Axiom Home Page
Posted By: chesseroo Still talking high end TVs - 06/17/20 06:15 PM
Hoping one of the richer Axiom folks might give this a spin and let us know how that goes.
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/sony-98-8k-uhd-hdr-led-android-smart-tv-xbr98z9g/13831527
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Still talking high end TVs - 06/17/20 06:36 PM
And this take on why to hold off on buying a tv in 2020 is interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu1bH2gGXes

Gaming isn't an issue for us. HDMI 2.1 has some potential pluses, but the biggest thing is the budget OLED market possibly driving down prices overall.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Still talking high end TVs - 06/17/20 07:17 PM
I got an LG 75" model, 75UM7570PUD, with HDR and HLG for $1,000 for my bedroom.

It is a great TV at a terrific price. I have a Sony XBR 75 940d, much more expensive than the LG. The Sony has a better picture, but not by much. The LG is about $2,500 less expensive than the Sony was.

We live in a golden age of audio and video.
Posted By: rrlev Re: Still talking high end TVs - 06/17/20 10:03 PM
Chessero, that BB 98" is very tempting but ... nah ... think I'll put it toward a self driving car with a 75" micro-led, surround sound and a hot tub in back. You know something to get you around in your old age.

The Digital Trends thing is interesting ... since I keep bouncing between a 65" LG CX OLED and a 75" Samsung Q80T which is about the same price ... and now 2x6 has me thinking about 75" $1000 screens
Need some box stores to open so I can see these things ...

Maybe should just punt for a while with my 15year+ old 55" fluorescent backlit HDTV (with 2" wide clunky bezel) and wait for Digital Trends to give the go ahead ...

You know screens keep shrinking ... back in the early 90's I had a HUGH 50" back projection TV ...
Posted By: aaaaaaaaaaaaa Re: Still talking high end TVs - 06/17/20 10:10 PM
You guys might be interested in the HDTV test youtube channel. Website too.

Probably the most thorough yet watchable calibrator/reviewer out there.

Extensive models covered. Vinnie knows his stuff.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Still talking high end TVs - 06/17/20 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by rrlev
... back in the early 90's I had a HUGH 50" back projection TV ...
In the 90s??
That's what i STILL have in our media room!
LOL
Toshiba 50" RPTV.
198 pounds of joy.

I refused to buy any LCD/LED for down there given my hate for the downsides so for the last 5 years i've been waiting on OLED to finally develop. The unit is circa 2002, bought as a wedding gift for me but the old girl needs to move on. I'll likely try and give it away on Kijji at some point because it still works.
I always liked that 'film' quality look but now i'm into sharpness and vivid colour and UHD quality.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Still talking high end TVs - 06/17/20 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by rrlev
The Digital Trends thing is interesting ... .
Yes it is.
Here is a pretty good argument by the guy as to why not to buy a TV this year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu1bH2gGXes
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Still talking high end TVs - 06/17/20 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by TrevorM
You guys might be interested in the HDTV test youtube channel. Website too.

Probably the most thorough yet watchable calibrator/reviewer out there.

Extensive models covered. Vinnie knows his stuff.
Got a link?
Posted By: aaaaaaaaaaaaa Re: Still talking high end TVs - 06/17/20 10:24 PM
Wow! You are going to be impressed with the new displays in your room.

Why not go ultra short throw PJ?

https://www.youtube.com/user/hdtvtest
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Still talking high end TVs - 06/17/20 10:40 PM
Wow! You are going to be impressed with the new displays in your room.

Why not go ultra short throw PJ?

https://www.youtube.com/user/hdtvtest
Well long story short, the room was designed to have an overhead projector (did the basement reno in 2005). The room was also designed to be setup in one of two ways, long or short axis. We decided to go with the short axis and at the time, no projector could throw at such a short distance. Also, that max. wall space available for viewing is literally about 75". No projector at that time was throwing anything under 85". Hence, we've stuck with the tv until plasma and then LCD/LED came along. I saw how large format plasma and LED tvs were getting and becoming VERY cost effective, so rather than have an overly hot, somewhat noise adding overhead projector sitting above the seating area, AND having to rearrange the room to the long axis (based on the ceiling connector locations), i said screw it. We'll wait for plasma or LED to come about a bit and decrease in price and 70"+ screens were doing just that UNTIL OLED started up.

It became clear that plasmas were going to die off (and not sure they had formats above 65" or if they did they were stupid expensive) and by this point i had experienced the downsides to LED so...the long wait for OLED began.
And here we are.

Of course with the cost of a 75" OLED presently, one could get a very good quality projector and screen, the other issues mentioned still exist so again, for the extra cost and the likelihood that this TV will last me another 20 years, i'll probably stick with the plan for OLED later this year.
Posted By: aaaaaaaaaaaaa Re: Still talking high end TVs - 06/17/20 10:44 PM
I have a feeling that youtube link will serve you well. smile Happy shopping!

Excited for you.

P.S. I know your room. Holy Blanks Batman. wink
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Still talking high end TVs - 06/18/20 01:45 AM
P.S. I know your room. Holy Blanks Batman. wink

I thought i heard someone sneaking around late last night.
Posted By: bman84 Re: Still talking high end TVs - 06/18/20 02:52 PM
Someone needs to develop a way to mash four 55" OLED panels into a single, unified 110" 8K OLED. I think you could pull that off for under $10k (you can get a 55" C9 OLED for $2,200 CAD right now).
Posted By: rrlev Re: Still talking high end TVs - 06/18/20 09:49 PM

Wow, he moves pretty fast with those reviews. About 1/3 of the time he was moving on as my mind raced to comprehend what he said. Also, I'm pretty sophisticated with this stuff and I had to guess on a few things he was talking about.
Posted By: aaaaaaaaaaaaa Re: Still talking high end TVs - 06/18/20 10:39 PM
Yeah. He’s kind of a savant with TVs.

Really solid content.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Still talking high end TVs - 06/19/20 05:40 PM
Anyone heard anything about OLED asymmetric degradation or is this only a theoretical concept that may not be realistic within the expected lifetime span of an OLED tv?
I read about this in a computer monitor article (just bought a new monitor this week so it came up in my researching). I haven't seen much of anything on it with a quick online search though.

Anyone else hear about this?
Posted By: rrlev Re: Still talking high end TVs - 06/20/20 12:40 AM
Don't know much about asymmetric degradation ...
I can tell you that OLEDs degrade over time. LG give's it's OLED about 100,000 hours till they are half as bright as they were when new. I imagine if you don't run your tv at full brightness, and for a reasonable number of hours a day, it will give you a lifetime of use.

That said, this brings us to a few questions I have yet to answer: if you run an OLED at 1/2 brightness do you loose color resolution and would HDR require you to raise the brightness again ... one may find that the 100,000 hour mark is really 25,000. Lastly ,.. on degradation ...

I do know that exposing an OLED tv to direct sunlight will ruin it ... UV rays degrade them quickly ... which brings us to the old saying:

hang it where the sun doesn't shine smile
Posted By: aaaaaaaaaaaaa Re: Still talking high end TVs - 06/20/20 11:04 AM
If you are worried Chess the QLED sets are very well regarded too. Just check the off axis performance if that is a concern.

In a dark room setup the differences will come dow to how well you can tune the settings. Nowadays calibration settings are online for most sets.

The only other consideration is if you use onboard streaming apps like netflix. Make sure the TV will stream Atmos out over hdmi. Even if you dont use Atmos, you will want to ensure compatability long term since it looks like you hold onto TVs for a good bit.

Check out Vincent yet? Tons of head to heads on there.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Still talking high end TVs - 06/23/20 03:00 AM
I doubt i'll be doing Atmos even in 15 years. I can't see myself mounting 10+ speakers around our room. I think a 7.2 setup is as far as i'll go. I have 5.1 now, moving to 7.1 this year, maybe 7.2 if i feel ballsy.
Posted By: rrlev Re: Still talking high end TVs - 06/23/20 03:36 AM
I'm not certain that Atmos is worth it at the moment given the number of films which really take advantage of it. The main reason IMO to at least wire for it is future proofing.

That said, I'm in the process of building a HT with Atmos ... but I imagine the room we will use the most will still be the 5.1 family room.
Posted By: aaaaaaaaaaaaa Re: Still talking high end TVs - 06/23/20 04:31 AM
Before I had Atmos my old AVR was rendered obsolete because it woulnt properly fold down Atmos titles to 7.1. It would lurch and tick and pop unless I changed the output of the BD-103 to PCM from bitstream.

It was a bummer. It was a pricey AVR and was otherwise Ok. My signal chain no longer supported the new audio codecs.

If I was to buy a TV these days I would be sure it had eArc is all. I beleive that supports immersive over HDMI. But worth verifying on your model.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Still talking high end TVs - 06/23/20 03:27 PM
Before I had Atmos my old AVR was rendered obsolete because it woulnt properly fold down Atmos titles to 7.1. It would lurch and tick and pop unless I changed the output of the BD-103 to PCM from bitstream.

It was a bummer. It was a pricey AVR and was otherwise Ok. My signal chain no longer supported the new audio codecs.

If I was to buy a TV these days I would be sure it had eArc is all. I beleive that supports immersive over HDMI. But worth verifying on your model.
Something i was going to be incorporating as a necessary feature; eARC. The Sony A9G series does not have HDMI 2.1 but it does support eARC on one of the HDMI inputs. I believe you have to get their Ultimate chip and not the Extreme chip to have this feature on Sony OLED.
The reviews say that Sony still wasn't 100% clear whether their 2020 lineup would support HDMI 2.1. They are falling way behind if they don't. The reviews also say that most of the features with HDMI 2.1 are more important for gamers with the exception of HDR. If HDR isn't a must thing (and frankly it won't be for many people), then as long as you have eARC, the rest is moot.
Our system will not be a gamer system and even if it was, none of us play so seriously we need those features.

I had looked at an AVR earlier this year but there was no point in buying just yet. Was still sorting out all that was going to change around in the home systems. There's more than just HT electronics that needed replacing this year. I just got a new monitor yesterday!
© Axiom Message Boards