Axiom Home Page
Posted By: sonicfox Axiom soundbar perhaps? - 09/20/17 04:16 PM
Will Axiom ever make a soundbar? I'm moving soon, and unfortunately, I'm going to have to go to a soundbar due to room limitations. It's too bad since I love my current Axiom system. So, I'm looking at the Sony ST5000, but dang, it's expensive! Anyhow, I'll bet Axiom would be capable of designing a great soundbar system, but I'm not sure if it's even something they'll ever wish to pursue.
Posted By: sonicfox Re: Axiom soundbar perhaps? - 09/20/17 04:19 PM
Wow! It's been so long since I've posted here, I just noticed my equipment list. Everything has changed except for the speakers! I guess I should update it. laugh
Posted By: Adrian Re: Axiom soundbar perhaps? - 09/20/17 04:21 PM
Mary!!!
Posted By: BBIBH Re: Axiom soundbar perhaps? - 09/20/17 07:21 PM
Hey, look everyone, Mary is back!!
Posted By: Ian Re: Axiom soundbar perhaps? - 09/20/17 08:19 PM
Hi Mary,

Great to hear from you again! Have you considered doing a 2-channel system for you new place? You might find the performance is better than a sound bar.
Posted By: craigsub Re: Axiom soundbar perhaps? - 09/20/17 10:24 PM
Mary - Ian has a great idea. A pair of M-22's in horizontal position just below the screen (or above it) will, with a good sub, deliver a much better sounding system than any soundbar.

A close friend of mine invited me to his home this weekend to watch a game and also tell him why his system sounds so mediocre. He has a soundbar. When he heard a pair of M3's at my place in stereo with a 65 inch TV, he was astonished at how immersive the sound was, and now good the fidelity was.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom soundbar perhaps? - 09/21/17 03:44 AM
Nice to see you posting here again. When do we get to see the room and some measurements so we can make more detailed non-soundbar plans for you?
Posted By: sonicfox Re: Axiom soundbar perhaps? - 09/21/17 03:14 PM
The attached picture is not my living area, but it's VERY similar. The accent wall separates two areas, and it is open on each side. In my case, the TV will be hung up top and there will be an electric fireplace on the bottom. As you can see, there is no room to add speakers to the sides of the wall unless you block the walkways. I've come to the conclusion that a soundbar is my only option besides the TV speakers. It really sucks, but there's nowhere else in the room to put a 65" TV.

Posted By: bridgman Re: Axiom soundbar perhaps? - 09/22/17 01:39 AM
Will the fireplace be wide enough to preclude having speakers to the left and right (without being broiled on the first chilly night) ?

I imagine the answer is "yes" but thought I should check.

Other option would be ceiling mount speakers,14068271503005 woofers up & tweeters down, hanging over each side of the walkway and angled down slightly. I have had great success over the years with bookshelf speakers mounted high and upside-down.

Then again, you already have M60s so it might be interesting to try hanging *them* down from the ceiling, mounted horizontally with tweeters out and woofers in. They would be kinda visually disruptive ("WTF are those ??) but they are probably already old friends and that might help a bit smile

I'm not trying to discourage any potential soundbar progress though.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom soundbar perhaps? - 09/22/17 03:05 AM
Will there be any room at all to either side of the TV, or is pretty much TV, then air? And how much room will there be above/below the TV?
Posted By: JohnK Re: Axiom soundbar perhaps? - 09/22/17 04:23 AM
Mary, welcome back! As John Bridgman suggests, unless the fireplace is going to take up nearly the entire width of that wall area, there should be enough room at the side for your speakers.

Although the separation might be narrower than ideal, the M60s or others in that position should certainly be better than a sound bar. Of course, they wouldn't be toed-in, but rather face straight ahead or maybe even experiment with some toe-out to get more spread and reflection from the side walls.
Posted By: brwsaw Re: Axiom soundbar perhaps? - 09/22/17 05:57 AM
I hate to step on any toes and have never personally heard this bar I do find it interesting.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/yar...ref=creator_nav

I don't have a use for at the moment but it might be just what you're looking for.
Posted By: BBIBH Re: Axiom soundbar perhaps? - 09/22/17 12:29 PM
Mary, what is of importance to you, aesthetics or sound?

Many of the options presented above focus on sound, but would be horrible to look at.

I think we lose site of that when we build our systems.

What about orienting the room with the TV on the wall at the left side of the picture?
Posted By: bridgman Re: Axiom soundbar perhaps? - 09/22/17 02:03 PM
Hey, how about a VP180 with left & right drivers wired to separate binding posts through separate crossovers ?

The Godzilla of soundbars.
Posted By: Jeff_in_the_D Re: Axiom soundbar perhaps? - 09/22/17 04:20 PM
Sounds like a winner, 1 VP180 is equivalent to a pair of M5s, yes? Get the HP version. That would be one heck of a sound bar.
Posted By: sonicfox Re: Axiom soundbar perhaps? - 09/22/17 04:32 PM
Athough the picture is not my room, it's almost identical. You can't put speakers to the sides of the wall because they will block the entries to the other room. The TV will take up most of the width of the upper wall and the fireplace will take up most of the bottom. I think a soundbar is my only option. However, Axiom's in-wall speakers may work on that wall too. I'd have to do some measurements.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Axiom soundbar perhaps? - 09/22/17 11:06 PM
Can the in-ceiling M3's be installed in a wall? Those are probably the smallest footprint you can get.
I also have on-w M2s and they are pretty good. Will you have a subwoofer?
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom soundbar perhaps? - 09/22/17 11:56 PM
Originally Posted By sonicfox
However, Axiom's in-wall speakers may work on that wall too. I'd have to do some measurements.

I was going to ask if you're able to put holes in the wall.

And even if a soundbar isn't ideal for sound quality, if it ends up being your best option in your space, I say go for it. Definitely try to find one with a subwoofer output, though, so you can get real low-end to go with your new smaller speakers.

I hope you have SOMEWHERE in your new place to put the M60s? It would be a shame to not be able to utilize them.
Posted By: AAAA Re: Axiom soundbar perhaps? - 09/23/17 08:34 AM
I would go for the HT-ST5000 in that space. Unless you can remote locate your peripheral gear it will look pretty cluttered if you go with a traditional setup. Good luck! smile
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Axiom soundbar perhaps? - 09/24/17 03:35 AM
As much as i would agree with attempting to use M22s laid flat instead, you also have to consider the cables and necessity for an AVR to run all this...
A soundbar in this instance might make sense.
Still, where are you going to put all the set top boxes or cables for the tv itself which would require at least ethernet, satellite/cable, power bars....?

Maybe choose a slightly smaller fireplace??
Think of it as 'cute' rather than tiny Sonic!
smile
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Axiom soundbar perhaps? - 09/24/17 02:16 PM
Don't forget the line of computer speakers if you need smaller size without AVRs (comes in tiny M1, M2 and M3s) with small sub too.
Posted By: sonicfox Re: Axiom soundbar perhaps? - 09/24/17 07:18 PM
Originally Posted By chesseroo

Still, where are you going to put all the set top boxes or cables for the tv itself which would require at least ethernet, satellite/cable, power bars....

I "cut the cord" a long time ago, and use only a Roku and the apps on the TV. I will eventually add the blu-ray player back in.

All the suggestions given here are what I WISH I could do for the best sound possible. However, I think the soundbar with a wireless sub is the best I can do given my space. With the popularity of soundbars nowadays, it would be cool to see Axiom make one. I'll bet they could design something really awesome.

I would like to note that the Axiom system will be in a dedicated home theater in the basement as soon as it gets remodeled. It might be awhile though.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom soundbar perhaps? - 09/25/17 11:44 PM
No matter what, moving beyond the TV's speakers is going to be a meaningful improvement. I'm glad you'll eventually be able to use your bigger system. In the meantime, make sure you come back with pics of your setup when it's up and running.
Posted By: Nachosgrande Re: Axiom soundbar perhaps? - 09/26/17 08:44 PM
I'd consider moving the on wall fireplace to the left wall, that would open up some room for speakers and audio equip, etc....
Posted By: Rock_Head Re: Axiom soundbar perhaps? - 09/27/17 03:52 AM
Just to throw my $0.02 in, my father needed a new TV so we ended up getting a Samsung 55" 4K and a Polk Audio Soundbar with wireless subwoofer. Initially I was sceptical about the sound however upon setting up the system I was pleasantly surprised how good it sounds even though the room is large (12' x 20'). I am going to add the same soundbar to my 65" Panasonic plasma in the games room for my son's Xbox system.
Posted By: sonicfox Re: Axiom soundbar perhaps? - 09/27/17 10:55 PM
Can you share the model? I've decided against the Sony ST5000. I just can't justify $1,500 on a soundbar. I don't even think one can realistically reproduce 5.1 let alone Atmos. I've decided I'm going with a 3.1 soundbar. The reviews I've been reading on soundbars is overwhelming. What's interesting is the most expensive ones don't get any better reviews than the cheaper ones.
Posted By: Rock_Head Re: Axiom soundbar perhaps? - 09/29/17 02:54 AM
Polk Audio Surroundbar With Bluetooth And Wireless Subwoofer (IHT5000) $599.00 Cdn.
Posted By: sonicfox Re: Axiom soundbar perhaps? - 10/02/17 07:40 PM
I think I'll order this one...the soundbar for the rich. wink Seriously, who is this for? At that price, it can't be for the average consumer.

Creative X-Fi Sonic Carrier
Posted By: Adrian Re: Axiom soundbar perhaps? - 10/02/17 09:45 PM
Mary, have you looked at Kef's soundbars? they look pretty sleek and appear to not need much space heightwise. Usually Kef speakers get half decent reviews, for the most part.
Posted By: brendo Re: Axiom soundbar perhaps? - 10/04/17 09:04 PM
Wow that's crazy.
Not sure how that can compare to actual placements and room lay outs with speakers of traditional/new techs.
Maybe it's like those reflective up firing atmos. speakers?
Posted By: sonicfox Re: Axiom soundbar perhaps? - 07/06/21 07:31 PM
Wow! It's been over three years since I asked about a possible soundbar from Axiom, and now they came out with one! How long has it been out, and who's heard it?
Posted By: Mojo Re: Axiom soundbar perhaps? - 07/06/21 08:05 PM
Mary, that came out the day after you asked about it.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Axiom soundbar perhaps? - 07/10/21 03:19 AM
Originally Posted by sonicfox
Wow! It's been over three years since I asked about a possible soundbar from Axiom, and now they came out with one! How long has it been out, and who's heard it?
A good question and i don't really remember.
It is hard to find in their product pages.
© Axiom Message Boards