Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Nachosgrande VP180 added to stable; power options? - 11/25/16 07:01 PM
I took advantage of the Black Friday deal here and upgraded from my VP150 to this beast. Question is, can I run this speaker with my current Receiver, Yamaha RX-V659, it's pretty powerful but outdated. I also only see 6 ohm and 8 ohm setting on it. Running M22's QS8's currently. Will I need to add a new amp (3 ch amp - L/R/C)to the receiver to run the 180? Any suggestions? Or possibly a new receiver with sufficient 4 ohm capabilities?
Posted By: Mojo Re: VP180 added to stable; power options? - 11/26/16 01:30 AM
Set it to 8 Ohms and you're good to go! Setting it lower will cut the available power to the speaker by 50% or more.
Will do, thanks!
I wound up purchasing a 300 watt stereo amp from monoprice that I can bridge to mono to feed the center channel. Not bad for under $250. Anyone have any experience with this one? It's not their new monolith amp; its a no brand amp.
Posted By: Mojo Re: VP180 added to stable; power options? - 11/26/16 08:05 PM
You'll use less than 10% of that power.
Perhaps you could fill me in a bit. The speaker is rated from 10-400. Am I better off using the stereo amp for the M22 as to take strain off the receiver amp?
Posted By: MMM Re: VP180 added to stable; power options? - 11/26/16 08:30 PM
That Yamaha receiver can drive the VP180 without any problem. The part about it having only 8ohm and 6ohm setting it just a null setting inside the system. it really doens't make any difference one way or the other.

The power supply inside the unit can run a 4ohm speaker. Just not at maximum volume for a constant time. So don't turn the volume all the way up.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: VP180 added to stable; power options? - 11/27/16 04:12 PM
I use a Pioneer SC 1523 K 9.2 AVR with the excellent VP180 center channel. I use the AVR to drive all the speakers except for the front L/R (Thiel CS 3.6s). The Pioneer would not have any trouble driving the Thiels but I have a beautiful Integra M504 with huge power meters which looks great in the rack.

Unless I'm going to watch a move, I don't take the trouble to turn on the Integra amp and just listen to the center and 6 surround channels. Sounds great!
Posted By: Mojo Re: VP180 added to stable; power options? - 11/27/16 06:41 PM
Originally Posted By MatManBobbleHead
The part about it having only 8ohm and 6ohm setting it just a null setting inside the system. it really doens't make any difference one way or the other.

I very much doubt that. The lower impedance setting likely steps down the rail voltage to the amplifier which reduces the available output power.
Posted By: Mojo Re: VP180 added to stable; power options? - 11/27/16 07:23 PM
Originally Posted By Nachosgrande
Perhaps you could fill me in a bit. The speaker is rated from 10-400.

A 400W speaker doesn't suck 400W out of your amp unless you want it to. 400W is how much power you can sink into your speaker before it starts to misbehave.

400W likely represents the start of the excursion limit of the driver. You could probably inject up to 700W (of undistorted music content) into it before you reach complete dynamic compression. Any higher than that and you are probably going to severely encroach on the thermal limits of the speaker.

Before you reach a couple of hundred watts, you'll start damaging your hearing. And if your amp can't provide undistorted power, you might even end up damaging the speaker because clipping will thermally load the speaker.

When you are listening to music, I doubt your amp is peaking out at more than 20 Watts.
Posted By: MMM Re: VP180 added to stable; power options? - 11/27/16 09:27 PM
If you take a look on the board schematic there isn't anything that setting can do to adjust anything.
Posted By: Mojo Re: VP180 added to stable; power options? - 11/28/16 12:59 AM
The manual is quite clear. See below. Note there isn't a dedicated speaker impedance selector switch. It's a soft switch that controls an input pin on the microprocessor.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/197545/Yamaha-Rx-V659.html?page=34
Thanks for the comments, will update when I get my hands on this behemoth....
© Axiom Message Boards