Axiom Home Page
Posted By: JimCarr Finally did it!! - 10/14/03 11:55 PM
I just ordered the Epic 80 system, minus the sub (I have an SVS) and plus an extra QS8 for 6.1. I ordered in the custom Buffalo Oak color, for WAF, matched our furniture perfectly. Can't wait to get them and set them up!

I'll take pics for all to enjoy

Just wanted to share my happiness... hahaha.

Jim

Posted By: JimCarr Re: Finally did it!! - 10/15/03 12:11 AM
I'll reply to myself here with my first question, my room is 20x18, cathedral ceiling. I ordered the M80's, should I have gotten the M60's? Is there such thing as too much speaker for a room? Just reading around.. most people are going with M60? I also got the QS8's and VP150.

I already have an SVS sub.

thanks in advance for the help!

Jim

Posted By: gem41573 Re: Finally did it!! - 10/15/03 12:37 AM
Congrats. You should be most happy.

As to your question, I honestly don't know the answer, as I use M22's in a 12' X 21' room. Some here who own the M60's will know better, but you might want to say how close you'll be sitting to the front speakers. In other words, the M80's will need some distance from the listening position to really be at their best. If you sit too close, I believe the real impact of the M80's will be lost (and soundstage will be affected) and you could be better off with the M60's.
Posted By: JimCarr Re: Finally did it!! - 10/15/03 12:57 AM
Thanks Gem! I will be about 11 - 13 feet away from the speakers. I am powering them with a Denon 5800, but I'm thinking of buying an Adcom 5503 to power the fronts and center (200x3). I am addicted to power! I think this is overkill... but will it adversely affect the sound quality?

Looking for advice.. If i'm making a few mistakes here.

thanks guys!

Jim

BTW - carpeted room, a couple windows on the side wall, other wall is open to the stairs (cathedral ceiling great room).

Posted By: spiffnme Re: Finally did it!! - 10/15/03 02:45 AM
Sounds pretty good to me. The M60's probably would be enough for that room, but it sounds like it's also big enough for the M80's. I agree that you should try to keep your distance from the M80's. If you're going to be 11-13' away...make it 13'.

Enjoy!

Posted By: real80sman Re: Finally did it!! - 10/15/03 02:50 AM
Jim, I've got the 80's. My room is 16x18 with an 8ft ceiling. Carpet / drywall / ceiling tile. I wouldn't want them in a room smaller than this. Unfortunately the sofa is only 7ft away. No comparison to when I am 12ft back at the computer chair. It has now become my favorite listening position.

Gem is right - you'll be fine if you get some distance.

BTW - I am using a 15yr old Luxman integrated amp rated at 70w/ch. I'm very happy overall, but I would squeal like a little girl if I had the 170watts from that 5800 pumping through them!
Posted By: DJ_Stunna Re: Finally did it!! - 10/15/03 04:24 AM
In reply to:

Thanks Gem! I will be about 11 - 13 feet away from the speakers. I am powering them with a Denon 5800, but I'm thinking of buying an Adcom 5503 to power the fronts and center (200x3). I am addicted to power! I think this is overkill... but will it adversely affect the sound quality?

Looking for advice.. If i'm making a few mistakes here.

thanks guys!

Jim

BTW - carpeted room, a couple windows on the side wall, other wall is open to the stairs (cathedral ceiling great room).

Heh I have a Denon AVR-5800 in my "other" rig - I dont find it too bad personally ;p really good amplification and the headphone amp is actually as good as many seperate hp amps - the dsp modes however... Well - it is a great 2 ch listening amp as well - you'll be happy. BTW - welcome to the forums.

-Will
Posted By: DJ_Stunna Re: Finally did it!! - 10/15/03 04:33 AM
In reply to:

BTW - I am using a 15yr old Luxman integrated amp rated at 70w/ch. I'm very happy overall, but I would squeal like a little girl if I had the 170watts from that 5800 pumping through them!

actually real80sman for 4 ohm loads its 200 W/ch isntead of 170 is for 8, and he has 4 ohm speakers...
Posted By: sushi Re: Finally did it!! - 10/15/03 04:52 PM
Jim, the Adcom power amp certainly won't adversely affect the sound quality. But you already have a flagship receiver with a darn good power amp section, too. Judging from my own experience with my Pioneer 45TX receiver (rated 110W/ch @ 8ohms) and my Adcom GFA-555II power amp (200Wx2 @ 8ohms), you will be hard pressed to hear a sonic benefit of the Adcom amp, especially given the very high sensitivity/efficiency of the M80s. I myself cannot hear a convincing difference between the Pioneer receiver's own power amp and the Adcom -- with my Hales front speakers (mere 89dB/W/m efficiency) in over 5000 cu. ft. room.

If you still want to add the Adcom, I would definitely go with a pre-owned item that you can find at AudiogoN.com and other places. You will save tons of $$$ without losing anything (well, perhaps a couple of scratches on the case top) -- the Adcom amps are so super-reliable, you have nothing to worry about buying pre-owned.

Anyway, congratulations and welcome to the Axiomville!!!
Posted By: JimCarr Re: Finally did it!! - 10/16/03 01:49 AM
thanks guys for all the advice! Man, I really can't wait to get these bad boys! thanks for the advice on the amp Sushi, my wife loves you! (for saving her money) LOL. I'm actually going use that money to buy a better amp for my SVS. any suggestions there on a 1 channel good amp for my SVS? Not looking to spend more than 200 or so.

thanks guys!

Jim

Posted By: JimCarr Re: Finally did it!! - 10/17/03 01:26 AM
Taking 1 channel amp suggestions
Posted By: JohnK Re: Finally did it!! - 10/17/03 01:38 AM
Jim, what SVS do you have and what amp is driving it now? It really doesn't take that much. Possibly we can give you further help in controlling your lust for power.
Posted By: JimCarr Re: Finally did it!! - 10/17/03 02:01 AM
Hey John, Yea... not sure why I have this insatiable appetite for power, but I do!

I have an OLD Kenwood M1, I think it's a 100x2 amp. I only use one side obviously. I'm in a townhouse now so I have never really pushed it. But I think in my new house, I will bring this amp to it's knees. I just have upgraditis, humor me here guys!!!! LOL

thanks!

Jim

Posted By: fmowry Re: Finally did it!! - 10/17/03 02:50 PM
http://www.stryke.com/amplifiers.html

For $170 you'll get a 250 watt into 8 ohm amp. It's a plate amp so you'll need to build a small box for it. That's what I did with my DIY sub.

Frank
Posted By: JimCarr Re: Finally did it!! - 10/19/03 12:08 AM
Nice, thanks! How do you build a box? I would hate to have this nice system with some ghetto built box Anyone have any idea on how to build a nice one? I'm not terribley handy.

thanks!

Jim
Posted By: hbellew Re: Finally did it!! - 10/19/03 01:43 AM
Congrats on your order of the Epic 80.

I will throw in my question here since its seems pretty close to the current topic.

I am considering the Epic80 with 2 additional QS8s to bring it up to 7.1 total. I am also considering the Denon AVR-5803.

Would the Epic80 and the AVR-5803 be a good match ? at 170w x 7 I don't think the 4ohms x2 and the 6ohms x5 would be a problem but I don't know. I do like to listen to movies at high volumes, at most Dolby Reference level.

I am currently running:
Mits WS-65611 (TV)
Hughes EIRD-85 (HD DirecTV)
Sony DVP-NS755P (DVD Player)
Denon AVR-2700 (Receiver)
Energy XL10S (Sub)
JBL J2060 (Front R/Center/Front L)
JBL J2050 (Rear R/Rear L)

Any help and suggestions/comments are welcome.

Thanks all

Hank
Posted By: hbellew Re: Finally did it!! - 10/19/03 01:51 AM
Oh yeah my living room is giant, 36' x 20'. It also has vaulted ceilings and is a pretty open floor plan so it is very cavernous.

So I think the Epic80 and AVR-5803 would have plent of space to flex some muscle.

Hank
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Finally did it!! - 10/19/03 01:59 AM
That sounds like a good package for your room. Though I highly recommend getting a Hsu VTF-3 for a room that size. Heck...that's a BIG room, you may enjoy two subs.
Posted By: hbellew Re: Finally did it!! - 10/19/03 02:09 AM
Thanks Spiffy. You prefer the VTF-3 to the EP350 ? The only other sub besides mine I have listened to is a Sunfire Signature True Sub, which is ungodly powerful but its also $2000 which is more then I can spend.

2 subs ? *Drool* how would you connect 2 subs at once ? and isnt there something about putting 2 subs out of phase with each other ?

Thanks

Hank
Posted By: JimCarr Re: Finally did it!! - 10/19/03 01:59 PM
hank, don't cheat yourself and NOT look into the SVS cylinder subs. Read the reviews... they are incredible. And provide more bass than most at 4 times the price. I love mine... and might add a second!

Posted By: MisoSoup Re: Finally did it!! - 10/25/03 06:44 PM
For a room that size, you should definitely consider the SVS PB2+. Big rooms need BIG subs .
© Axiom Message Boards