Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Richard1958 Center speaker - 12/13/22 03:00 PM
I'm installing a home theater and from everything I've read the center speaker must be as close to the screen as possible. The problem is the best I can do is have the speaker mounted 27 inches in front of the screen. What potential problems will this cause?
Posted By: Mojo Re: Center speaker - 12/13/22 03:27 PM
No problem. Try to elevate it so that it's as close to the bottom of the screen as possible. Also make sure you're sitting at least 6 feet away.
Posted By: Richard1958 Re: Center speaker - 12/13/22 03:33 PM
The only place I can put it is above the screen but I can point it down towards listening level. Thanks for replying.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Center speaker - 12/13/22 04:05 PM
Is it going to be in a cabinet? If not, how much room do you have between the screen and the ceiling?
Posted By: Richard1958 Re: Center speaker - 12/13/22 04:11 PM
Its not going to be in a cabinet. It the point where I will mount the speaker there will just enough room for the speaker. After that the goings up at about a 30 degree angle.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Center speaker - 12/13/22 04:29 PM
You may want to consider mounting a regular bipolar speaker there instead of a center. Like an M2 or an M3...if there's room.
Posted By: Richard1958 Re: Center speaker - 12/13/22 06:54 PM
Thank you.
Posted By: rrlev Re: Center speaker - 12/13/22 09:38 PM
You can also put a speaker above & below the screen and try and image them.
People have claimed success doing this (if you can find speakers which fit your situation that is)
Posted By: Mojo Re: Center speaker - 12/14/22 02:44 AM
The dual center topology Rich has suggested is for girlie-men.
Posted By: michael_d Re: Center speaker - 12/17/22 05:12 PM
I like to have a center above and under the screen. The problem with doing that, however, is the lack of processing for two center channels. Not many, if ANY processors have independent center channel adjustments. Delay and loudness are what I'm really after.

But to the OP, as long as you can adjust distance and loudness to match your mains, you can mount it over the screen without much issue or concern. It is more ideal to have the tweeters at ear level, but that's not always practical in any home theater setup that does not use a perforated screen with speakers behind it.
Posted By: rrlev Re: Center speaker - 12/18/22 03:56 AM
Originally Posted by michael_d
I like to have a center above and under the screen. The problem with doing that, however, is the lack of processing for two center channels. Not many, if ANY processors have independent center channel adjustments.
I would handle the split external to the processor.
First try just sending the same center signal to both speakers. Bet 98% of the time that’s it.
If you need finer balance … there are external active and passive solutions to that as well
Posted By: michael_d Re: Center speaker - 12/18/22 06:01 PM
I looked into that before. It's not as simple as you suggest.....unless some new widget is available since I looked into it, several years back. Please post a link if you have specific recs.
Posted By: rrlev Re: Center speaker - 12/31/22 03:05 AM
Micheal,
Simple method:
Prepro —> y out connector
Y out a —> amp —> top center
Y out b —> amp —> bottom center

Your prepro will adjust the level correctly during cal

If you need control over the balance one solution is to substitute a 2ch mixer for the y connector
There are cheaper diy solutions but it takes a bit of know how.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Center speaker - 12/31/22 04:17 AM
That's just about as complicated as figuring out what theater is best for the new Avatar movie.
Posted By: rrlev Re: Center speaker - 12/31/22 12:43 PM
That’s easy … I’d watch it in my theater
Posted By: Hambrabi Re: Center speaker - 12/31/22 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by Mojo
That's just about as complicated as figuring out what theater is best for the new Avatar movie.

I'll watch Avatar 2 like I would any other movie: on my smartphone, propped up on my car's dashboard, while I take a nap waiting for my family to do their errands. smile
Posted By: rrlev Re: Center speaker - 12/31/22 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by Hambrabi
I'll watch Avatar 2 like I would any other movie: on my smartphone, propped up on my car's dashboard, while I take a nap waiting for my family to do their errands. smile
don’t tell me … you wired your car for 7.1.4 to get the full effect of that tiny screen smile
Posted By: Mojo Re: Center speaker - 12/31/22 07:24 PM
Please stay on topic.
Posted By: rrlev Re: Center speaker - 12/31/22 08:35 PM
Please stay on topic.
From the man who never stays on topic … grin
Posted By: Mojo Re: Center speaker - 01/01/23 12:14 AM
grin
Posted By: rrlev Re: Center speaker - 01/02/23 09:41 PM
Just saw this …Passive line attenuator
Probably the least expensive non-DIY way to balance top & bottom centers:
Just put it in line with the center you want to attenuate…. For example if you want less volume from your top center …

Prepro center out —> Y splitting cable
Y out a —> attenuator —> amp —> top center speaker
Y out b —> amp —> bottom center speaker

Simple, no? Happy new year
Posted By: Mojo Re: Center speaker - 01/03/23 01:46 AM
That'll destroy fidelity faster than Catherine the Great destroying her bumbling Peter.
Posted By: rrlev Re: Center speaker - 01/03/23 06:29 PM
That'll destroy fidelity faster than Catherine the Great destroying her bumbling Peter.
How so
Posted By: Mojo Re: Center speaker - 01/03/23 07:13 PM
It's a parasitic component. It may even act as a fusible link; no specs on voltage or current withstand.
Posted By: rrlev Re: Center speaker - 01/03/23 08:38 PM
It's a parasitic component. It may even act as a fusible link; no specs on voltage or current withstand.
Oh, your just dissing it because
Posted By: Mojo Re: Center speaker - 01/03/23 08:43 PM
Yup mostly due to no useful, basic specs.
Posted By: rrlev Re: Center speaker - 01/03/23 09:20 PM
Reason I found that attenuator was Amirm’s Review
Does that make this $10 part any more palatable?
Posted By: rrlev Re: Center speaker - 01/03/23 09:55 PM
FYI: Amirm did review another Passive attenuator
At $17 it looks and specs a bit better
But I suspect either will do the job
Posted By: Mojo Re: Center speaker - 01/03/23 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by rrlev
Reason I found that attenuator was Amirm’s Review
Does that make this $10 part any more palatable?

Yes. It'll work good with low level signals from pre/pro to amp. Just don't put it between your amp and speaker or it will act as a very good fusible link. smile
Posted By: rrlev Re: Center speaker - 01/03/23 10:35 PM
Ok then, it’s Mojo approved!! smile
Posted By: Mojo Re: Center speaker - 01/03/23 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by rrlev
FYI: Amirm did review another Passive attenuator
At $17 it looks and specs a bit better
But I suspect either will do the job

Yup. Use it for low level only.
Posted By: rrlev Re: Center speaker - 01/04/23 05:23 AM
You’re the only one who even thought someone might use it for any thing but line levels …
Posted By: Mojo Re: Center speaker - 01/04/23 04:50 PM
The OP didn't say he had an amp. I just wanted to make sure he doesn't use it for anything but line levels.
© Axiom Message Boards