Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Hawkson101 Starting Over - 12/27/03 09:38 PM
After waiting for 2 months to decide on a system for my 15x17 room i went with the hk 525, 4 m22s and svs 25-31pci. Now it is time to start over. Before recieving any of the system i thought the one piece i might return was the hk 525. Well the only piece i am not returning is the hk 525.
Apparently 4 channel stereo does not sound twice as good as two channel stereo:). So i am going to be sending back at least two m22s, but possibly all of them for an m60. Furthermore, the subwoofer is broken. I dont think i am keeping it anyways because it is too big- the actual height of a 25-31 is 32.5 inches, 32.5 inches will not fit under my 32 inch desk:(

So, i am back at the begining. For the most part i will be only listening to music for now(eventually i will get 5.1). Should i go with m60? m60 and VTF-2/STF-2? m22 and VTF-2/STF-2? or should i just return everything and pick up a new less expensive hobby like model trains?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Starting Over - 12/28/03 12:56 AM
Have you considered taking up philately?
Posted By: curtis Re: Starting Over - 12/28/03 02:26 AM
My two cents:

Send them all back. Get the M60's and STF-2. I think that would be a better music system all the way around and cost less.

or

Keep a pair of M22's, send the other pair and the SVS back, get the STF-2.
Posted By: snippy Re: Starting Over - 12/28/03 05:00 AM
Did you try out DVD-A or SACD, they would sound great with that system, considering you get another M22 or center channel for it. That would sound awesome on your system.

Otherwise, I agree, M60 + HSU. SVS does also makes Box subs, so check them out vs the cylinder subs. And SVS box subs come in different finishes.
Posted By: Hawkson101 Re: Starting Over - 12/28/03 06:03 AM
------------------------------
Have you considered taking up philately?
------------------------------

Hmmm. Sounds like an idea. Upgraditis also will not be as much of a problem. I am pretty sure i can get the top model right now. It will be the best 34 cent investment i have ever made.

But as for the speakers issue, which is better for music-the STF or the VTF. I know the VTF can be tuned differently, but how important is that for music listening?
Also, is it worth going from a 470 dollar m22(i bought FMBs) to an 800 dollar m60 even if i own a good sub? If i get the m60 i can return the FMBs
Posted By: JimmyTango Re: Starting Over - 12/28/03 07:37 AM
I have the STF-2 and it is a great sub. Nice, clean bass, just what I like.
Posted By: Highland121 Re: Starting Over - 12/28/03 04:26 PM
If you are listening to music only, for now, might you consider just a pair of M60s with, dare I suggest, no sub?!? A bass guitar low E note is about 41 Hz. The M60 will reproduce down to 37 Hz.
I really love my HK AVR-525, and that is all I will say about that...Good luck
Posted By: JimmyTango Re: Starting Over - 12/28/03 07:20 PM
Love my 525 also. My friend's jaw dropped when he heard the STF-2 the other day(in town for the Christmas). He could not beleive how clean and deep it was, for $400. He even laughed before hearing it when I told them HSU got CompUSA to sell their subs. Then he ate crow after hearing it.

The best is when I told him i had the sub only at 50%. He asked me to turn it up, I did. No sounds of the woofer under stress, still ultra clean bass at an insane volume.

I'd keep the Axiom set up you have and get the STF-2 sub. That leaves you only a center channel away from a theater, something you say you will go to in the future. I do not see the need to send everything back, eat all the shipping costs, etc.
Posted By: Hawkson101 Re: Starting Over - 12/28/03 07:51 PM

I decided i will pay the shipping charges and return everything for an m60. It is in my budget, and i actually save money by returning 4 FMBs and 4 m22s for an m60

will the stf-2 rock the house? The one sticking point i have on the STF is everyone who talks about SVS says it demolishes every piece of movable furniture in the house. People who talk about the STF says its a really nice sub. See the difference? Has anyone heard both? The reason i ask is because they are sending me a new 25-31pci on monday and it should get here by friday(free shipping since it was broken when it got here). But if i call them on monday and tell them no thanks, and use the electronic shipping tag they gave me over email(allows me to send the broken SVS back free of charge) i will never be able to hear an SVS.

Posted By: curtis Re: Starting Over - 12/28/03 08:31 PM
Do you want a sub that demolishes everything? It is one thing to be able to play loud, but also being able to be accurate and tight with music is different.

If you want it get louder....then wait for the STF-3.

My two cents on a sub - music first! Much harder for a sub to do music well than it is for it to play loud.

Here is a recent write-up on the Hsu VTF-3. All the Hsu subs follow the same values.

http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/hsu_vtf3.htm
Posted By: JimmyTango Re: Starting Over - 12/28/03 09:10 PM
The STF-2 is plenty load and 'shakes the house' enough for me. Of course, if you go into higher price ranges, your furniture more with those.

At the same time, I do not want all bass drowning out the mids and high's. So I am not going to spend a boat load on a sub like that, as to me it is dumb and pointless to hear all bass.

If you want your house to shake, your floor boards to break apart, spend more and get a sub that is built just for that.

If you want good, clean, tight, deep bass that you will not be able to tell is coming from a sub(melds perfectly with speakers), then I highly recommend HSU.
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Starting Over - 12/28/03 09:43 PM
it is SOO Much harder to find a sub that will sound good with music than movies..

Case and point. my KLH 100 dollar 10 inch 120 watt sub. costco special. music it blows chunks like nothin you have ever seen.

For movies. it still does. lol but not as bad. Its more like the theater subs. I watched pirates of carribean lastnight and i honestly thought i was gonna blow the sub a couple of times but it held up. it doesnt go real deep and its not real controlled but it sure booms.
Posted By: samandnoah SVS Subs - 12/29/03 03:18 PM
Just to chime in as a "defender" of the SVS subs. Yes, they are outstanding -- both HT and music. I also love the Hsu subs, so I am not dissing them at all. I happened to get an excellent deal on a used 20-39pci SVS sub. It shakes the house when it needs to (my fireplace has this funny resonance somewhere around 36Hz), but is incredibly tight and unobtrusive when reproducing music. I find it works well with a wide range of music, from classical to classic rock, blue grass to metal, and string quartets to Outkast.

The tube shape does make it a challenge to fit in in certain decors, and I probably wouldn't try to keep one under a desk since the top should not be obstructed (or at least that is my understanding).

Regards,
Rich
Posted By: Hawkson101 Re: SVS Subs - 12/29/03 04:03 PM
well i pulled the trigger. i returned the 25-31pci svs (32.5 inches does not fit under a 32 inch desk0). i bought an m60 and will ship out my m22s today. 82 bucks in shipping to canada
now i just have to decide on a sub
Posted By: spiffnme Re: SVS Subs - 12/29/03 05:47 PM
The M60's will be great. Hsu is your sub my man. Depending on how much BANG you want. The STF-2 or STF-3.

Let us know how you like the M60's when they arrive!

Posted By: topr Re: SVS Subs - 12/29/03 06:39 PM
I have been using a Paradigm PS1000 sub which has been a really good sub, no complaints at all. I gave it to a friend and hooked up a new VTF-2 Saturday. I have a 4mo old pup that has set/slept through about a dozen movies and hours of music. Within the first 3 minutes of LOTR the VTF-2 had the dog off the floor and in my lap. The Hsu will be just fill your need. Good luck with the M60's
Posted By: Hawkson101 Re: SVS Subs - 12/29/03 11:07 PM
thanks for all the help guys(i think thats the second time i have said that)
m60 plus stf-2
i think i probably would have gone with a different svs if it wasnt for the relentless push of the stf-2 by spiffnme.
thanks again

edit-those m22s really sounded good though. hopefully the m60s ship soon so i can do a side by side comparison before returning the m22s
Posted By: jfoxtrot9 Re: SVS Subs - 12/30/03 07:50 PM
I have had the m60s and a vtf2 for just over a week now. Stinkin' WOW!!!!! I love this setup! You will be very happy. I have Judas Priest JAMMIN' right now. Amazing performance for the buck by Axiom and Hsu both! I can't say enough about these speakers...............
Posted By: spiffnme Re: SVS Subs - 12/30/03 07:58 PM
wow...Judas Priest. I didn't know anyone listened to them anymore.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: SVS Subs - 12/30/03 08:01 PM
It's the devil's music, I tell ya!
Posted By: spiffnme Re: SVS Subs - 12/30/03 08:06 PM
I know...even more so since their lead singer came out of the closet. Don't listen to too much or you'll go straight to hell too. LOL
Posted By: nowave Re: SVS Subs - 12/30/03 08:29 PM
Hahaha...

I love your choice of words - "straight to hell"

very very punny indeed.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: SVS Subs - 12/30/03 08:30 PM
That must have been one HUGE closet. Either that or very tiny. I have no idea.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: SVS Subs - 12/30/03 08:42 PM
Worship the devil!
Shout Satan's might!
Deathtongue! Deathtongue!
The beast rises tonight!

Bwah ha ha!
Posted By: jfoxtrot9 Re: SVS Subs - 12/30/03 09:37 PM
Hey, first off, as far as that closet thing goes, the rule is, "we just don't talk about that!" And, now with my testament, future buyers can also know that Axiom (and Hsu) jams "Metal" real fine too!
Posted By: Hawkson101 Re: SVS Subs - 12/30/03 10:35 PM
http://www.judaspriest.com

let the good times roll
rock out

Posted By: pmbuko Re: SVS Subs - 12/30/03 10:53 PM
put [ url] and [ /url] around the link (but take out the spaces after the [.
© Axiom Message Boards