Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Anonymous m22 via high pass crossover from Hsu VTF2 subwoofe - 01/19/02 05:07 AM
I recently purchased a pair of M22s as my main monitors in a 8X12 sized room. They sound great on an old stereo receiver. To upgrade my system, I purchased an Onkyo TXDS 494 receiver along with a Hsu VTF 2 subwoofer. The
Onkyo does not seem to have a selector for "large" or "small" speakers. I plan to use the high pass crossover on the Hsu where I would connect the subwoofer to the main L & R speaker inputs on the Onkyo and then connect the M22s to the subwoofer. Hsu Research describes the high pass crossover as "speaker level - 6 dB/Oct, approx 90 Hz with 8 ohm speaker." Will doing this be detrimental to my M22s?

The set up you have in mind would be alright for 2 channel music listening but for home theatre or any multi channel listening I would suggest you hook the sub to the line level sub output on the receiver. Running the M22s without a x-over in the low end is not a problem.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer
Posted By: Anonymous Re: m22 via high pass crossover from Hsu VTF2 subwoofe - 01/19/02 05:12 PM
The Onkyo 494 does have a large and small speaker option (with crossovers at 80 and 120 hz, respectively). There is a subwoofer control button on the front panel that has three options when you press it: off, large speakers, or small speakers. If you have a sub hooked up to the pre-out I don't think it's even possible to have power to the sub without either large or small speakers being selected. hope that's helpful to you.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: m22 via high pass crossover from Hsu VTF2 subwoofe - 01/23/02 03:29 AM
what crossover do you recommend for the m22's?

I recommend you experiment in your room. The M22s will run great on either the large or small setting on the receiver.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer
© Axiom Message Boards