Axiom Home Page
Posted By: gregfinnegan M22's enclosed in entertainment center - 12/01/03 07:19 AM
I'm having a custom entertainment center built for our playroom/media room. Since this room serves double duty and hosts kids of all ages, all the components and speakers will have little cubby holes in the center (VP150 and M22's) to protect them from wayward children. I've heard that putting speakers in a bookshelf is not a good thing. Just how bad is it to place an M22 in a cubby hole that is an inch or so wider and taller than the actual speaker?

Thanks,

Greg.
Posted By: JohnK Re: M22's enclosed in entertainment center - 12/01/03 07:42 AM
Not the ideal placement, Greg, but so be it if your situation requires it. Two points are to leave at least 3" of breathing space in back for the rear port of the M22s and to have the front of the speakers extend a little bit(say 1")out from the center to minimize diffraction effects.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: M22's enclosed in entertainment center - 12/01/03 05:58 PM
I agree with John's post. Placing a speaker in an enclosed space -- especially if the speaker is ported -- is almost like modifying the speaker's own cabinet. However, it's not the end of the world and you can do things to minimize the negative effects. You don't want the cabinetry to act as an extension of the speaker baffle, so like JohnK said, try to place the M22s just forward of flush with the entertainment center's face. Also leave enough breathing room behind the speaker (~ 3") for the port.

You won't really know how much the speaker's sound will be affected until you try it. It may actually be fine. Even if the sound is noticeably affected, the trade-off you're making for the sake of security sounds like it'll be worth it. Those kids are going to be spoiled with good sound.
slightly off topic advice
have you thought about attaching the m22 to the wall? axiom sells high quality brackets.
Just put the speaker high enough and that could work
Posted By: jtm60 Re: M22's enclosed in entertainment center - 12/02/03 02:45 AM
Or..if you build them into the wall...make the bottom of the bookshelf such that it slides,on wheels like a desk drawer..that way you can push them all the way into the wall when the kids are around, or pull them out when you want to listen, plus it would allow you some room to experiment with distance from the rear port to the wall, for different sounds.
that sounds like a really cool project!

By the way McFoley's back!
Posted By: joema Re: M22's enclosed in entertainment center - 12/22/03 04:43 AM
I'm in a similar situation - having custom cabinet built and will have M22tis and VP100 inside (for a variety of reasons). I know it's not acoustically optimal, but the M22s will have 8 in. clearance left and right, and 12 in. rear clearance. I'm hoping that will minimize the adverse affects.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: M22's enclosed in entertainment center - 12/22/03 06:34 AM
As long as they're out to the edge, it should be fine.
© Axiom Message Boards