Axiom Home Page
Posted By: sputnikv8 So... what am I hearing? - 01/04/04 11:02 PM
Well, I've had close to a week with my new Axioms. (M2, VP150, QS8).

I replaced some old low-end Yamaha 3-way bookshelves and an "average" kenwood center (for being a cheapie, it had a solid build to it). What am I hearing now? I knew the metallic woofer/tweeter was going to provide clarity and be a little brighter. But why is it feeling a little uncomfortable at times?

I'm all for clarity. Is it just my adjusting from the muddyness of my previous speakers that feels "different" to me?
Posted By: Hawkson101 Re: So... what am I hearing? - 01/04/04 11:07 PM
hmm. what type of music are you playing? it could be the recordings are not very good. also, turn down the treble slightly. in a week you will be used to the m2s and you will turn up the treble to even.
i think it takes some time getting used to the clarity and detail of the axioms.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: So... what am I hearing? - 01/04/04 11:10 PM
Definately have the tone controls set to "0" or maybe down a notch if you feel the highs are still too much. So many people crank the tone controls all the way up. Youch...my ears hurt just thinking about that!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: So... what am I hearing? - 01/04/04 11:15 PM
I used to crank the mid tone control all the way up to compensate for speakers that had no midrange. Didn't really help...
Posted By: sputnikv8 Re: So... what am I hearing? - 01/05/04 12:33 AM
Thanks for that tip. I will turn the treble way down and see. My wife, who is much more musically inclined than I am, loves the clarity and assures me these are accurate.

I'm just not used to it myself!

The problem I have is usually during watching TV. We are going to get a dish soon so, probably me just using an antenna (YA..people still do that!!!) is a poor signal therefore a poor "recording" and that may be part of my problem.

On the DTS sampler disc the Eagle's "Hotel California" is a great demo piece and I have NO complaints with it. We've watched a couple action DVD's and only once or twice did I have an issue with the sound. Music CD's are very good.

Just getting used to things I guess.

One thing I notice as I type this in the kitched at the other end of the greatroom nearly 30 feet from the LCR speakers -- I think the sound is "richer" and not harsh at all. Surely this isn't my new sweet spot!!
Posted By: spiffnme Re: So... what am I hearing? - 01/05/04 01:44 AM
TV audio is notoriously bad. If it sounds good with music, and most DVD's you're all set.
Posted By: Hawkson101 Re: So... what am I hearing? - 01/05/04 05:54 AM
another possibilty for the sound is break in time. my m22s took longer to break in then my m60s. BUT, this may have been a mental issue too. going from m22s to m60s is a lot easier then going from the computer speakers i own to the m22s. Even still, there was a noticeable difference after breaking them in.

also, what is your reciever? maybe it is time for an upgrade
Posted By: Hawkson101 Re: So... what am I hearing? - 01/05/04 05:58 AM
i almost forgot-
http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=HT&Number=27470&Search=true&Forum=All_Forums&Words=sibilance&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=6months&Main=27440
some tv mics are harsh, so be wary.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: So... what am I hearing? - 01/05/04 08:52 PM

© Axiom Message Boards