Axiom Home Page
Posted By: MAUL I Need A New Subwoofer - 11/12/16 12:36 PM
My set up is the Axiom epic midi 125 but I'm using Infinity IL40 for the fronts. The subwoofer decided to stop working so I'm looking for a new one. I have my eye on the outlaw audio M8 https://www.outlawaudio.com/products/m8.html.
I'm open to other suggestions though. I'm in a 12x12 room but it is my main for movies, games & music. I'm really leaning toward a down firing sub this time as I may not place it near my other speakers.
You think this outlaw 8" can do the job or should I go with a 10"?
Posted By: Mojo Re: I Need A New Subwoofer - 11/12/16 01:49 PM
Since you'll be using the sub for movies and games, my recommendation is find a sub that will operate down to at least 20Hz.
Posted By: MAUL Re: I Need A New Subwoofer - 11/12/16 02:12 PM
What about this one?
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk4.html

I also found this https://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Techno...customerReviews
Posted By: casey01 Re: I Need A New Subwoofer - 11/12/16 07:56 PM
For movies and of course, your budget, I would recommend the larger HSU sub. It should be noted, however, that the Outlaw line-up of subs are essentially HSU clones.
Posted By: Mojo Re: I Need A New Subwoofer - 11/12/16 08:34 PM
I do not believe Definitive's specifications. I have no doubt you will be very happy with the HSU.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: I Need A New Subwoofer - 11/12/16 09:31 PM
I would not get a down firing subwoofer if I had a choice.
Posted By: Newf Re: I Need A New Subwoofer - 11/14/16 06:41 PM
I have an older VTF Mk3. Great sub, but the amps suck and mine died within 5 years and it might get used every other weekend for a movie. I had to buy a replacement and it cost me a fortune, and the sub never sounded the same again. I went SVS subs the last time around, their vinyl finish is garbage with it bubbling and peeling within months on both subs, and the sub is good but not a good as the HSU. I have a EP500 on the way now, granted it's a V3, we'll see how it compares.

Down firing subs are a pain in the butt on carpet.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: I Need A New Subwoofer - 11/15/16 07:40 AM
newf, down firing subs give up something in sound quality as well. I have an Epik Legend, twin 12" opposed drivers, nice cabinet, amp died and cannot be replaced. I have a plant on it now.

I have an SVS 20-39. Looks like a mini naval nuclear reactor. Had it for over 10 years. It is bullet proof. Sounds awesome. Good for music and it will shake the house.
Posted By: Newf Re: I Need A New Subwoofer - 11/23/16 05:17 PM
Not so sure about that, my HSU blows away my other subs. Not even close. It's also the oldest one. I have yet to teak the new EP500 I just got, so far my opinion is mixed. I'm going to try different spots in the room.

Posted By: Nachosgrande Re: I Need A New Subwoofer - 12/21/16 02:05 PM
any udpate on EP500 vs HSU?
Posted By: brendo Re: I Need A New Subwoofer - 12/22/16 05:43 AM
I went from a SVSPB1000 to a EP500v4. Very happy with my results.
© Axiom Message Boards