Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Kodiak NAD pairing with Axiom - 02/11/21 04:54 PM
Just wondering if anyone out there can comment on pairing NAD gear ( class A/B , class G with the high voltage rails that take over for burst power) how this might pair with axiom in terms of sound and tone character.

Thanks, Kodiak.
Posted By: CV Re: NAD pairing with Axiom - 02/11/21 07:20 PM
Are you really asking about a NAD pair with Mojo on the board?
Posted By: Kodiak Re: NAD pairing with Axiom - 02/11/21 08:55 PM
Yeah. Im taking my chances here. Sounds like there's a story there. ( What am i missing?.......Does he have some connection to NAD?) I'm sure he'll let me know......

I know that an ADA would be ideal and i'd love too but theres an amp that could come my way for a reasonable price and i'd like to see if any body has tried NAD with an axiom speaker. Id like to do a full upgrade of my system as we are moving into a bigger space but thats not gonna happen for a bit. If I really upgrade id like to do it by buying a fully new setup. ( M100's or LFR's, its a big open space with high ceilings.) For now ive got the budget to do small tweaks and changes with what ive got and not commit tons of money to it right now.
I'm sure theres plenty of folks out there that have done an Axiom / NAD match but im curious to see how they match up. I'm guessing it's a reasonable match but just in case there is some weirdness id like to ask all the knowing people out there.I've never heard an NAD amplifier before.

I've done a few searches and all i could find were a few passing comments about an NAD axiom setup, nothing too telling.
Posted By: aaaaaaaaaaaaa Re: NAD pairing with Axiom - 02/11/21 10:31 PM
How many WPC?

If less than 100wpc into 8 ohms dont bother. 150wpc even better.

If you want to keep it and are looking to an eventual big room you will need power.

I have a NAD 777. It is fine. No axioms in that setup though.

I drive my M5s with a ~300wpc into 4ohm integrated amp. Pretty pretty pretty good.

[Linked Image from media4.giphy.com]

I have very recently heard M5s off of a Denon 750. Not as good, but still ok. Power makes a difference.
Posted By: Kodiak Re: NAD pairing with Axiom - 02/11/21 11:46 PM
Thanks Trevor. Thats good info. Appreciate that.
The power amplifier is a NAD c272. It's 2x150 watts into 8 ohms. Seems to get really good reviews for low impedance and high dynamics. ( 220 watts dynamic per channel which the m60ti could still take more I think, the best I can find is a spec that says 250watts RMS for M60ti so dynamically it could handle more. ) I got to admit im scared of cranking it up in my space and blowing the tweeters with the my Yamaha Rceiver.)

So it's coming from a reputable shop that does vintage gear and repairs. My dad has used them in the past too for speaker repairs. Comes with a warranty as well.

My thoughts were to enjoy this NAD c272 with my m60ti until I can upgrade to m100v4's. It plays at 4 Ohms comfortably too with 340 watts dynamic so I could also use it with m100 to start out there too for awhile then upgrade to some Axiom ADA products for the m100 and bump the NAD and m60ti to home theatre duty in another space at some point.

Thanks again for the info your experience. I'm curious to see how the m60ti sound with more power available to them. If I do pick the amp up I will do it soon so I can try it in my current space for a reference comparison before trying it in the new space.

Larry David is genious in my book!
Posted By: aaaaaaaaaaaaa Re: NAD pairing with Axiom - 02/12/21 01:05 AM
Do eeeeeet!
Posted By: Mojo Re: NAD pairing with Axiom - 02/12/21 03:17 AM
At 220W peak, that NAD doesn't have enough 'nads ( heh heh Charles). smile
Posted By: Kodiak Re: NAD pairing with Axiom - 02/12/21 05:25 AM
Trevor, how did you get the gif in there?!
Posted By: Kodiak Re: NAD pairing with Axiom - 02/12/21 05:47 AM
I have a feeling the forum makes it had to post gifs and memes on purpose. Because id fill the server with useless but hilarious pics!
Posted By: Kodiak Re: NAD pairing with Axiom - 02/12/21 05:50 AM
And yes mojo, those are unbalanced NADS.
( I can;t believe im encouraging him....)
Posted By: aaaaaaaaaaaaa Re: NAD pairing with Axiom - 02/12/21 09:51 AM
Lol. I love curb too and Seinfeld of course.

To post gif choose add image and the link must be direct to the file.

Ie : https://i.pinimg.com/originals/10/9b/9c/109b9c810c89cce5df91cb3a2fc60350.jpg

Equals = good to go.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

I’m cautious about waxing romantic about gear, because there are so many bigger factors to consider when it comes to the end result. Last weekend I visited a friends place who had turned an above garage great room into a home theater. It has a 130” screen and an Axiom 5.2 setup. We pre designed it with renders and scaled drawings and he followed the plan closely. The result was excellent and impressive. BUT when I visited with measuring gear we were able to take it even further.

I would argue setup and calibration in the end are more important than what the stuff is. So long as the gear you currently have does the job, you might have free improvements on the table. In his situation, he is as far as he can go without adding more power now. Awesome room.
Posted By: BBIBH Re: NAD pairing with Axiom - 02/12/21 12:15 PM
I ran NAD gear (receivers and amps) in various setups with Axiom speakers - both original AX models and M models with no issues. I found the combinations to be very musical and clean sounding.

I guess the amp output would depend on listening levels, but even a 40wpc NAD paired with any Axiom i owned was enjoyable for the listening levels I wanted.
© Axiom Message Boards