Axiom Home Page
Posted By: MMM Active LFR? WTF: did I miss something? - 11/26/17 01:56 PM
Quote:
Will the fully active LFRs sound better than the fully active Ts? No one can know unless they try it. What I do know however is that the fully active LFRs will at least get you very close to the active Ts for less money and less space with perhaps more convenience. And you will have the option to upgrade in the future. Ian is very generous.

Cut from another thread. I gather this is something new that is coming. Is it a redesign of the speaker box and everything, or just an upgrade in the DSP electronics that feeds the speakers? Owning a set of LFR's, I am just trying to wrap my head around if this is a technology that can be ported upgrade from the V4 that I have, or if it will be a whole new V5 class of speaker coming out.

Anyone with the knew, can you chime in or are you bound by NDA.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Active LFR? WTF: did I miss something? - 11/26/17 02:16 PM
I had too much sarsaparilla yesterday and let more than I should slip out. The smilax ornata was too strong for me. I apologize profusely to Ian for letting company secrets spill out.

Matt, your LFRs, as good as they might have been, will very soon be old tech. The new ones will each come with on-board 1500W amps, fully active x-overs and wireless. You think you have good sound now? Ahahahaha! NOT! The new ones will blow yours away with a completely re-tuned and uncompromised family of curves. The resulting resolution, soundstage and transient response will be uncanny.

Darn it; I did it again. Sorry again, Ian.

Fortunate for you Ian has a very generous trade-in program which leaves no one stranded. This little company in the middle of effin nowhere is doing things other audio companies only have wet dreams about. Statues should be erected in Ian's and Andrew's honor!
I have a question on how this would be driven; if the speakers come with a built in 1500 watt amplifier and external crossover, how does one feed the speaker? Do you send a line level signal from the preamp? If so, does this negate the need for a power amplifier?
Posted By: Mojo Re: Active LFR? WTF: did I miss something? - 11/26/17 02:46 PM
That's right, Slim. No need for an external amp. The digital x-over and amp are built into the speaker. The signal is sent via Axiom Air from a small base station connected to your pre amp.

You'll also be able to buy the existing LFRs with the passive x-over.

Maybe you'll even be able to specify the amp power you want built-in?
Posted By: Mojo Re: Active LFR? WTF: did I miss something? - 11/26/17 02:49 PM
That's why Slim I said in my earlier post that these will likely come close to the active Ts, if not better, for less money and more convenience.

BTW, you'll likely have the choice to go fully active or partially active but why compromise on the family of curves when you don't have to?
Posted By: MMM Re: Active LFR? WTF: did I miss something? - 11/26/17 03:06 PM
After spending the amount that I have, unless I get a really great deal on a trade in, then it's not likely I will ever take advantage of this new mode. I have learnt that sometimes it pays to stop looking for what could be better and spend the time to enjoy what you have right now.
Mat: My sentiments exactly - no more 'upgrading' for me nor chasing that last couple of percent of performance.

I'm fully satisfied & really like the 4 Axiom systems that I have now throughout my house ...

TAM
Posted By: Mojo Re: Active LFR? WTF: did I miss something? - 11/26/17 11:19 PM
With fully active speakers, the entire game changes. It's not just a few % improvement - it's an entirely new reality. We should all enjoy what we have but we should also remember there is no worse evil than the indifference of good men.
Posted By: AAAA Re: Active LFR? WTF: did I miss something? - 11/26/17 11:47 PM
Will they have a hard wired cat6 option?
Posted By: Mojo Re: Active LFR? WTF: did I miss something? - 11/26/17 11:55 PM
I think that's a terrific idea.
For the record, I have the passive Model T's, not the next level up which is the external crossover or the next higher up level which is the active crossover, which is not powered from what I understand. If I have it right (and if not please point it out to me) the fully active Bryston T's are not powered; they just have all three sections of the speaker frequency ranges split out so that mono amps can feed each. Honestly, I never looked into it very deeply as I don't really feel inclined to be spending tens of thousands of dollars to set this type of system up. And I have been told by some people who I do know that spend for this upgrade that its better, yes better, but not leaps and bounds better. The best bang for the buck is the passive Model T, using very high end power amplification and of course the proper use of multiple subs.

I cannot see how it can sound much better than what I have to be honest and if it's 5% better, I am not going to spend the money to get it. I am please with 95% ! Plus after two Jefferson's Bourbons, I don't care....
Posted By: Mojo Re: Active LFR? WTF: did I miss something? - 11/27/17 12:17 AM
The fully active Ts are indeed not self-powered.

So with that bourbon, you've chosen the blue pill? smile
Ha, who needs pills, we have Brystons!
Posted By: Mojo Re: Active LFR? WTF: did I miss something? - 11/27/17 12:22 AM
Ahhh...but not active Brystons. That bourbon will keep you firmly rooted in your own reality. smile
Active, passive, inactive, it's all just perfect with Jefferson's smile And of course Timo Maas
© Axiom Message Boards