2 ADA1500 penta amps
Integra Research BAT RDA7 7 channel amp
Rotel amp for the ELAC Atmos speakers
pair of QS8s
pair of Mission 77ds surround speakers
Axiom EP600 and a Big HSU something or other sub
VP160
OPPO UDP205 finally back from OPPO. Does not play well with the Sony XBR75 940d

Played a Haifetz SACD, incredible sound until audio dropped out.

The Sony allows the OPPO to play red book CDs.

Played the soundtrack from the Accountant for a client. The drums hit so hard he literally jumped out of his seat.

The sound quality of the LFR1100s Actives is incredible. Most excellent work Ian.

Thank you for the music!!!
Posted By: craigsub Re: LFR1100 System Is Magnificent! - 01/19/20 11:03 PM
GREAT review! Straight to the point, well done!
Posted By: BBIBH Re: LFR1100 System Is Magnificent! - 01/20/20 03:53 PM
Originally Posted By craigsub
GREAT review! Straight to the point, well done!

Phil, I agree with Craig, without the hyperbole that has become rampant on this board.

Knowing your audio experience, glad to see you are liking them!
Posted By: bridgman Re: LFR1100 System Is Magnificent! - 01/20/20 05:32 PM
Originally Posted By BBIBH
Phil, I agree with Craig, without the hyperbole that has become rampant on this board.

Does it count as "rampant" if all the hyperbole is coming from one highly productive poster ?

grin
Posted By: Mojo Re: LFR1100 System Is Magnificent! - 01/20/20 06:22 PM
Phil, you neglected to mention the amplitude, frequency and spatial selectivity the active LFR1100s offer. laugh

True though!
Posted By: Mojo Re: LFR1100 System Is Magnificent! - 01/20/20 06:23 PM
BTW, Phil, what happened to the high gloss rosewood?
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: LFR1100 System Is Magnificent! - 01/20/20 09:41 PM
Oh yes, Mr. Mojo, much spatial, fantastic amplitude, and overwhelmingly beautiful frequency!

So, Axiom delivered the LFR1100As in a dull rosewood, instead of high gloss. Axiom once again demonstrated its superb customer service, and is building a pair of high gloss rosewoods for me. I can't wait to receive them. I'm sure the high gloss will result in even better spatial, amplitude and frequency!
Posted By: Mojo Re: LFR1100 System Is Magnificent! - 01/23/20 02:54 AM
Once you get the high gloss rosewood, just send that dull rosewood my way. smile
Posted By: BBIBH Re: LFR1100 System Is Magnificent! - 01/23/20 11:47 AM
Originally Posted By 2x6spds
So, Axiom delivered the LFR1100As in a dull rosewood, instead of high gloss. Axiom once again demonstrated its superb customer service, and is building a pair of high gloss rosewoods for me. I can't wait to receive them.

I think we have all experienced Axiom's great service - I have on several occasions dating back to the mid/late 1990's - however, if it was truly superb you would have received the correct models the first time.
Posted By: craigsub Re: LFR1100 System Is Magnificent! - 01/23/20 01:56 PM
Originally Posted By BBIBH
Originally Posted By 2x6spds
So, Axiom delivered the LFR1100As in a dull rosewood, instead of high gloss. Axiom once again demonstrated its superb customer service, and is building a pair of high gloss rosewoods for me. I can't wait to receive them.

I think we have all experienced Axiom's great service - I have on several occasions dating back to the mid/late 1990's - however, if it was truly superb you would have received the correct models the first time.

What you are suggesting is perfection. When anyone can post a business that has never made a mistake, then we can decide that "superb" can be applied if the business hits perfection.

Superb is a business that readily acknowledges the mistake, takes correction to remedy the mistake, and makes the customer feel good for having done so.

An analogy most of us have experienced - something is wrong with an order at a restaurant. The staff's response is now going to determine the experience. 25 years ago, a friend of my wife and her husband had a restaurant. A customer complained that her broiled chicken sandwich wasn't done enough.

The husband, as the owner, took the sandwich to the kitchen. He came back out 20 minutes later with a sandwich that was slightly overdone. He also let the customer know that he had taken a bite of the first sandwich, and it was "cooked properly."

He was out of business 6 months later. THAT is textbook for how NOT to handle something "superbly."

Food for thought. smile
Posted By: Mojo Re: LFR1100 System Is Magnificent! - 01/23/20 04:49 PM
Phil, it appears you've toed in your actives. Mine are about a foot away from the front wall and I had to do the same to broaden the soundstage. I have mine set to FAR2. I really wonder if those rears wouldn't benefit from a greater angle. I'll know better when I move them downstairs where I can get 3 feet away from the wall.
Posted By: craigsub Re: LFR1100 System Is Magnificent! - 01/23/20 05:23 PM
Originally Posted By Mojo
Phil, it appears you've toed in your actives. Mine are about a foot away from the front wall and I had to do the same to broaden the soundstage. I have mine set to FAR2. I really wonder if those rears wouldn't benefit from a greater angle. I'll know better when I move them downstairs where I can get 3 feet away from the wall.

You are going to love what moving them 3 feet from the walls will do - mine are also 2 feet in from the sidewalls, and the widest, deepest soundstage there is with no toe in.

That's our room, though - it will be fun as you and Phil experiment with these small tweaks in your own rooms.
Posted By: Mojo Re: LFR1100 System Is Magnificent! - 01/23/20 05:33 PM
They will be up to 12 feet apart, their backs up to 3 feet away from the front wall, 5 feet away from the left side and 2 feet away from the right. I may have to twiddle with BGC to dial them in. We'll see if lack of analog BGC ends up being a limitation.
Posted By: michael_d Re: LFR1100 System Is Magnificent! - 02/27/20 06:39 AM
Ian is teasing me with an "opportunity" to move to these Actives.

I love my current suite of Axiom speakers, and already have a few more heading my way for an Atmos upgrade. Swapping my beloved M80's out with 1100 actives was nowhere in my mind for an upgrade. But now I'm pondering this possibility, a little.... Regardless, I won't be separated from the M80's. They scratch an itch. I guess I need a bigger house.

I have the VP160 for the center, and again - I love it. Plus, all my speakers are real wood walnut, and I like the way they look. If I get some 1100's, I'll just have to get the damn things in Piano finished Rosewood..... grrrrr....

Questions I have....

Will the actives play nice with my 160 center?

How much "breathing room do these actives really need? The M80's are already intruding into a small space.

I have two, 5 channel, 200 WPC amps with ice modules. I use an Anthem MRX 1120 for a pre-amp. Can I, or maybe - should I, use these Ice based amps for the actives, or should I just get some Axiom amps?

I really can't believe I'm thinking about this...
Posted By: Mojo Re: LFR1100 System Is Magnificent! - 02/27/20 05:09 PM
I moved the actives into the main room from the living room a couple of weeks ago. The 160 works very well with them.

As for breathing room, I can't say yet. When I had them in the living room, I was getting a nice, deep soundstage with them 8" from the wall. I suspect the bow window between them really helped. In the basement, I have a lot more room to play with. I'm not satisfied with their positioning in that room. My frame of reference in that room is stand-mounted M5s.

What is the make and model of the ICE-based amp?
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: LFR1100 System Is Magnificent! - 02/27/20 07:08 PM
Mine are 8' apart and 2' from the wall, slight toe in. Haven't had the chance to dial them in for music and determine whether toe-in helps.

They are great!!!!

What's the FAR2? Do I need to get a flash light and put on my glasses?
Posted By: Mojo Re: LFR1100 System Is Magnificent! - 02/27/20 07:19 PM
FAR2 increases the output to the rear drivers by 3dB relative to the front. FAR1 increases by 1.5dB.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: LFR1100 System Is Magnificent! - 02/28/20 02:08 AM
Thank you Mr. Mojo! Where do I find this diddly adjuster?
Posted By: Mojo Re: LFR1100 System Is Magnificent! - 02/28/20 02:16 AM
As you're looking at the front of the DSP, reach behind from the left side with your left hand. It's the first knob on your left. Left all the way = Far 2, Right all the way = Near 2.
© Axiom Message Boards