Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Listener Media Cabinet for center channel - 10/03/20 03:38 PM
What AV cabinet are you using that can support the VP180?

I was looking at some of the salamander, but the center channel shelf is not tall enough to support the center. I also looked at BDI furniture and not wide enough to fit the speaker...
Posted By: Rebulx Re: Media Cabinet for center channel - 10/04/20 03:22 AM
From what i've heard the off axis performance of a centered tweeter, like on the VP160 will be your best choice. That is what I will be buying next.

Love to see what you end of going with, as i'm thinking i'll have to build my own shelf.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Media Cabinet for center channel - 10/04/20 04:50 AM
I have a BDI Corridor 8179. It is beautiful. Looks very good with a VP160 on top.
Posted By: Listener Re: Media Cabinet for center channel - 10/04/20 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by 2x6spds
I have a BDI Corridor 8179. It is beautiful. Looks very good with a VP160 on top.

I am considering getting that exact cabinet, but i will have a UST projector on top which is why the speaker has to be in the center shelf... would the VP160 fit in there?
Posted By: Listener Re: Media Cabinet for center channel - 10/04/20 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by Rebulx
From what i've heard the off axis performance of a centered tweeter, like on the VP160 will be your best choice. That is what I will be buying next.

Love to see what you end of going with, as i'm thinking i'll have to build my own shelf.

You think the VP160 would work well with the M80s? Or does it go better with the M60s?
Posted By: brendo Re: Media Cabinet for center channel - 10/04/20 04:36 PM
The 160 is only more similar to the M60 driver config. It will play well with all Axioms I think. With my M80s my 160 is wonderful. No noticeable difference in Timber at all to me.
Posted By: BBIBH Re: Media Cabinet for center channel - 10/04/20 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by brendo
The 160 is only more similar to the M60 driver config. It will play well with all Axioms I think. With my M80s my 160 is wonderful. No noticeable difference in Timber at all to me.
I agree. I run M80/VP160 and am impressed.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Media Cabinet for center channel - 10/04/20 10:59 PM
The only time a 180 ought to be considered is in applications where the 160 is not loud enough.
Posted By: Rebulx Re: Media Cabinet for center channel - 10/05/20 02:33 AM
I just got my M100s V4s last week and will be going with the VP160, no question about it! I guess I need to update my signature!
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Media Cabinet for center channel - 10/05/20 11:58 PM
Hi Listener

The shelves in the BDI Corridor are adjustable, but I don't think placing a center speaker inside the cabinet would be ideal for sound quality.

I never tried putting the VP160 inside the cabinet, so, just a guess.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Media Cabinet for center channel - 10/06/20 12:32 AM
Phil, I didn't want to break the bad news to Listener.
Posted By: Listener Re: Media Cabinet for center channel - 10/06/20 12:42 AM
Originally Posted by 2x6spds
Hi Listener

The shelves in the BDI Corridor are adjustable, but I don't think placing a center speaker inside the cabinet would be ideal for sound quality.

I never tried putting the VP160 inside the cabinet, so, just a guess.

Yeah... I'm sure you're right. I can't figure out the right solution for what I'm trying to do while still having the room look like a living room.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Media Cabinet for center channel - 10/06/20 12:55 AM
Yeah, but it is a beautiful piece!

What finish are you considering?
Posted By: Listener Re: Media Cabinet for center channel - 10/06/20 01:15 AM
Walnut... to match the walnut speakers =) But now you have me rethinking everything again
Posted By: Mojo Re: Media Cabinet for center channel - 10/06/20 01:26 AM
Mmmmm....walnut! I have natural, espresso, bordeaux and nutmeg. Nutmeg is a bit too orange for me under certain lighting. I love all others.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Media Cabinet for center channel - 10/06/20 01:32 AM
I have the walnut BDI because it matches the rest of the room. But, I sure love the look of the white oak.

Mr. Mo, my VP180 is nutmeg, Sure looks beautiful!
Posted By: Listener Re: Media Cabinet for center channel - 10/08/20 12:52 AM
You guys aren't making this decision any easier LOL BDI states the cabinet doors are acoustically transparent, but there is no way to know how it will affect the sound without trying it out... speakers i can try out, cabinets are a little harder... i don't think it would be very easy to return a 80" cabinet.
Posted By: Rock_Head Re: Media Cabinet for center channel - 10/08/20 01:15 AM
I really wanted to purchase the BDI Corridor media cabinet but the dimensions for the Axiom VP180 center channel speaker was about 1.5" too long. I ended up purchasing a VP180OW. Still looking at BDI cabinets but not for housing a centre channel speaker.
Posted By: Listener Re: Media Cabinet for center channel - 10/08/20 01:26 AM
Originally Posted by Rock_Head
I really wanted to purchase the BDI Corridor media cabinet but the dimensions for the Axiom VP180 center channel speaker was about 1.5" too long. I ended up purchasing a VP180OW. Still looking at BDI cabinets but not for housing a centre channel speaker.

If it wasn't for the fact that i want to put a UST projector on top of the cabinet i would just put the center there. Looks like there are no perfect choices here

either choose a different stand... most can't fit the axiom centers which would force me to a different company speaker...

get a TV instead of a projector and put the VP160 on top

Put the 160 inside the BDI corridor and hope it sounds okay.
© Axiom Message Boards