Axiom Home Page
Posted By: spiffnme LG OLED65C7P vs Sony XBR X940E - 08/03/17 03:00 AM
I'm finally finishing my "man cave" home theater and am torn between 65 inches of OLED inky black glory or 75 inches and compromising on pq a bit.

Majority of watching will be film-based (24fps) movies on blu-ray and UHD Blu-ray and Netflix streaming.

Seating will be about 10' away.

Thoughts?

#FirstWorldProblem
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: LG OLED65C7P vs Sony XBR X940E - 08/03/17 04:04 AM
The Sony is highly regarded and you can mitigate some of that loss by using a backlight (6500k) improves percieved black level. I have a 70 inch LG and i still wish it was bigger, really want a PJ.I found that once i had adjust the motion control settings down near minimum i was pretty happy with what i was seeing. Is the room light controlled and how far off center will the viewing be. My set has a VA panel and off center viewing is not that great.IPS panels have better side viewing but weaker blacks. Tough decision but my money is with the Sony.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: LG OLED65C7P vs Sony XBR X940E - 08/03/17 04:40 AM
Light control isn't an issue and viewing angle is nearly dead center.
Posted By: TDIPablo Re: LG OLED65C7P vs Sony XBR X940E - 08/03/17 01:03 PM
The old axiom (pun intended) of bigger is better (all other things being equal) is actually in your favour since live action sports does not seem to be a priority.

Your THX recommended screen size maintaining 40 degree angles from a centered 10' seating is 100 inches (10x12x.84). Therefore, go as big as you can afford.

That said... both brands use slightly different technologies that, unfortunately, each person reacts differently depending on how their brain is wired, especially when it comes to motion (see my post in the other TV recommendation thread).

Ideally, you should try to audition each TV side by side (and not at Best Buy on the show room floor!) but not every retailer will be able to let you view under same conditions (same BD player, same settings, etc). Also, as they are large and a pain to de-install, hard to audition in your home...

Honestly though, from 10', and no light control issues, you won't be unhappy with picture quality from any of the top brands at this price point. The only thing you will regret, believe me, is that you didn't get bigger. I have never met someone who wished they had gone smaller.

For me, the decision was easy as I had a set wall space restriction to play with. Once I factored in the space required for the M22OW's, that left me with 60" of space, perfect for a 65" LG smile
Posted By: spiffnme Re: LG OLED65C7P vs Sony XBR X940E - 08/03/17 05:23 PM
of course there's the XBR-100Z9D wink
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: LG OLED65C7P vs Sony XBR X940E - 08/03/17 08:47 PM
Hello Spiff

I picked up a Sony XBR 940d 75" and am very happy with it. My friend just picked up an LG 65" OLED, for about $3,100, at Best Buy Magnolia, and he loves his. I haven't seen his yet, but he said 'run and get you one!'

Two holes in my head and that's where all my money goes.

Got a Conrad Johnson M60SE with KT120s. Wow!
Waiting for delivery of a Marantz 7703 11.2 processor and Klipsch subwoofer (amazon bundled the 2 for the price of the processor.)

Where is that FedEx guy!?!

I don't think you can go wrong with either the Sony or the OLED. OLED screens are pretty phenomenal. I expect it may have a better picture than the Sony, but the Sony is fantastic.

A nation cannot prosper long when it loots the prosperous.-
2x6spds

Posted By: spiffnme Re: LG OLED65C7P vs Sony XBR X940E - 08/03/17 09:13 PM
OK, spent the afternoon looking at tvs.

Thankfully the guy at Magnolia was very accommodating and let me look at several tvs with different settings and source inputs. I've narrowed my list down to the LG C7, Sony 940E and Sony Z9D.

Much like music listening demos, I've found that it's CRUCIAL that you're looking at images that you know. I was watching a couple of 4K blu-rays (mostly nature docs) and while there were subtle differences in all of the sets, I couldn't really say which was "correct".

That is until we popped in THE DARK KNIGHT. A film I worked on and know intimately. I KNOW what that movie is supposed to look like! It made my choice so easy. The LG C7 was spot on. Both the 940E and Z9D were overly saturated (all sets were in "cinema" mode, not vivid or standard). Even the Sony OLED was still a bit too saturated. I've found that over saturated color is the "thing" that bugs me most. I know others are bothered more by motion blur and other things, but as the vast majority of my viewing is film based blu-ray, the color needs to be spot on for me.

I've found the C7 for as little as $2700. It KILLS me that the 77" G7 is $12K. I hate compromising!
Posted By: spiffnme Re: LG OLED65C7P vs Sony XBR X940E - 08/03/17 11:04 PM
Hrrmmm...I taped together some paper the same size as a 65" OLED and put it up on my wall. Butters (nor I) am "wowed".

Posted By: 2x6spds Re: LG OLED65C7P vs Sony XBR X940E - 08/04/17 02:42 AM
That looks small. Maybe if you sit closer ...
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: LG OLED65C7P vs Sony XBR X940E - 08/04/17 02:45 AM
75 with M80s and VP160

Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: LG OLED65C7P vs Sony XBR X940E - 08/04/17 04:21 AM
When you watched the dark knight were you in a light controlled room. Also we all have different ideas of what looks good/right though you obviously have some advance knowledge and preferences. Bigger always wins . Im watching a 70 and pining for 80, take one home and see how you like it you can always return it BB is the bomb for this. I use a spears and munsil disc and also the disney disc and its amazing how much that helps and yeah i know its no colorimeter with a calibator but it still better than cinema imho.
Posted By: brwsaw Re: LG OLED65C7P vs Sony XBR X940E - 08/04/17 02:47 PM
Pj
Posted By: Nick B Re: LG OLED65C7P vs Sony XBR X940E - 08/08/17 04:40 PM
I'd look closely at Rtngs review.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900e

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/p-series-xled-2017

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/m-series-xled-2017

They really have quite a bit of detail. It should help you figure out what if best depending on what content you view, like if you are interested in gaming, sports, movies, etc.

I'm looking for something in this size this year as well, also from about that viewing distance. By my main use for the TV would be more casual viewing when I want to be able to have the lights on. I'm strongly leaning towards the 75" Vizio p-series. For watching movies I want to get a drop screen and projector with about a 120" screen.

If I were only getting a tv I might be tempted by the Vizio M-series. The performance is close to the Vizio p-series, but you can get an 80" screen at a reasonable price. Performance is important, but size is a big factor too.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: LG OLED65C7P vs Sony XBR X940E - 08/19/17 10:28 PM
It killed me, but I finally made a decision. The 65" LG C7 OLED. That PQ for $2700 was too good to pass up. I know I'll always be wishing it gotten the 75 or 77 inch sets, but the huge added cost just didn't make sense.

I figure I'll hopefully have the 77" OLED at the office to enjoy someday. LOL
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: LG OLED65C7P vs Sony XBR X940E - 08/20/17 01:40 AM
Good choice,I saw that set at BB when we went to vancouver last week to see Metallica. Nice picture no doubt about it,even my kid was super impressed but the price was impressive as well. Perhaps one day before i cant afford it they will make them less cost prohibitive. Enjoy your new toy.
Posted By: CV Re: LG OLED65C7P vs Sony XBR X940E - 08/21/17 01:19 AM
I can't wait to buy new home theater gear, with a new display being a priority, but this isn't looking like the year. I'm totally jealous.
© Axiom Message Boards