Axiom Home Page
Posted By: 2x6spds QUESTIONS ABOUT ATMOS SYSTEM - 03/22/20 12:23 AM
OK, AURO 3D out of the question. It requires too many speakers.
Currently, I have an LFR1100 Active/VP160/QS8/Mission 77DS system with an EP600 and big butt HSU sub. I have a pair of ELAC ATMOS speakers atop the LFRs.

I want to upgrade to on-wall ATMOS speakers, using either M2 OWs, or VP100s (twin 5.25" drivers). I hope the wise men out there can give me some advice about what to do with this room:

[img:center][/img]

Posted By: 2x6spds Re: QUESTIONS ABOUT ATMOS SYSTEM - 03/22/20 12:27 AM
So, it is an interesting room. The 75" TV, console and LFRs are in a bit of a cove. I'm thinking of replacing the QS8s and Mission surrounds with the M2 OWs, and mounting another pair at ear level on the sides, and a pair of high mounted M2s above the LFRs.

What do you think?

BTW I'm using the Marantz AV8805 processor.
Posted By: Mojo Re: QUESTIONS ABOUT ATMOS SYSTEM - 03/22/20 01:03 AM
Hey Phil, I have an idea. How about using that nice room to peacefully dine in?
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: QUESTIONS ABOUT ATMOS SYSTEM - 03/22/20 01:12 AM
Oh no, Mr. Mojo, twin EP600s coming, and, of course, the occasional dinner party which requires music!

No, must shake that room!
Posted By: brendo Re: QUESTIONS ABOUT ATMOS SYSTEM - 03/22/20 06:22 PM
The on walls as high as they can go would be effective. I'm using my M22 As on wall height, The sound stage is massive. Not sure how they would correlate to the LFRs. already huge stage.

If you do ATMOS in there you probably want to make it more of a theater room. Or swap the table for couches at least for watching night.
Another thing you might want for ATMOS is a heavy duty curtain to block those windows reflections.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: QUESTIONS ABOUT ATMOS SYSTEM - 03/22/20 06:50 PM
Yup! Table has to stay. Chairs are pretty comfortable. I have plantation shutters on the windows. It is primarily a home theater set up. Not ideal. My other home theater room is my master bedroom, not suitable for most guests.

I agree, the ATMOS speakers will be set as high as possible.4 pair of M2s should do it.
Posted By: Mojo Re: QUESTIONS ABOUT ATMOS SYSTEM - 03/22/20 07:03 PM
You have my vote on the M2OW. They are more similar to the LFRs than the M3s. I recommend you mount them lower than the QSs.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: QUESTIONS ABOUT ATMOS SYSTEM - 03/24/20 10:05 PM
I was thinking of mounting the M2OW side surrounds, high, but tilted down, another M2OW, below the high surround, ear high. I'd put a pair of M2OWs as high ATMOS on the outside of the cove above the ALRFs.

I need another 6 channels of amplification with XLR inputs.

That's the plan.
Posted By: Mojo Re: QUESTIONS ABOUT ATMOS SYSTEM - 03/24/20 10:13 PM
Thinkin of doin sumthin ain't gonna lead to nuthin but thoughts.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: QUESTIONS ABOUT ATMOS SYSTEM - 03/24/20 10:17 PM
Oh, Mr. Mojo a little prickly. Cabin fever?

Thought into action is praxis.

There are a few impediments. Difficulty of mounting and wiring, and of course, cost.
Posted By: Mojo Re: QUESTIONS ABOUT ATMOS SYSTEM - 03/24/20 10:57 PM
Well, Philip, you changed your post. Your original post read "I was thinking of mounting the M2OW." Now come on and sing with me as you swivel those hips:

This ain't The People's Court
Thinking don't count
Just drill some holes and then mount
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: QUESTIONS ABOUT ATMOS SYSTEM - 03/24/20 11:17 PM
Ah, yes! For some reason, it posted while I was typing.

So, the problem is, sitting around, watching old movies, thinking about making the system sound better ... sometimes thinking is better than doing.

Cost benefit issue! Do you have the Auro 3D with VoG channel(s)?

I think that's the better way to go, but it would cause install
and major cost issues that I'm not sure I want to deal with.

So, thinking, thinking!

Posted By: brendo Re: QUESTIONS ABOUT ATMOS SYSTEM - 03/25/20 03:07 AM
The Atmos recommendations are to put the bed layer of the surrounds, mains etc. at ear level. maybe a little higher no more than 2 foot. Then put the heights in ceiling or on wall or up firing.

Higher placement may detract from overhead effect too much.

Kind of like how. The only recommendation of a multipole speaker in ATMOS set up is for front height/width placement too add to the sound stage envelopment. As the surround effects they produce get totally masked in their design intended positions.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: QUESTIONS ABOUT ATMOS SYSTEM - 03/26/20 04:54 AM
I returned the TCL 4 series 75" TV swapping it for an LG 75", huge improvement.

I took this as an opportunity to tweak the master bedroom system. The Marantz 7703 has stereo sub out, so, my friend crawled the attic and fixed the subwoofer cable meant for a 12" Velodyne. I now have 2 EP500s up front, inside of a pair of Thiel CS3.6s (an SVS 20-39 sub and the Velodyne gets a total of 4 subs). Above the Thiels, a pair of the gorgeous Axiom made Michaura M55s (twin Axiom 5.25" drivers with a 0.75" titanium tweeter) as front high ATMOS, and 4 Michaura M55s in side and back surround service. A VP180 center completes the speaker compliment.

I'm using a Cary Theater 7 channel and Marantz 2 channel amp.

The picture quality of the LG is great! The sound quality of this for the most part Axiom system is off the chart.

A home theater system like this makes social distancing much easier to take. If only there were more great movies to watch.

Stay safe and healthy.
Posted By: Mojo Re: QUESTIONS ABOUT ATMOS SYSTEM - 03/26/20 05:10 AM
If you had to choose a pair, Thiels or active LFRs?
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: QUESTIONS ABOUT ATMOS SYSTEM - 03/26/20 06:18 AM
Hello my friend

That's easy. Although I love my vintage Thiel CS3.6s, the LFRA 1100s are simply in another class.

The most recent Absolute Sound has an article on Gayle Sanders' breakthrough speakers. The Eikons. Active speakers with external DSP. "Audacious!" raves TAS. $25,000.

I'd love to see TAS and Stereophile review a pair of LFR1100 Actives with a pair of ADA1500s. What comes after "Audacious"?
Posted By: Mojo Re: QUESTIONS ABOUT ATMOS SYSTEM - 03/26/20 03:24 PM
I would expect indeed that the LFRAs are in another class.

I'm still dreaming of two 500s sitting underneath each of my M2OW in the living room.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: QUESTIONS ABOUT ATMOS SYSTEM - 03/26/20 05:04 PM
I'm dreaming of 4 M2OWs!
Posted By: brendo Re: QUESTIONS ABOUT ATMOS SYSTEM - 03/27/20 01:29 AM
You need to join Tam And put 800s under those M2s.

Wouldn't the amount of channels in the actives change it from ATMOS to more of a 5.2? Given you have a 13 channels and not just 11.2 processing?
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: QUESTIONS ABOUT ATMOS SYSTEM - 03/27/20 01:38 AM
I think the bedroom system is 7.2.4
2 F//L
2 ATMOS high fronts
2 side surrounds
2 back surrounds
1 center
4 subs

I should check the manual but I think the Marantz AV7703 is maxed out.

The downstairs system with the Marantz AV8805 is severely underutilized.

2 x LFR1100Actives
2 x upfiring ATMOS speakers
2 side surrounds
2 back surrounds
1 center
2 subs
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: QUESTIONS ABOUT ATMOS SYSTEM - 03/30/20 12:52 AM
Trigger pulled!

I'm replacing the existing 4 surrounds with 4 M2OWs. I'm getting another 2 M2OWsfor the side wall position under the side surrounds and another pair for the high front ATMOS positions.

So, 8 x M2OWs in egg shell white should transform the dining room system into something great.

Thank you Ian!!!

PS, we should call these M2WOWS!
Posted By: Mojo Re: QUESTIONS ABOUT ATMOS SYSTEM - 03/30/20 01:18 AM
Sixteen slender sphincters soon successfully serving surround sound.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: QUESTIONS ABOUT ATMOS SYSTEM - 03/30/20 03:52 AM
No puckered gorilla rectums?
Posted By: Mojo Re: QUESTIONS ABOUT ATMOS SYSTEM - 03/30/20 03:57 AM
My research on gorilla rectums reveals the M2OW puckered ports were modeled after baby gorillas.
© Axiom Message Boards