial adaptor at places like TigerDirect.
Posted By: MMM Re: universal remote -need a new one- - 03/19/16 07:30 PM
One month and how things have changed.

I am expecting a new Pre-Pro on Monday and will have to decide if I am going to stick with my current collection of 3 um no 4 oops make that 5 remotes to do most everything, or just give in and get a universal or something better to control everything.

The TV remote is pretty good in I have it hooked up currently to my receiver HDMI through ARC so the TV remote can control setting up most of the settings for TV input vs Blu-Ray or my Kodi media player. it supports volume up/down/mute. The TV remote can sort of control the Blu-Ray player but is missing some buttons.

If I want to use my media player, then I need my small Zbox remote to control Kodi or use my tablet.

If I want to listen to music, then I must use my receiver remote and my tablet.

Want to adjust the light settings, then I have to find my mini lighting remote or get off my ass and go to the dimmer switch.

I've thought about the Logitech Home Hub option in there is a physical remote but it does have a tablet app that would be usable. I have a spare Andriod Nexus 7 that would work quite well as a remote control. I don't know if however the lighting will be supported. that may be RF

The MX900 that I think was suggested just looks too big/bulky for my tastes. Has anyone used the Logitech hub remotes?
© Axiom Message Boards