Axiom Home Page
Posted By: bman84 Power Conditioners - 12/07/18 01:39 PM
Any thoughts on Power Conditioners? Do they make any noticiable difference to sound quality? Gear list:

-Vizio P-Series Quantum 65"
-Denon AVR-X4500H Receiver
-Panasonic DP-UB820 4K UHD Blu-ray player

Ordered for 7.1.4 setup:
2 M5HPv4 In-Wall
1 VP180v4
4 M3v4 In-Wall
4 M3v4 In-Ceiling
1 EP600v4
1 ADA1000-3
Posted By: BBIBH Re: Power Conditioners - 12/07/18 02:02 PM
You have entered into one of the areas within audio/video that is very contentious, which includes; cables impacting sound, interconnects affecting sound, specific power cables/plugs affecting sound and several others.

There will be opinions on both sides (yes/no) so be prepared!
Most of the comments in the past have been about the stability and protection of the power available to equipment.

I will be honest and say that I have never experienced any improvement in audio/video quality while testing power conditioners.
Posted By: bman84 Re: Power Conditioners - 12/07/18 02:10 PM
Thanks Mike. I have a Siemens FS140 whole home surge protector at the electrical panel for protection, so not worried about my gear getting fried. I also plan to run a dedicated 20amp electrical line for my receiver and amp.
Posted By: TDIPablo Re: Power Conditioners - 12/07/18 03:17 PM
The ONLY reason I use one is I've had two components mysteriously blow capacitors. Since the introduction of a "robust" surge protector/line conditioner power bar, I've had no issues from that outlet. It could also be the new replacement components were of better quality. As for sound quality, my ears have detected zero change related to the power bar.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Power Conditioners - 12/07/18 03:46 PM
Unless you understand what you are trying to remedy, don't do it.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Power Conditioners - 12/07/18 04:04 PM
I just read you're using the Siemens surge protector. No doubt that gives you peace of mind but be aware it is unable to stop all conducted electromagnetic disturbances. There are many different kinds besides surges and they include fast transients, bursts, slower oscillatory waves, voltage dips, short interruptions, voltage variations and steady-state low frequency (<150KHz) disturbances. I've also noticed Siemens doesn't describe the surge waveform and test methods (although I am sure that data is available if you ask). If you believe you are having "power quality" issues at your place, it may be worth talking with your utility to see what they might recommend and why. I had issues at my place a decade ago and after taking some measurements with equipment I borrowed from my work, I strongly suspected my pole-top transformer. I passed all my data to my utility and sure enough they replaced the transformer and all my problems disappeared.
Posted By: BBIBH Re: Power Conditioners - 12/07/18 06:14 PM
Originally Posted By bman84
Thanks Mike. I have a Siemens FS140 whole home surge protector at the electrical panel for protection, so not worried about my gear getting fried. I also plan to run a dedicated 20amp electrical line for my receiver and amp.

My pleasure!

Dedicated circuits help in certain situations, but we are talking about basic requirements and you are looking for better sound/video impact, which I think a few people have already replied.
Posted By: brendo Re: Power Conditioners - 12/07/18 06:23 PM
The 20amp. would be great to avoid grounding issues. Highly recommended most places.

Though the main cause of ground B.S. is typically the coax from whatever cable company. They blame electrical wiring and the building most times {Older buildings}.
Posted By: brendo Re: Power Conditioners - 12/07/18 06:27 PM
Adding a conditioner on top of another may strip to much out of your power as well. Possibly to much cleaning or limiting.
Posted By: bman84 Re: Power Conditioners - 12/07/18 11:56 PM
Originally Posted By Mojo
I just read you're using the Siemens surge protector. No doubt that gives you peace of mind but be aware it is unable to stop all conducted electromagnetic disturbances. There are many different kinds besides surges and they include fast transients, bursts, slower oscillatory waves, voltage dips, short interruptions, voltage variations and steady-state low frequency (<150KHz) disturbances. I've also noticed Siemens doesn't describe the surge waveform and test methods (although I am sure that data is available if you ask). If you believe you are having "power quality" issues at your place, it may be worth talking with your utility to see what they might recommend and why. I had issues at my place a decade ago and after taking some measurements with equipment I borrowed from my work, I strongly suspected my pole-top transformer. I passed all my data to my utility and sure enough they replaced the transformer and all my problems disappeared.

Found the engineer! No 'power quality' issues that I'm aware of here, but I wanted good surge protection for peace of mind, and the whole-home thing was only $250 on Amazon.ca. Stopping a surge at the panel is a bonus too.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Power Conditioners - 12/08/18 01:03 AM
I use 2 Equi=Core EP300 balanced power conditioners in my main 2 channel system. No hums. Sound quality is crazy excellent. Don't know to what extent if any the EP300s play in this wonderful audio system. But they will stay where they are!
© Axiom Message Boards