Axiom Home Page
Posted By: kittel DVD players....What the diff? - 01/01/04 08:16 AM
Im in the market for a new DVD player and want to get something that really compliments my system. I have a 55 inch wide screen HD Mitz TV, Yamaha 1400 A/V receiver, M60s, VP 150, QS-8s and an SVS 20-39 sub.

MY question is, what the difference between DVD players and what should I look for? Do some really have better audio and video? I know progressive scan is a must. Are multi channel outs better?

DVD players range from $100 to $1000 and more. It seems like there should be some pretty drastic differences between them.

Im considering the Denon DVD-2200. Any thoughts on that? What about players that hold like 400 discs? Any thoughts on those?

Thanx for you input
Posted By: fhw Re: DVD players....What the diff? - 01/01/04 02:17 PM
There are differences between the $100 el cheapos and other DVD players. While the performance difference wouldn't be overly significant on a small TV, a big screen can demonstrate big differences in picture quality. There are also differences in features, such as multi-disc, progressive scan,recording, DVD-A/SACD capability, etc.

In general, for the next level of performance, you're looking at an 80% increase in price i.e. to do better than a $300 player you'll spend $5-600, and over $1000 for the next level.

With a Silicon Image line doubler and universal compatibility, the 2200 will be the last player you'll need for a while. You won't regret the extra investment.

Posted By: kittel Re: DVD players....What the diff? - 01/01/04 03:01 PM
Thanks for the scoop. I went ahead and order the Denon 2200 today. I read a lot of bad review regarding Denons 2800, about it freezing up among other things. I see they have since come out with the Mark II so I hope this is Denons response to these issues.

Id be interested in hearing from anyone who has owned a 2200 for awhile.
Posted By: mhorgel Re: DVD players....What the diff? - 01/01/04 03:18 PM
The 2200 also plays DVD-Audio and SACD discs.

Mark
© Axiom Message Boards