Axiom Home Page
Posted By: pdermody VP150 and M80's - 12/29/03 04:48 AM
So I have had my Axiom setup now for almost a year, and for the most part I am happy. However, one thing that has kinda bugged me off and on is that the VP150 doesnt seem to match the M80's timbre/clarity.

I have done a few searches here in the forums, as well as AVS, and HTF for 'VP150 dull/muffled/muddy' and havent really come up with much of a solution for my situation. I have read through various things like 'adjusting position' (which I have done from below, above, and at ear level just for grins), to getting the angle 'just right'.

Is there anything else that I am missing or have overlooked? ? Perhaps I damaged the VP150 somehow? (albeit I have verified that the tweeters and drivers are functioning). Or is this just a fact of the VP150 and the M80's?

Right now all the tests that I have done and have been just 'by the ear' tests with Avia (however spl calibrated for my seating position), and a few movies and a buddy to help move the center around. However, nothing I have done so far has satisfied me short of disabling the VP150 and going with a phantom center which sounds great (from my seating position only of course).

Will probably do some more tests next weekend with a couple of borrowed centers and maybe fire up ETF for grins, but thought I would see if anyone else had any suggestions.

-pd
Posted By: Hawkson101 Re: VP150 and M80's - 12/29/03 07:08 AM
I have a couple non scientific suggestions you may want to try

do the m80s match each other well? Try listening to 1 m80 and the center channel if you are not sure. it may be the m80s are off, and not the center channel.

check the connections between reciever and vp 150.

what other equipment are you using to power your setup

I am not sure, but it may have something to do with the fact the m80s are 4 ohms and the vp150 is 6 ohms. probably not though
Posted By: pmbuko Re: VP150 and M80's - 12/29/03 08:06 AM
Have you verified that each driver on the VP150 is working? With some center channel material playing at low volumes, take the grill off and move your ear in front of each driver to make sure they all work.
Posted By: pdermody Re: VP150 and M80's - 12/29/03 07:51 PM
I have gone through and verified that all the components in the VP150 are functioning via the ear test. As for timbre matching between the two M80's - yeah they match and sound great. While running through some of the Avia tones I did move the center next to one of the M80's as I thought maybe the difference was location but it still sounded like the center had a blanket thrown over it.

As for whats powering the speakers, a Denon 3803, and actually I have tested with two seperate 3803's as I originally thought it was a receiver issue many moons ago.

-pd
Posted By: spiffnme Re: VP150 and M80's - 12/29/03 09:14 PM
Is your VP150 sitting on top of your TV? Try moving it out a bit, so the VP150 is not flush with the front of the TV. That may help a bit, but not as much as what it sounds like you're looking for.
Posted By: pdermody Re: VP150 and M80's - 12/29/03 09:24 PM
Yeah it was on top of the TV, however I have tried moving it out, back, up, and down without too much luck.

-pd
Posted By: Type_E Re: VP150 and M80's - 12/30/03 03:01 AM
I wonder if it is a damaged VP150 or VP150 really doesn't match the M80
Posted By: MiniRock Re: VP150 and M80's - 12/30/03 09:14 AM
Are all channels calibrated to the same DB level using the Radio Shack SPL meter?

Is the speaker wire to the front 3 channels the same (all the same gage)?

Are you using any additional power amps for your mains and only the reciever for the center?

Posted By: pdermody Re: VP150 and M80's - 12/30/03 03:54 PM
Yes all speakers are spl calibrated for my seating position, all 3 speakers are using the same 12 gauge wire, and I am not using any additional power amps for any of the channels (yet).

That being said, is there any easy way of testing if I have a defective center? I mean I have done the ear test where I listen to each tweeter and driver to see if sound is coming out - but maybe I have a different issue? I mean short of ordering a second VP150 for testing/comparison?

-pd
Posted By: Type_E Re: VP150 and M80's - 12/30/03 04:07 PM
seems like similar problem to me.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Advice&Number=28106&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=
Posted By: pdermody Re: VP150 and M80's - 12/30/03 04:24 PM
yeah, his first comment about it sounding different than his M60's sounds similar. His other comments about directional sounding I dont have an issue with.

-pd
Posted By: Type_E Re: VP150 and M80's - 12/30/03 04:51 PM
http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Advice&Number=23698&page=9&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

Posted By: pdermody Re: VP150 and M80's - 12/30/03 05:09 PM
Yeah I read through that thread as well, tried the various things mentioned in almost every search result I could find. Thanks for the link though.

-pd
© Axiom Message Boards