Axiom Home Page
Posted By: fhw Best buy in a cheap FP? - 11/18/03 02:28 PM
Well, the HDTV monitor is officially a lemon, and I'll be getting a refund in time for the move to our new house. The good news is that the basement has very controllable ambient light, so I *may* have the option of putting a projector in.

I'll have about $3000 Cnd in refunded money for the TV, but really don't want to spend more than another $1000 on top of the refund for the projector, screen and installation (if necessary) together.

Any suggestions on what and where to buy?
Posted By: Type_E Re: Best buy in a cheap FP? - 11/18/03 04:50 PM
Get X1 for <$800 USD, watch for some Dell deals, and spend the rest for your screen
Posted By: JasonG Re: Best buy in a cheap FP? - 11/18/03 05:41 PM
Spend some time poking around projectorcentral.com... it's a wealth of information.

The InFocus X1 is supposed to be very good, as is the Panasonic PT-L300U.
Posted By: fhw Re: Best buy in a cheap FP? - 11/18/03 06:22 PM
Which would be the better buy, the X1 or the Boxlight Matinee? They're within a few hundred dollars of each other, and the Matinee is offered with a 3 year warranty.
Posted By: Saturn Re: Best buy in a cheap FP? - 11/18/03 07:15 PM
The X1 when I got mine was with 5 years warrantee.

http://www.spacelofts.com/x1/

Posted By: fhw Re: Best buy in a cheap FP? - 11/18/03 07:39 PM
What kind of screen do you own, Saturn? I see it's a 4x3, but is it a generic pull-down screen, or is it permanently mounted?
Posted By: Saturn Re: Best buy in a cheap FP? - 11/18/03 08:19 PM
Its a generic cheap pull down screen. Less than $200 cdn.
Bretford Series 200 I think Matte White. Click on the link on that page for the Bretford screen.
But the enclosure is on the ground and I have it pulled up.
It is held up by picture hooks.
This is a temp setup until I move to my new place.
fhw: Where are you located in Canada?

Posted By: fhw Re: Best buy in a cheap FP? - 11/18/03 09:14 PM
I'm in Halifax, but take several trips to Toronto per year. I have yet to investigate this thoroughly, because there are a couple of places here that sell screens and projectors. I doubt I'll get a better price on the projector than online, though.
Posted By: Saturn Re: Best buy in a cheap FP? - 11/19/03 02:20 AM
http://www.projectorscanada.ca/projectors.html
© Axiom Message Boards