Axiom Home Page
Posted By: select 5.1 in small living room - 11/08/03 03:20 AM
Hello
My living room is 14*17 with the tv in the centre of one of the long walls.

Im looking to set up a 5.1 ht, for about 60% music.

the set up I was looking at would be
m22
vp150
hsu stf 1
qs8

is that overkill for such a small room, and also Im worried about the place ment of the surrond speakers, is it ok to put them only about a foot and a half from a corner?
Posted By: spiffnme Re: 5.1 in small living room - 11/08/03 03:23 AM
You must have done your research, because that sounds PERFECT for your room. You should love it.

Posted By: JohnK Re: 5.1 in small living room - 11/08/03 04:10 AM
Mark, as Craig said, that setup should give you excellent sound. On the QS8 placement, since you won't be using a 6th or 7th back speaker, you should place them to get a little "back" effect, i.e. on the side walls a foot or so from the corners or the back wall similar distances from the corners. Try both.
Posted By: select Re: 5.1 in small living room - 11/09/03 06:25 PM
great, thanks.

they only thing I question is the sub.

I almost feel like I should get either the vtf 2 or the stf 2, but I also dont want to make my neighbour below me have a heart attack.

Posted By: spiffnme Re: 5.1 in small living room - 11/09/03 08:14 PM
The sub issue is really up to you. Obviously the VTF-2 or STF-2 will go lower, and louder. But the STF-1 will still give you solid, clean bass.
Posted By: sushi Re: 5.1 in small living room - 11/09/03 11:27 PM
You will bother your neighbor below anyway, if you are not careful about listening levels appropriate for the time of the day. I believe that the VTF/STF-2 will provide cleaner bass, too, when listening at moderate volume levels (in addition to being capable of deeper and louder bass). I suggest you go with one of these if you can afford it.
Posted By: snippy Re: 5.1 in small living room - 11/10/03 12:36 AM
Yeah I find that cleaner, tighter bass is much less annoying than boomy bass. The people below me have a crappy boom box that is much more annoying than my Velodyne sub that reaches down to 20 Hz. Good clean sound does not disrupt any where near as much as bloated boomy bass does.
Posted By: select Re: 5.1 in small living room - 11/10/03 03:21 AM
yeah the stf-2 is only going to be a 100 dollors more then the -1. so I think I'll up the sub to that, and just keep the gains down.

Posted By: Hawkson101 Re: 5.1 in small living room - 11/13/03 03:24 AM
go with SVS
awsome is SVS
Posted By: select Re: 5.1 in small living room - 11/14/03 04:22 AM
yeah i looked at svs, but that wasjust more money
© Axiom Message Boards