Axiom Home Page
Posted By: ser182 SURROUND SPEAKER PROBLEM?? - 11/06/03 04:49 PM
I'm looking to buy the M22 for my fronts, but the backs are my problems. I was looking to buy the M3TI for my backs but i was stuck between them and the QS-4. I'm using 70% HT and 40% music.some one please help me. thx
Posted By: alan Re: SURROUND SPEAKER PROBLEM?? - 11/06/03 05:01 PM
Hi ser182,

Given the ratio of HT to music, I believe you'd much prefer the sense of envelopment that the QS4s will give you. And I think you'll like them a lot for music as well. I love my QS8s for movies and music. Besides, the M3ti's are not a close tonal match to the M22ti's. If you want to get direct-radating surrounds, get the M2i's.

And do put them to the sides, if you can, not the rear, although the QS4s are very accommodating and will work okay at the rear. But the main surrounds are intended to go to each side of the listening area.

Regards,
Posted By: spiffnme Re: SURROUND SPEAKER PROBLEM?? - 11/06/03 05:05 PM
Yep, yep, yep. Alan just said everything I was going to say.
Posted By: ser182 Re: SURROUND SPEAKER PROBLEM2?? - 11/06/03 07:03 PM
Hey thx for the suggestions. i know what i want know. I have one question. my setup will be 6.1. Now from diagrams that I have seen, they have the the two mains on the sides of the sceen. The two speaker at the rear and one in the middle. Is this right? Can I have them on the side(surr.) and one rear speaker to complete the 6.1??
Posted By: pmbuko Re: SURROUND SPEAKER PROBLEM2?? - 11/06/03 07:28 PM
A 6.1 system is as follows:
  1. Two main speakers to the left and right of the screen
  2. One center channel either above or below the screen
  3. Two surround channels to the left and right of your sitting position, mounted on the side walls about 6-7 feet above the floor and slightly behind your listening position.
  4. One rear surround channel mounted behind you at the same height as the side surrounds. (A 7.1 system uses a pair of rear surrounds.)
  5. One subwoofer placed anywhere you want it.

Posted By: JohnK Re: SURROUND SPEAKER PROBLEM2?? - 11/06/03 11:39 PM
Besides what Peter has described, the answer is yes, you can use just one speaker in the center back for the 6th channel. The reason that it's often suggested and illustrated that two speakers be used in back although there's only one channel(there's no "real" 7.1 format)is a psychoacoustical phenomenon which can cause a sound meant to be heard directly behind you to instead appear to come from directly in front. This can sometimes occur when only one speaker, directly behind you, is used; it can't happen when two separated speakers are used in back. Another possible reason for two back speakers is that some special processing(e.g. DPLIIx, Logic7)creates a difference in the signals which would go to the left and right back speakers, although this still wouldn't be "real" 7.1.
Posted By: mhorgel Re: SURROUND SPEAKER PROBLEM?? - 11/07/03 12:38 AM
In reply to:

I'm using 70% HT and 40% music.

I wish I could get 110% out of my Home Theater system!

Mark

Posted By: pmbuko Re: SURROUND SPEAKER PROBLEM?? - 11/07/03 01:00 AM
LOL. I'm usually pretty observant, but I completely missed that one.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: SURROUND SPEAKER PROBLEM?? - 11/07/03 01:09 AM
Perhaps you are a a LEETLE deestracted for some reason.
Posted By: fmowry Re: SURROUND SPEAKER PROBLEM?? - 11/07/03 01:18 PM
If athletes can always give %110, I'm sure his home theater setup can too!

Frank
© Axiom Message Boards