Axiom Home Page
Posted By: rrlev Resilient Channel and Projectors - 04/06/21 02:01 AM
My ceiling and walls are isolated using resilient channel and clips.
If I mount my screen to the wall and projector to the ceiling could there be a problem with vibration? It wouldn't be good if the image started shaking every time a loud bang came along ...

Since I can't find (google) any one talking about it I'm kind of assuming it's not.

Anyone know anything about this?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Resilient Channel and Projectors - 04/06/21 04:47 PM
I didn't go to that extreme and I have no issues with 3 subs or extremely loud explosions. Just regular drywall with regular one-sided paper insulation in ceiling above drywall. The only time I get vibrations is when the kids are jumping around upstairs which I nip in the butt real fast..
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Resilient Channel and Projectors - 04/06/21 06:20 PM
Nipping in the butt can get you into trouble. Better if you nip it in the bud.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Resilient Channel and Projectors - 04/06/21 07:31 PM
lol, I knew someone would comment on my grammer, sorry already have a few IPAs in me with high ABV. smile
Posted By: aaaaaaaaaaaaa Re: Resilient Channel and Projectors - 04/06/21 09:09 PM
A false wall AT setup will give issues if sealed tight. Screen will visibly move during loudpassages. Screen on front wall not an issue with floating sheetrock.

PJ should be hard mounted to structure above. Not drywall face. Check pm.
Posted By: rrlev Re: Resilient Channel and Projectors - 04/06/21 09:43 PM
Thanks Trevor,

Any favorite mounts for the end of that pipe?
Posted By: aaaaaaaaaaaaa Re: Resilient Channel and Projectors - 04/06/21 09:48 PM
Depends on the PJ. The chief mounts are popular and sturdy. Lots of cheap copy cat mounts on the market these days virtually identical. Buyers paradise.

We use mustang mounts at work. Again, cheap clones plentiful if you want to save for other items.
Posted By: rrlev Re: Resilient Channel and Projectors - 04/06/21 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by SirQuack
I didn't go to that extreme and I have no issues with 3 subs or extremely loud explosions. Just regular drywall with regular one-sided paper insulation in ceiling above drywall. The only time I get vibrations is when the kids are jumping around upstairs which I nip in the butt real fast..

Yeah, It's an unknown that I don't want to take a chance with.

Today when watching movies (or playing music for that matter) at any volume what so ever ... especially if they go boom. I get requests to turn it down or put on headphones. Want to make damn sure that does not happen in the HT ... otherwise I'll only be able to use it when the wife is out.
Posted By: rrlev Re: Resilient Channel and Projectors - 04/06/21 09:56 PM
Thanks Trevor ... do they all accept a pipe? And how do you know ... since I've never seen it mentioned .. but maybe I haven't look close enough ...
Posted By: aaaaaaaaaaaaa Re: Resilient Channel and Projectors - 04/06/21 10:00 PM
Yes, pretty much all do. Pretty sure it is standard 1” rigid ID pipe. Outside is 1 3/8” or so. Will check.

Yep. 1” pipe and flange.
Posted By: aaaaaaaaaaaaa Re: Resilient Channel and Projectors - 04/06/21 10:28 PM
This one takes 1 1/2”. Maybe snag your mount first to be sure. Mine is 1”. Either way, if you put in 1”drop pipe a thread reducing adapter is easy to snag for either case for a few bucks at hardware store. smile

https://www.amazon.com/QualGear-QG-PRO-PM-50-W-Pro-AV-Threaded-Accessory/dp/B01B1JEOQO/ref=sr_1_19?dchild=1&keywords=Projector+mount+1”+pipe&qid=1617747923&sr=8-19
Posted By: michael_d Re: Resilient Channel and Projectors - 04/07/21 05:19 PM
I build a hanging shelf for my latest projector set up, so I could sit the projector on the shelf, verse hang it upside down....I have an anamorphic lens in front of it too, mounted directly to the same shelf. It's mounted directly to the floor joists of the second floor above. When I originally hung the projector, I too was concerned about the upper floor and/or bass vibrations. Neither ended up being an issue. I have a Stewart screen (2.40 scope screen) mounted directly to the wall. No issues with that either.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Resilient Channel and Projectors - 04/07/21 06:23 PM
Low Frequency Effects travel a long ways and unless your in an Axiom Chamber good luck. smile Just think when your traveling in your car and you hear BOOM BOOM THUMP THUMP from a car with a sub within 10 cars or so. You say what idiot is that Thump Thump.. smile
© Axiom Message Boards