Axiom Home Page
Posted By: jakewash Yamaha Vs. Denon - 12/27/03 05:33 AM
Which would you choose. The Yamaha HTR5660 or the Denon 1804? I have QS4 rears and vp100 center. My bose 201 mains are to be replaced by m22's very soon. I also hope to upgrade my sub next year. The room my HT system is in is only 12x16. Any thoughts on this set up are appreciated.
Posted By: JimmyTango Re: Yamaha Vs. Denon - 12/27/03 01:41 PM
The Yamaha HTR series are not that good.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Yamaha Vs. Denon - 12/27/03 01:54 PM
Have to disagree with you on that one.

from Yamaha's site:

In reply to:

What is the difference between Yamaha's HTR and RXV Series?

Yamaha’s HTR and RXV series offer many parallel models. The two are comparable in terms of aesthetics, warranty and technological features. Our HTR Series receivers are sold through Mass Merchandisers (Examples: Future Shop, Best Buy, The Brick) and our RXV Series are available through authorized independent dealers.

I think a lot of people are of the opinion that RXV series are better because their salesperson was a little older, dressed better and had an "up market accent"

But back to the question at hand. I don't think either one is "better" than the other. Look for the features that you require and then make the decision.

All things being equal comfort factor with your dealer may be a big factor. For instance I'd never buy Onkyo at my local dealer as it's populated 100% by weasels.

cheers

Ford

Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Yamaha Vs. Denon - 12/27/03 01:59 PM
for what it's worth it appears as if the RX-V640 is the same as the HTR-5660 that you are looking at.
Posted By: JimmyTango Re: Yamaha Vs. Denon - 12/27/03 03:14 PM
You answered my question before I got to ask it. Which model in the RX-V range does it compare to? Ah, the 640. And the 640 is not that special, either. IMO, Yamaha's do not start getting good until you hit the RX-VXXXX, as in 4 numbers, not three. It is not that the HTR series gets a lot of it's guts from the RX-V series, it is the lower HTR series shares it mass produced, lower quality guts with the RX-V series.

I'd look into Denon or H/K for the price range you ar elooking at spending. The H/K 325 can be had for $400 shipped if you are patient enough to wait for a good deal off of H/K's ebay auctions.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Yamaha Vs. Denon - 12/27/03 03:33 PM
Good advice on the H/K, I'm close to getting one even though the pricing structure in Canada is very bad compared to US prices.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Yamaha Vs. Denon - 12/27/03 04:46 PM
I too am in Canada and the price for the HK's are just enough that I can't really afford it and I am not sure if an extra few amps going out to the speakers is worth all the extra money. I have actually gone ahead and bought the Denon. It sounds great and WAF is much better with this than with the cheapie SONY STRDE695 I had purchased earlier. She likes the 5/6 channel stereo that the Sony did not have and I like the extra clarity and juice to the speakers. Thanks for the thoughts. I was originally looking into the Yamaha RXV-xxxx Series but again a little more than I could afford. Decided money better spent now on better speakers.
© Axiom Message Boards