Axiom Home Page
Posted By: RawCode Small room setup suggestions - 12/31/03 04:05 PM
It will be in a 12' x 10' x 11' usable space. (Black lines are measured from island corner) See here: http://web.acsalaska.net/~gonnason/stereo.jpg

We plan to position the entertainment center against the 11' tall wall. This will leave us about 5' from the tv, and front stage.

With being so close to the front stage, I was thinking about forgoing M50 or M60 towers for the M22ti bookshelves and a VP150 center. (QS8 surrounds later)

I plan on getting a decent subwoofer eventually and also a new H/K receiver. But basiclly for now I just want to try and get a good front stage for the limited room. I listen to 30% games, 50% movies, and 20% music.

Any suggestions or thoughts regarding a home theater setup in such a confined space?
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Small room setup suggestions - 12/31/03 04:48 PM
The M22's would probably work well, though you may be ok with the M2i's as well. You are correct that towers wouldn't be the best choice for your situation.

What say thee fellow Axiomites?
Posted By: RawCode Re: Small room setup suggestions - 12/31/03 05:16 PM
I have noticed that the Axiom lines seem to try and maintain the same type of sound, but increases in power handling and volume. Which is something I like.

Will the M3ti's be a better choice than the M2ti's since they are only $20 more?
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Small room setup suggestions - 12/31/03 06:04 PM
The M3ti is most often used in a small room for 2 channel stereo use. It has a bit more pronounced bass, and a more mellow midrange. It's Axioms "bedroom" speaker of choice.

The M2i will be cleaner, and have a bit of added clarity over the M3ti. The M2i is often used in conjunction with a subwoofer for the typical sub/sat setup. They're also very popular as rear channels in a 7.1 setup.
Posted By: OakLawn Re: Small room setup suggestions - 12/31/03 08:33 PM
You may be quite impressed with the M22s in that size room. Being so close, I wonder if the VP100 may be better than the 150. Time for you to call axiom
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Small room setup suggestions - 12/31/03 09:07 PM
I'm sure the M22 would work nicely as well. I'm just sugggesting that he could also get away with the M2i and probably be very happy.
Posted By: Hawkson101 Re: Small room setup suggestions - 12/31/03 09:39 PM
i would go for the vp 100 m22 and qs8s. the m22s are really good and will really fit your room well.
although i have never heard the m2s, it seems like they would also do a good job. r
emember, HT is more of an investment then anything else. these speakers will be with you a while, and if you ever plan on moving, or switching rooms, take that into account when purchasing speakers.

go for the m22s and dont look back
Posted By: Shroud Re: Small room setup suggestions - 01/01/04 12:59 AM
I've got the M22s in a small room and find myself quite satisfied.
Posted By: Blooz1 Re: Small room setup suggestions - 01/01/04 01:15 AM
I'm using M2I's in a room that's about 15'x12', and they do a great job. These are paired with an EP125 sub, which has more than enough power for the room and the type of music I usually listen to. (Blues, jazz, and classical)

The statement about HT equipment being an investment is a good point. In my case, I don't see my requirements changing anytime in the near future, so there's no need for larger speakers or more power on the sub.
Posted By: mhorgel Re: Small room setup suggestions - 01/01/04 01:25 AM
In reply to:

there's no need for larger speakers or more power on the sub.

There's no need, but there's always want!.

If you hang around here long enough, Blooz1, you'll start to feel onset of an illness known as upgradeitis. It is characterized by constant desire to improve one's HT system, usually at exponentially increased cost for incrementally increased performance. For instance, I got my dream receiver a year ago, and I'm already jonesing for an Outlaw 770 200x7 watt power amp. Do I need 1400 watts of power in my smallish family room? Absolutely not! But I desire it!

Mark
Posted By: RawCode Re: Small room setup suggestions - 01/01/04 03:49 AM
I guess I should have also informed the forum, about the type of music that I listen to. I listen to a variety of music but with emphasis on Techno, but more specificly, Drum and Bass. So I think I am also going to require a nice musical and dynamic sub. (Basiclly lots of engineered low frequency music)

I haven't decided between the M2i's and the m22's, but I am leaning towards the M22's. They should sound better and have a better chance at surviving upgrades.

I am also going to pick the V150 for the same reason, but it is also such a small difference in price.

QS8's, again for the same reasons as the VP150.

Now the only real question is the sub. I am going to do a bit more searching. (Been reading here more over a month before I posted) But any first suggestions? Hopefully not too spendy, but if the musical quality of the sub is there, it will be worth it.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Small room setup suggestions - 01/01/04 05:29 AM
Check out SVS and Hsu. They're both highly regarded, although Hsu has a bit of an edge 'round here, lately. You'll probably want to go for one of the bigger models, but both will blow you away. Pmbuko's got an SVS PB1 that I've heard, and it's very impressive; deep, powerful, musical, etc. I haven't heard the Hsus, but they're very well though of.
Posted By: gizzyeq Re: Small room setup suggestions - 01/01/04 08:15 AM
first off happy new year all =)
the svs cylinder subs are sexy as hell hehe
and their no slouch either
Posted By: Blooz1 Re: Small room setup suggestions - 01/01/04 10:29 PM
HAR! I know that feeling very well, MHargel!
I go through enough of that with my computers! They are always in a state of flux - but at least that can be done without huge gouts of cash.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Small room setup suggestions - 01/01/04 10:53 PM
For your size room, and for what you listen to, I'd look no further than the Hsu VTF-2 or STF-2. They'll keep up with the fastest, loudest bass you can throw at them.
Posted By: RawCode Re: Small room setup suggestions - 01/02/04 06:36 AM
I was also looking at the VTF-2 or STF-2. They seem to be really good, but is it true that they can be had at compusa for around 350-400 dollars? If so that would be great as I live in Alaska and would hate to pay for shipping.
Posted By: Hawkson101 Re: Small room setup suggestions - 01/02/04 06:58 AM
yes
they did offer the hsu at comp usa, but i dont know if they do anymore
i would go to the HSU forum and do a search on comp usa

Posted By: boomer Re: Small room setup suggestions - 01/04/04 07:13 AM
I bought an Hsu STF-2 at CompUSA today for $350.

The VTF-2 is on sale direct from www.hsuresearch.com for $450 with free shipping.

© Axiom Message Boards