Axiom Home Page
Posted By: hhiggins Speaker Placement - 04/30/19 03:30 PM
Hi,
My first batch of Axiom speakers should be arriving tomorrow! Can’t wait to try them out although my room is not finished so acoustics will definitely not be ideal. The room will also pose other acoustical challenges, but will make the best of what I have. I have read this post and it was helpful https://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubbthreads.php/topics/431128/1

Speakers – 5.1.4
------------------
LCRs (3) - M5HPv4 In-wall
Rears (2) - M2v4 In-wall
Atmos (4) - M3v4 In-ceiling

Room
-------------
My basement is an open room that is not a dedicated theater room. It is a large living room that is separated into two smaller spaces. One side of the room will be for Audio/Video and the other will be a games area. I will have a projection screen that is acoustically transparent. My initial thoughts were to put the LCRs behind the projection screen for a clean look, but also to have the audio come from the viewing position.
Total Room – 25W x 25L x 7.5H
AV Portion – 12W x 25L x 7.5H

Question
------------
My projection screen is 100” and I’m thinking that it will not provide enough separation for all three speakers. I did have this concern during construction, so I have run the cables so that I could locate the L/R speakers on the side of the screen and the C would still be behind the screen. I did ask Axiom to match the screen grills to the colour of my wall just in case.

What do you experts think about the L/R placement? Behind screen or beside screen?

room picture
Posted By: Mojo Re: Speaker Placement - 04/30/19 04:05 PM
How far away will you be sitting from the screen? Good call on the M5HPs!
Posted By: hhiggins Re: Speaker Placement - 04/30/19 04:18 PM
Haven't decided on the MLP yet, but it very flexible. We don't have furniture yet smile I would guess anywhere from 10'-15'
Posted By: pheare Re: Speaker Placement - 04/30/19 04:37 PM
15 feet! I currently sit about 7 feet from my 92inch screen.

Though moving down to a 65” oled. Might have to move my seats to 4 feet away. Ahahahahaha.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Speaker Placement - 04/30/19 04:43 PM
Movies, surround music, 2-channel music or all of these?
Posted By: hhiggins Re: Speaker Placement - 04/30/19 05:01 PM
all!
Posted By: bman84 Re: Speaker Placement - 04/30/19 06:09 PM
~10 feet from the screen would be THX reference position for movies. At 13 feet, the average person would not be able to distinguish 4K from 1080P.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/size-to-distance-relationship

I'd do L/R beside the screen, and C behind.

What's your wall colour? Will Axiom do custom colour-matched fabric grills for the M5HP?
Posted By: hhiggins Re: Speaker Placement - 04/30/19 07:17 PM
Thanks bman84. I will see what the projector looks like at 10'. Yes Axiom matched my wall colour to the grills of the M5HPs. I wanted it done as I suspected I would have to mount the L/R beside the screen. The colour is a tan/sand. It is a Sherwin-Williams Harmony Egg Shell. If you need I can get the details.
Posted By: bman84 Re: Speaker Placement - 04/30/19 07:33 PM
Originally Posted By hhiggins
Thanks bman84. I will see what the projector looks like at 10'. Yes Axiom matched my wall colour to the grills of the M5HPs. I wanted it done as I suspected I would have to mount the L/R beside the screen. The colour is a tan/sand. It is a Sherwin-Williams Harmony Egg Shell. If you need I can get the details.

Is the tan/sand a stock grill fabric that they have? Or did they custom match it to your paint?
Posted By: hhiggins Re: Speaker Placement - 04/30/19 07:46 PM
Axiom did a custom match for my paint. I sent a picture of the lid of the paint can that had all the numbers they needed. If you go to the website and pretend to buy something, you will see the fields available to also enter the custom paint information.
Posted By: bman84 Re: Speaker Placement - 04/30/19 07:54 PM
Oh sweet! I might ask them to do the same, since there's no ETA on paintable metal grills for the M5.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Speaker Placement - 04/30/19 09:05 PM
It would be ideal if you could do some experimentation with the location of your MLP and the front left and right.

You could do as bman says and place the M5s to the outside of your screen but that will only leave you with about 5" from the vertical center of the M5 to each side wall. That will reduce lateral reflections that give a greater sense of depth and width to the presentation. On the other hand, it will allow you to sit further away with the acoustical optimum likely being about 11 or 12 feet away.

If you place the M5s behind the screen, 8 feet apart, that will leave about 2.5 feet to each side wall. Soundstage depth and width will increase but now you also have to sit about 8 or 9 feet away.

Regardless of which you choose, it is going to sound awesome!
Posted By: hhiggins Re: Speaker Placement - 05/01/19 12:43 PM
Thanks Mojo. Will definitely have to experiment!
Posted By: bman84 Re: Speaker Placement - 05/06/19 07:52 PM
Axiom did a custom match for my paint. I sent a picture of the lid of the paint can that had all the numbers they needed. If you go to the website and pretend to buy something, you will see the fields available to also enter the custom paint information.

The colour-match fields aren't for the grill fabric, sadly. Debbie confirmed that there are multiple fabric options to choose from, but no option for custom fabric grille colours. I think what the site is asking for is the colour you'd like the frames to be (plastic edge that isn't covered by the grille).
Posted By: pheare Re: Speaker Placement - 05/08/19 01:01 AM
Originally Posted By bman84

The colour-match fields aren't for the grill fabric, sadly. Debbie confirmed that there are multiple fabric options to choose from, but no option for custom fabric grille colours. I think what the site is asking for is the colour you'd like the frames to be (plastic edge that isn't covered by the grille).

I suspect you are right. At least it looks like there is not charge for color match on in-walls. $150 per speaker would be pricey for just the grill frame...
Posted By: Debbie Re: Speaker Placement - 05/08/19 05:38 PM
Hi Guys. We can't colour match grilles right now because we don't have a paintable grille for the M5HP In-Walls yet. We are working on that and hopefully we will have one soon. We can match the flange on your speakers but if I'm no mistaken the new grilles are going to cover the speaker entirely.
© Axiom Message Boards