Axiom Home Page
Posted By: rrlev projectors, screens, and center channels - 04/28/21 01:28 AM
Work on the HT is starting up again and it's time to get serious on picking out projectors and screens.

The top projector on my list is the LG HU810PW. A laser DLP with excellent spec's for under $3k USD.

The screen is a bit harder. Trevor suggested I consider an AT screen and put my center and a diffusion panel behind it. Think this is a great idea as long as the diffuser doesn't screw up the ALFRs (something to check into). He also recommended Elite screens as being decent unfortunately after doing some research I discovered that their AT screens need a 1.5x (of screen width) seating distance. Unfortunately my MPL is at 1.1x and I'm not moving it!

So, before I start spending time on a AT screen search I thought I'd open up a discussion and see what ideas came out.
Posted By: Rebulx Re: projectors, screens, and center channels - 04/28/21 03:09 AM
I'm not up to speed on the HT lingo, what is an "AT" screen?

I'm looking at twisting a room to a true media center room so I would like to know what you end up with.

I had my mind set on a short throw projector. Have you looked at those? The research i've done is a few short trips to a BB magnolia center. I thought the short throw was better. Please steer me in the right direction if i'm off here as I need to land on something very soon.
Posted By: rrlev Re: projectors, screens, and center channels - 04/28/21 03:20 AM
Acoustically Transparent
Posted By: Rebulx Re: projectors, screens, and center channels - 04/28/21 03:27 AM
Originally Posted by rrlev
Acoustically Transparent

well that makes sense.
My homemade 115" AT screen is made from milliskin spandex (black under white). Cost was $63usd plus shipping (2019). items 795 and 796 from Spandex World . I'm using a cheap Optoma projector HD142x and it looks great once the projector warms up!
Thanks for the link!

I forgot when we were talking Rich, Elunevision is another good option. But a little more pricey. Lots of great choices in their line if you can find a local vendor.
I like Stewart. I've had a Firehawk G3 for at least 10 years now, and have no complaints whatsoever. I like this screen as I do not "need" to have complete light control. It also has a positive gain, which is rarely a bad thing, especially now with 4K and HDR. Can't comment on AT screens. I have not had a setup with speakers behind the screen, so no personal experience to share. If you go to Stewart's website, they have a nifty screen selection tool that guides you through the selection process.

What aspect ratio are you going with? I'm a big fan of 2.35, or 2.4 if you prefer..... It does come with a cost, but well worth it IMO.

Laser DLP is probably the way to go, assuming the tech is there now. It wasn't when I bought my last projector, so I ended up with a JVC RS2000. It's been a great projector so far. I use the Panamorph Paladin DCR lens in front of it.
Posted By: rrlev Re: projectors, screens, and center channels - 04/28/21 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by LondonCalling
My homemade 115" AT screen is made from milliskin spandex (black under white). Cost was $63usd plus shipping (2019). items 795 and 796 from Spandex World
Kind of funny as the first thought that went through my head was projecting on used under garments. Then my head cleared and I googled it ... it’s a thing. If it’s inexpensive enough might be worth trying it even if it’s just to check out the concept.
Posted By: rrlev Re: projectors, screens, and center channels - 04/28/21 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by TrevorM
Elunevision is another good option.
I’ll give them a look
Posted By: Mojo Re: projectors, screens, and center channels - 05/03/21 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by LondonCalling
My homemade 115" AT screen is made from milliskin spandex (black under white). Cost was $63usd plus shipping (2019). items 795 and 796 from Spandex World
Kind of funny as the first thought that went through my head was projecting on used under garments. Then my head cleared and I googled it ... it’s a thing. If it’s inexpensive enough might be worth trying it even if it’s just to check out the concept.

This has really been bugging me. Undergarments OK but why used?
Posted By: rrlev Re: projectors, screens, and center channels - 05/04/21 01:53 AM
Originally Posted by Mojo
Undergarments OK but why used?
Just my attempt at humor
Hey rrlev. Just a heads up. If you find a good price on upcoming harware you may consider buying it and sitting on it. Projectors right now are fluctuating in price weekly and stock is low or gone on many models.

Anyway, years ago when we built our room Nick was around to give advice. Some of the best was dont set anything up until the room is finished. I know it will be tough, but he sure was right. smile Way harder to make everything right when things are operational at the “good enough” point. Rooms are never really done for hobbyists, but as soon as you can shoot a picture at the wall it sure gets tempting to get enjoying over finishing... laugh
Posted By: rrlev Re: projectors, screens, and center channels - 05/04/21 06:03 PM
If you find a good price on upcoming harware you may consider buying it and sitting on it. Projectors right now are fluctuating in price weekly and stock is low or gone on many models
as soon as you can shoot a picture at the wall it sure gets tempting to get enjoying over finishing... laugh

I'll finish it ... don't you worry. It will be done in two or three phases. Right now the sound proofing and a partial platform (for a straight couch)). Then most of the finish and carpet. It will be usable at that point. 3rd phase is getting the correct main seating and fitting the platform to it. Which depending on other projects may take a while.
Posted By: Mojo Re: projectors, screens, and center channels - 05/07/21 12:12 AM
I'd never hide my speakers behind a screen. NEVER!
Just have to watch shows about speakers to get yer fix. laugh
Posted By: Mojo Re: projectors, screens, and center channels - 05/08/21 12:38 AM
laugh
I agree with this statement for sure. While one can use equalizing enhancement from a receiver to help adjust for any frequency dips or spikes that will surely accrue from the speakers position, there is no adjustment for the picture itself, the picture is then deemed to have been softened. With a AT micro perf screen about ten percent of the screen material has been removed. This doesn't allow the pixels to be fully formed on the screen, and then returned back to the viewer's eyes as would a quality solid surface screen would do.
Modern AT screens are woven though. Perf is kind of old tech.

Maybe you are correct with older screens. But even modestly priced AT screens nowadays are phenominal.

Here is weave structure from an inch or so away. DLP image -so no screen door. I can assure you it is not a concern nowadays. Tack sharp. In fact, there is much more variation in image softness when the projector is first turned on vs up to temp. At 4k that makes a bigger difference. Focus after at temp -not cold!

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

Posted By: Mojo Re: projectors, screens, and center channels - 05/09/21 03:32 AM
It don't matter. It's all just a low rez hallucination.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lyu7v7nWzfo
Huh? confused

I will upload a single pixel test pattern pic later. We watched Gladiator last night and was late when we finished. Rich, if you zoom into the first image you can see pixel rows where the gradient on the line goes from white to darker. Easier to see with pixel checkerboard pattern.
Image cropping test pattern single pixel field spears and munsil. 4k. Woven AT screen. So here you can see pixels properly formed on AT material. No worries.

Zoomed way in right at screen.

Posted By: rrlev Re: projectors, screens, and center channels - 05/09/21 05:14 PM
My question is at 1:1 width to MLP can you see the weave?
Start to see it barely at 4’ or so. But if I didnt know it was there likely not. At 2’ it is visible as texture. Cant see fibers with naked eye.
From 1.1 with 1080 material

Posted By: rrlev Re: projectors, screens, and center channels - 05/09/21 06:57 PM
Trevor what screen is this and well does it do with 4k material?
Hey Trevor,

What is that screen shot from? If I have it, I will try to make a similar picture for comparison, if you don't mind.

I sure hope that perf screens are still a viable option for 4K as I still have a roll of SMX in my basement.
Draper Accuscreen 800025 106” in white (not grey)

Now discontinued. Pretty plain jane screen at the time. Think it was $330 plus shipping.

HDR looks great. Post pic maybe later.
Gladiator extended on bluray. Time stamp in pic. smile

I havent messed with perf screens so I cant say. But can recommend woven screens no issue.
The comments I made yesterday, I will stand by them in reference to the picture quality projected onto any acoustical transparent projection screen. I spoke yesterday on what my eyes have seen in my home over a good number of years. I have had two theater rooms setup in two different spaces within my home and I have 20/20 vision. I have had a total of five different quality projectors, along with five different quality projection screen surfaces along the way.

Each time as I was remaking the theater room, I would have various screen samples for comparison. On two of those occasions I did have some quality acoustical transparent screen samples that I was comparing both against each other, and also against some quality solid suface screen samples as well. In my case in both instantices the acoustical transparent screen material suffered in picture loss in resolution, because of it's softened image as compared with a quality solid surface screen material. This is what I will attest to.

But their is a gentleman well known within the Home theater industry who knows far more than I would ever hope to know, his name is Kris Deering here is a link below to an article in which he has authored.

https://www.soundandvision.com/cont...k-130-g4-projection-screen-review-page-2
Read the article. Thanks!

Hdr. Spears & Munsil 4k demo. AT screen.

Those are very nice pictures for sure, thank you for sharing. I hope members don't get the wrong idea that I was in anyway tring to discredit or persuade anyone from ever purchasing an AT projection screen as they certainly do have their place in this arena. I'm diffidently a picture first type of hobbyist, with the sound being second.
What PJ and screen do you use?

You are right that great sound or video can sometimes be at the expense of the other. Anyone using an AT screen should understand the area or wall directly behind it should be painted dark or black to soak up light bleed if the screen does not have a black cloth backer.

There is just something really special about the center channel being behind the screen. Really helps with suspension of disbelief. Throw some diffusers behind it too…. Now were talkin!
Unfortunately our new LG OLED is NOT acoustically transparent...i can attest to that.
Posted By: rrlev Re: projectors, screens, and center channels - 05/10/21 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by chesseroo
Unfortunately our new LG OLED is NOT acoustically transparent...i can attest to that.
Oh well, at least it's not so big that a center below doesn't work well ... at least it works fine for me. Not so sure about a 150" screen.

I know your joking but I think it maybe in the realm of possible to come up with a AT OLED. You should drop it in the LG suggestion box smile
Posted By: Mojo Re: projectors, screens, and center channels - 05/11/21 11:01 PM
It exists and will be production-ready in 5 years. It will do virtual Atmos from embedded, highly sensitive, acoustic projectors whose organic radiating areas are dynamically controlled. The sounds and images are spatially coordinated using a new processor architecture.
Sony A8F Oled?

DML Panel. So yep! Getting there.

Works like DML panels demonstrated on youtube Tech Ingredients Channel. Actuator coupled to rigid panel.

Very cool!
Posted By: rrlev Re: projectors, screens, and center channels - 05/12/21 01:03 PM
I’m thinking that a perforated OLED panel is possible.
Posted By: Mojo Re: projectors, screens, and center channels - 05/12/21 04:10 PM
Yup, but is it really a problem worth solving?
Originally Posted by Mojo
Yup, but is it really a problem worth solving?
Of course!
Sony A8F Oled?

DML Panel. So yep! Getting there.

Works like DML panels demonstrated on youtube Tech Ingredients Channel. Actuator coupled to rigid panel.

Very cool!
Kind of sounds like Martin Logan electrostat idea. Whole front of the tv is a sound emitting device.
Posted By: rrlev Re: projectors, screens, and center channels - 05/13/21 08:53 AM
DML is interesting but I’d think that the material being driven would be need to be carefully selected ...light with enough stiffness to move air without resonating over the intended frequency range. So I’d be really surprised if they were vibrating the display itself but that said ... it’s possible.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: projectors, screens, and center channels - 05/14/21 03:46 AM
Strong bass would look like gravity waves, no?
Posted By: rrlev Re: projectors, screens, and center channels - 05/14/21 04:35 PM
No
Posted By: rrlev Re: projectors, screens, and center channels - 05/14/21 06:29 PM
Looks like you're right Trever ... they are vibrating the screen on at least some of the OLED Sony's. Wonder what frequency range they send to the panel vs. what they send to the speakers in back.

Although I've read nothing bad about it I also wonder about the quality of the sound. My only reason to question it is the lack of DML speakers/drivers on the market. The technology has been around for quite a while.
I didn't know there was an extended edition of Gladiator, so I used Netflix rather than my old dvd. Unfortunately couldn't find that scene. Somehow I no longer feel ENTERTAINED. First time trying to post a picture.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
That DIY screen looks great! Nice job. What PJ are you using? Nice picture.
My only reason to question it is the lack of DML speakers/drivers on the market. The technology has been around for quite a while.

They dont make bass below 150hz or so. You need many of them in a line array to get sound that has performance scale. If room was no issue for subs they are a really cool option for chess in his living room. There is a guy that made a Right and Left column out of them. Sounded eerily real (well through youtube with Dire Straits. Lol.)

https://youtu.be/lMvASSIvHtM
Thanks Trevor,

The projector is a cheapo Optoma HD142x, I bought the cheapest highly recommended 1080p projector thinking that 4k's will continue to drop in price and improve. I'm not disappointed with it but i do wish it had a few more lumens when there's ambient light in the room.
Smart purchase. Yes, 4K PJs are coming down. Hold on for a laser. Well worth the jump!
© Axiom Message Boards