Axiom Home Page
Posted By: J_amie New mains + center or more subwoofer? - 01/03/17 07:04 AM
Hi guys, so I am curently running Philharmonitors from Philharmonic audio as my left and rights, no center channel at the moment, and an Svs sb2000 sub and axiom qs8 surrounds running off of a Denon Avr-x4000. I have been wanting to add a center chanel but recent home renos have added some significant volume to the space they are in (vaulted celings, some walls went away) and i am wonderimg if i should add a Philharmonic center to the mix and a second svs sub or go axiom m80 left and right with a vp180 center for some more punch? Any thoughts on my predicament?
Posted By: AAAA Re: New mains + center or more subwoofer? - 01/03/17 02:16 PM
Sounds like you need more drivers to load the new space better. Towers or sub or both. Sounds like a system overhaul. Choices ahead. smile

Since it isn't a dedicated space I would vote towers and center. Bump your monitors to surround duty and get a pair of Phil 3s and a center. Those look impressive.

Otherwise your M80s/100s and 160 sound like a good option.

Depends where you think you are out of gas now.
Op , are you running the BMR Standmount Philharmonitors. My guess is you are going to need a little more oomph given that you say you have added significant volume to the room. Since Axiom has a great trial period I would suggest you try before you buy though I doubt you will be sending them back. Serenity now also makes a good case if you want to stay with Philharmonics. Every bit of feedback I have seen on this site for the VP180 is more than positive. I am sure as the day wears on more people will chime in so be patient and do a little searching on the forum as well.
Richard
Posted By: J_amie Re: New mains + center or more subwoofer? - 01/04/17 01:49 AM
Yeah i'm running the bookshelf monitors,they sound wonderful, but i'm thinking i need some towers and a center to up the ante... Phil 3 form factor doesn't work for me. nice speaker though.
Axioms may not be the deal they were when I bought but I would buy again though I would opt for B Stock or used since I like to veneer real wood onto my speakers . Honestly you wont be disappointed . I get the upgrade bug every now and then and I wonder if I could do better but I would have to spend a hella lot more for any perceived improvement . If its in your budget I say go for it I am glad I did.
Posted By: J_amie Re: New mains + center or more subwoofer? - 01/04/17 03:11 AM
The other speakers i have been considering is the Aperion Verus Grand ii towers and center. I reeeeally like the look of them... Wonder how they stack up against the M80, Vp180 combo?
I keep abreast of this forum pretty good and have never had anyone compare the M80's to Aperion's. I have heard good things about them and visually they seem to be targeting the same price group and are similar appearance wise though the real wood veneer is a nice gimme. I guess you can search the WWW and see what reviews are out there but it really comes down to your room which has the biggest impact on how they will sound. Your room is kind of unique so what someone else hears will not be really applicable to what you hear. If you get the Aperions drop back and tell us how you like them.
Posted By: aarons Re: New mains + center or more subwoofer? - 01/05/17 02:39 AM
I rececntly upgraded my center from a VP150 on wall to a VP160. I didnt think I would need the VP180 and boy I was right. The VP160 has clear crisp sound that seems to direct sound projection to every seat in the room. the room is a 17x18 with 8 seating positions. It was a HUGE upgrade for me and I am quite satisfied with it. They have a VP160 in the wood tone in B stock right now for $518. Not to disuade you from going all out with the VP180 but if there is budget in mind I think you would be happy saving a few bucks. Especially considering you have no center channel now. It should make a significant difference for you.
Posted By: J_amie Re: New mains + center or more subwoofer? - 01/05/17 02:42 AM
The other speakers i have been considering is the Aperion Verus Grand ii towers and center. I reeeeally like the look of them... Wonder how they stack up against the M80, Vp180 combo?
Posted By: aarons Re: New mains + center or more subwoofer? - 01/05/17 03:11 AM
Before I purchased my Axioms I looked at the Aperion. I also liked the look of them and based on the research they seemed like a very simlar quality and price point. The biggest reason I chose the axioms was due to the customer support and the forum. Axiom has really good service and policies that will help you make a purchase correction if for some reason you are not happy. My main purchase was 7 or 8 years ago and I have made several upgrades since then using their trade up program. Once I started with Axiom I never looked back so I really cant speak to the quality of Aperion now or their customer support. In short your talking to a big Axiom supporter so I'm quite biased. I have the VP160, M22 fronts, 4QS8's and 2 HTD directional in ceiling presence speakers. The HTD choice was because they are mounting in the frame at 18 degree angle down and toward the front seats. Its perfect for a presence speaker that needs to be in ceiling due to low ceiling height (7'10"). The only speaker in my system that regret is not Axiom is my Sub. The only reason for this is that I was getting a bit of friction from the wife with the "big ass box" in the middle of the floor. I said ok I will put it behind the screen then it turned into a discussion about how that "big ass box" was going to vibrate the house. So I found an in wall that I was happy with. Sunfire HSRIW8 has its own external 520 watt amp that drives 2 8" woofers. Actually deliveres a pretty good punch and since its housed in its own vibration dampening cabinet it was an easier sell to "the boss". Of course it still vibrates the house but its already installed so.....oh well. HA!

I say go with the Axiom, all the way around if possible. Your Denon should drive an Axiom system very nicely.
Posted By: J_amie Re: New mains + center or more subwoofer? - 01/05/17 08:03 PM
I did some more research and the Aperions are out the cost ramped up quick with our weak canadian dollar so I'm back to either the Philharmonic center and a second sub (there's an svs sb13 ultra on cam right now) or M80/Vp180, I'm thinking about trialing the axiom first see how i like them...
Yeah our crappy dollar makes buying south of the border a no go for me too. I really want the new oppo 4k player but its goin to be a grand for something that's 500 down there. The Axioms don't have as nice of a finish as the aperions but they do sound damn good to my ears.
Posted By: AAAA Re: New mains + center or more subwoofer? - 01/07/17 11:33 PM
Holy the phil 3s seem like a great speaker for the $. Too bad they wont fit your space. Maybe they'll fit mine..... Looks like a legit 'thats it' buy.
© Axiom Message Boards