Axiom Home Page
Posted By: ereed axiom designing atmos enabled speaker modules? - 08/01/16 02:57 PM
I'm aware axiom has in-ceiling speakers but are they planning on designing atmos modules that can sit on top of the towers like some companies are doing? This will be useful for those that do not want to drill holes or install in ceiling. So anyone know if they are planning on doing that?
I think that this question came up a couple of months ago, and the "speculative" answer was "no."

Besides "Atmos Enabled" speakers (the ones that reflect off of the ceiling) are a huge compromise in Atmos performance if the room has any sort of "non-ideal" configuration... Ceiling too high, or not high enough, angled ceilings, obstructions between the modules and the ceiling, seating placement relative to the speakers becomes more critical to be aligned, etc....

With actual overhead speakers, you can pretty much account for all of those "problems" and get really great Atmos sound.

Yes, I'm aware in-ceiling speakers are the best way to go. For some people who don't want to cut into their ceilings or those that rent houses and not want to make holes would prefer modules. I don't see why axiom won't. I would buy the modules just to make the installation easier and I have flat 9 feet ceilings which is perfect for my room. Yes I can buy other brands and put it on top of my towers but it wouldn't be the same if axiom had modules that fit on top exactly for looks. If they can have 7 subwoofers (which I think is too many) in the lineup they can afford to add modules in my opinion.

But I'm not even ready to go atmos yet. I would have to upgrade my pre-pro and everything else.
Originally Posted By ereed
I don't see why axiom won't.

{{SNIPPED}}

But I'm not even ready to go atmos yet. I would have to upgrade my pre-pro and everything else.

Maybe you answered your own question. My guess is that the market hasn't been asking them for it.
Yeah, I wasn't trying to "educate" anyone erred, although I sense a bit of feeling "insulted" or something by you. I was just trying to point out the speculative points that came up before, and pointing out that due to the compromising nature of the speaker modules makes it a tiny niche market for a relatively small manufacturer....
Nickbuol, I do realize you wasn't trying to educated me at all. I apologize in advance if you felt insulted and it did seem like I was frustrated re-reading my post again. That wasn't my intention. I just thought it would be a good addition to axiom's lineup offering atmos modules for those that may be interested, just like there is small market for wireless subs and speakers. I wasn't aware this topic was already talked about, I must have missed it somewhere.
Originally Posted By MarkSJohnson
Originally Posted By ereed
I don't see why axiom won't.

{{SNIPPED}}

Maybe you answered your own question. My guess is that the market hasn't been asking them for it.

Very true! Maybe it will change once atmos goes mainstream and everyone wants it.
In my opinion, it would be a great step backwards if they do. If you take the side of pro/con, for the amount that you would gain from selling that sort of speaker, would it offset the damage in brand placement. You must realise that Axiom is positioning themselves as a quality speaker company. take a look at the amount of effort gone into the AxiomAir. They could have released a portable speaker for far less and much quicker but would it sound nearly as good. Ian is an audiophile. he won't settle for sub standard and takes pride in the sound level that he can get for each of the price points. A reflecting speaker is a bodge no matter what way you look at it. It might be the only option that some have, but that doesn't mean that is the route Axiom should take.
I don't mean to sound negative, but I'm not so confident that Atmos will go "mainstream, with everyone wanting it". Personally, I know I don't have the desire.

By and large, most people are happy with a soundbar or HTIB. A pretty small percentage make the investment of time and money to get involved in good sound or theaters in general. And, among those, not all of them are interested in Atmos.
Originally Posted By MatManBobbleHead
A reflecting speaker is a bodge no matter what way you look at it.

Every speaker Axiom makes is a reflecting speaker.
Originally Posted By Mojo

Every speaker Axiom makes is a reflecting speaker.

Other than the LFR, I think that you are pretty much direct firing. it's not like you point your M80 speakers towards the back wall in hopes that the reflected sound comes back to you in a manner that gives you great imaging, sound stage and clarity. All speakers have points of reflection with the walls, ceiling and surfaces around them, but it's not the primary path for the sound. Or at least that was not what I was lead to belive.
The first three sentences above are all wrong. Truly smile.

The direct sound contributes a very small amount to the speaker's transfer function compared to the reflected sound. Like..maybe 20% at the most. The early and late reflections is where it's at.

Do you think the Axiom nerds take measurements all around (some of) their speakers because they have OCD? smile
In that case you should treat the room using acoustic panels for first point reflections and behind the wall so the sound doesn't bounce back to you. I have that problem with my bare walls and it happens with every speaker I've owned. Before investing in more speakers I'm doing treatments next.
You want some sound to bounce back. Trust me. You don't want to be in an anechoic chamber when you're listening to music. Serenity_Now fixed me up real good and my 10 X 10 X 8, 2.1-channel room now sounds better than my 4800 cubic foot theatre room (at least for music). At a fraction of the cost to boot smile.
I took the statement from Mojo as a funny fact. Axiom sells speakers. Rooms reflect more sound than they absorb.

Mix the two and you get speakers that reflect sound. smile
Originally Posted By Mojo
You want some sound to bounce back. Trust me. You don't want to be in an anechoic chamber when you're listening to music. Serenity_Now fixed me up real good and my 10 X 10 X 8, 2.1-channel room now sounds better than my 4800 cubic foot theatre room (at least for music). At a fraction of the cost to boot smile.

Treating the room for stereo music only vs home theater are totally different from what everyone says. You really do not want the sound from front speakers to bounce back to you from back and side walls in home theater setup. This is why they recommend panels at ear height while seated so you don't hear the reflected sound toward you, but its fine if it goes above your head since it won't be distracting. My room is bright sounding with bare walls and hardwood flooring on concrete slab. Gonna treat them to remove echos at least. Just about every room will benefit from treatments someway or another, just some rooms require much more than others.

Wait....isn't that how Ian listen to his music....in an anechoic chamber???
Also, stereo rooms also tend to "start" with diffusion and home theaters tend to start with absorption for first (generally "most critical") improvement elements to room acoustics.

Not always, but that generalized statement is just from what I've seen, heard, read, or experienced.

Of course, a really good room has absorption, diffusion, and reflection, all at critical points that are mapped out.
© Axiom Message Boards